What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a tuna and macaroni salad for lunch...will have leftovers for dinner tonight (and lunch tomorrow). Angel food cake is in the oven for dessert.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Served with Choice of Toast or Angel Food Pancakes (I asked them to leave out the cheese.)
I was intrigued by "Angel Food Pancakes", so I looked up some recipes. They're just "regular" angel food cake batter, fried in a skillet like pancakes. Since I happened to have a fresh batch of angel food cake batter on hand (:p), I saved some and tried a pancake.

Burned the bottom before I flipped it, but that's pretty darned yummy (after scraping off the burned part). I'm going to have to work on perfecting those. :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A huge batch of seared vegetables of all kinds with a bit of bacon/bacon grease for a flavor punch, with some chicken on the side!
This weekend I'm making yogurt.
Pros:
-It's fun, easy, and the longer you leave it sit the thicker it gets so if you like runny-type yogurt, 12 hours is plenty but if you want it thicker, 18-20 hours, and if you like custard-style, 24+.
-Cats and dogs love it if they can handle dairy.
-1/2 gallon of milk can make plenty, so it's fun to share with neighbors or friends.
Cons:
-It steals my oven away from me so I'm only allowed to use the stove top or take-away food, and since I leave it 24+ hr., I'm limited.
-If I wake up at 3:30AM and stumble into the kitchen for a glass of water I have a mild heart attack when I see the oven light on and spend 1/2 second wondering why the oven is on, LOL

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This weekend I'm making yogurt.
OH COME ON! You know we need more information than that! I'd love to try making yogurt.

For tonight, another pork chop with dressing.

Shopping tomorrow. I want to look for 1-cup freezer containers so I can buy buttermilk and sweet milk and freeze to have on hand for making dressing.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First step, leave the oven off but turn the oven light on! =)
We heat the milk on the stove until about 180 degrees F, then remove it from heat and let it cool to 115 or so (this can take some time if you make a big batch!) Add starter or yogurt (I use yogurt already made), about 1 tablespoon in a pint sized jar. When the milk is cool, pour it into the jars that have the starter and cover. Set in your oven with the light ON, leave 12-24 hours.
There are a lot of variations but this is what we've been happy with. Use a thermometer when heating/cooling, guesswork needs to be left behind for this one! =)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding to my yogurt recipe:
Make plenty and surprise your family and friends and neighbors with home made yogurt! It's a nice thing to do...and you might need a favor some day ;):p

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are a lot of variations but this is what we've been happy with.
THANKS! I have that copied and pasted onto a word doc, and filed in my recipe file! AND have added a good candy thermometer to the list of "must haves" for the kitchen! OOPS...should go and add a meat thermometer, as well!

Yesterday I didn't get here. NO sleep the night before, and a shopping trip at 9 in the morning...I was just so tired I was stupid. Ate a hot dog and dozed in my chair. HOWEVER, I did go shopping, and I have black beans in the crock pot as we speak, with bell peppers, onions, and a nice, juicy ham bone. DANG...If I had thought about it, I'd have left the onions out, then dug the ham bone out before the last two hours, added the onions then. I could have set the bone out for the ferals! Oh, well. I'll remember to do that next time!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THANKS! I have that copied and pasted onto a word doc, and filed in my recipe file! AND have added a good candy thermometer to the list of "must haves" for the kitchen! OOPS...should go and add a meat thermometer, as well!

Yesterday I didn't get here. NO sleep the night before, and a shopping trip at 9 in the morning...I was just so tired I was stupid. Ate a hot dog and dozed in my chair. HOWEVER, I did go shopping, and I have black beans in the crock pot as we speak, with bell peppers, onions, and a nice, juicy ham bone. DANG...If I had thought about it, I'd have left the onions out, then dug the ham bone out before the last two hours, added the onions then. I could have set the bone out for the ferals! Oh, well. I'll remember to do that next time!
Oh no!! Sorry about the sleeplessness. There's nothing worse than trying to do stuff when you feel like an insomniac zombie =(

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
GOD THAT SOUNDS GOOD! But I don't drive, and the only decent place that delivered has moved to the next town over, which is far, far larger than mine. Heck, most third-world villages are larger than my town.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GOD THAT SOUNDS GOOD! But I don't drive, and the only decent place that delivered has moved to the next town over, which is far, far larger than mine. Heck, most third-world villages are larger than my town.
Our town is kind of small, too. Map-worthy but not really all that big but it's OK =)
I hate it when good delivery places move. Don't they know there are loyal customers with random cravings? =(
I drive, but secretly I hate it. I don't drive much (no need) and am OK on most 2 lane roads but when I hit the interstate or the highway I clam up. We have some really nasty parts of highways that I flat refuse to drive on. Unfortunately one of our guys needs to see his regular vet for an annual check up (getting up there in years and I want to keep him healthy) but I dread the drive. I'll probably wait so I can be the passenger...

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight we had a seasoned boneless pork chop on the Geo. Foreman grill. I fried some okra I froze last summer. We ate that with the potato salad left over from last night. On the side was a small dish of canned peach slices.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight we had a seasoned boneless pork chop on the Geo. Foreman grill. I fried some okra I froze last summer. We ate that with the potato salad left over from last night. On the side was a small dish of canned peach slices.
What seasonings do you like on pork chops? Okra and potato salad and peaches sound like a wonderful compliment =)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So tomorrow night we're going to watch the Derby and celebrate with the winner with food thawing for tomorrow--stew meat, peppers and onions hacked up into larger pieces, maybe throw in some other veggies and just call it good or some rice, or maybe potatoes.
For the pets....there's whole ground (bone in) chicken for the cats, and bison and turkey meat chunks for all with some chicken hearts....and some tripe hunks for anyone that fancies a chew after their meal tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.