What's for dinner? - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some Doro Wat simmering on the stove! It's been cooking for about 3 hours and my entire house smells SOOOO wonderful! It should be ready in about an hour, so I will have some for a late lunch and most likely again tonight for a late dinner.  Doro Wat is the National dish of Ethiopia and I can hardly wait until it is ready to eat! 
could you describe it?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sound delicious @Fyllis.
I had some barley and lentil soup. Yum. Then I had grilled chicken breast with chips and tomatoes. Jolly nice and we finished with Terry' s chocolate orange.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We went to Rick's sister and BIL this afternoon so that BIL and I could do the cabbage for sauerkraut. The kraut will be ready sometime in February.

We had pulled pork from the smoker with fresh sourdough biscuits, crock pot baked beans, cole slaw and for dessert, pineapple upside down cake with homemade vanilla ice cream. Dinner doesn't get much better than that.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hungarian Paprika chicken.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This is why our freezer is so important. Rick was hungry for homemade chicken corn soup with rivels tonight. it took me about an hour. We had an early dinner because we're planning on an early night tonight as we're both not feeling well.

The chicken, the chicken stock, the corn and the peppers were all from the freezer. All I had to do was chop up an onion to saute in a little of the stock and add the peppers for a couple minutes. Then it was just a matter of tossing everything, but the frozen corn, into the mix. Let it cook for about 20 minutes to cook the potatoes, and add the corn. About five more minutes. Throw together some rivels and cook for another minute or so. (There was no stewing a whole chicken and deboning the bird. No making stock; it was already made. Life was good.)

It's a chilly and rainy night. Dinner was wonderful.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why our freezer is so important. Rick was hungry for homemade chicken corn soup with rivels tonight. it took me about an hour. We had an early dinner because we're planning on an early night tonight as we're both not feeling well.

The chicken, the chicken stock, the corn and the peppers were all from the freezer. All I had to do was chop up an onion to saute in a little of the stock and add the peppers for a couple minutes. Then it was just a matter of tossing everything, but the frozen corn, into the mix. Let it cook for about 20 minutes to cook the potatoes, and add the corn. About five more minutes. Throw together some rivels and cook for another minute or so. (There was no stewing a whole chicken and deboning the bird. No making stock; it was already made. Life was good.)

It's a chilly and rainy night. Dinner was wonderful.
What are rivels?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
What are rivels?
Rivels are teeny, tiny little dumplings. 3/4 cup flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Throw in a beaten egg and mix thoroughly. Drop real little balls into the simmering soup and cook for 1-2 minutes. I think it's an old Pennsylvania Dutch thing. You can't have chicken corn soup without them. Rick says so.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rivels are teeny, tiny little dumplings. 3/4 cup flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Throw in a beaten egg and mix thoroughly. Drop real little balls into the simmering soup and cook for 1-2 minutes. I think it's an old Pennsylvania Dutch thing. You can't have chicken corn soup without them. Rick says so.
Well rick should know. How do you make the chicken corn soup?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It's just boned chicken with onions, peppers, carrots, celery, potatoes, corn in a chicken stock. 

More chicken tonight....by accident, more than anything. I asked Rick to bring up pork chops from the freezer. In the pork chop container was a huge boneless, skinless breast. He thought it was pork and brought that up to thaw. It's fairly well thawed now, so it must be eaten.

I think we'll cut the breast in half, crust it, saute the thing and have crusted chicken sandwiches (with lettuce and tomatoes) with some roasted butternut squash as a side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.