What Would You Do?

glassgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two beautiful brothers that have been together all their lives. One of them is now suffering from FLUTD. He's only been blocked once so I'm praying it doesn't happen again before I can build up some kind of emergency fund, but I'm already on the hook for $1500 over the next year and I don't know that I'll be able to save more than $4000 for the surgery. My fiance has reached the end of her rope and says the further financial ramifications are up to me alone (they're my cats and I got them before we lived together). I make about $370 biweekly and most of that goes towards rent or transport. Pet insurance won't pay for pre-existing conditions. And I'm looking for a full time job, which means hours and hours away from a cat who currently needs round the clock care to keep him eating and drinking.

It's a matter of time.

So the way I see it, my choices are:

-Pray that he'll be okay until I get the money, or put my poor boy to sleep the next time this happens, which could be next week for all I know.
-Look for some kind of magical forever home for him who can afford to pay for his procedures and hope they fall in love with him enough to want to afford them and all his other expenses, separating the brothers I've tried for years to keep together.
-Even less likely, look for a home for both of them.

I love him more than life itself. I would do anything to keep him, but I'll do even more to keep him from suffering.

What would you do if the choice was re-homing or euthanasia?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hithere: Welcome to TCS! I would consult a holistic veterinarian about using herbs while exploring rehoming options. Definitely I would opt for euthanasia to alleviate suffering (death is unavoidable sooner or later) but I have seen some amazing miracles in the most dire situations.
Social media can often help. If you can, look up Atlas' and Phaedra's story on MyFriendlyFerals on FaceBook. The situation of those drastically ill newborns was so bleak that there was an outcry for them to be PTS. However, their situations turned into a cause and now Atlas & Phaedra are happy, thriving, confident little cats... absolutely amazing :loveeyes:

kdhester15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitty has FUS and we put him on a special diet as well as Fluoxetine (Prozac); his was from stress, even though he seems like the most laid back cat on the planet. He has been blocked twice and is on prescription wet food. Our vet recommended anti-anxiety medications and the Prozac did just the trick. It is inexpensive; we also keep him on wet food with water added to help keep his system flushed.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would look for a cheaper vet before I took any drastic measures. I have found 2 here in Missouri that are way way cheaper than others. If there is not one near u, travel and it could save u lots of money for spending a hundred on a trip. I have special needs animals, I have been to the vet probably over a hundred times this year so that' how I found the cheaper vets that don't hardly even charge visit fees and such. I would also rehome if I could. If u really look around, there is a Dr who does rescue on her own here who helps all kitties, maybe there is a person like that in your area if u really dig. Try go fund me, or even fundraisers on like Facebook like I saw a lady doing, it will get the money but it takes some work and networking. Good luck

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would look for a cheaper vet before I took any drastic measures. I have found 2 here in Missouri that are way way cheaper than others. If there is not one near u, travel and it could save u lots of money for spending a hundred on a trip. I have special needs animals, I have been to the vet probably over a hundred times this year so that' how I found the cheaper vets that don't hardly even charge visit fees and such. I would also rehome if I could. If u really look around, there is a Dr who does rescue on her own here who helps all kitties, maybe there is a person like that in your area if u really dig. Try go fund me, or even fundraisers on like Facebook like I saw a lady doing, it will get the money but it takes some work and networking. Good luck
Your right about finding a cheaper vet. The vet I had been going to for years sold their practice and the new owners built a huge new building and then started jacking up the prices. There was nothing wrong with the old building! The old owners had very low prices and were very competent. The news owners jacked up the prices and are incompetent. Go figure! I found another vet that is more like the old one I had. I got 2 raving reviews of them just while sitting in the waiting room. On top of that they're open 24/7 and a full service facility. Even when I took my cat in as an emergency to have an ultra sound they were cheaper than my "regular" vets x-ray that could not do an ultra sound! It's also a more convenient a drive to the new vet.

Just yesterday I was watching DR. Jeff and a girl went in with her cat and another vet had quote I think $2000 for a surgery and Dr. Jeff did it for $600! Beware of vets with big fancy new buildings and high overhead. There's just something wrong with that mentality.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sabian sabian I couldn' agree more. I actually was going to take bob (Manx syndrome from a terrible spine and tail defect) to Dr Jeff to see if he could help. The vets I found here are about the same price as him actually. I liked the old one as the place was nicer and they were sweet with the animals where we r rushed here as it is walk in only but they do not gouge me on services as the other place, and they don't charge me hardly anything for going. I will hurry for the price, and bob loves his new Dr as he always is purring and what we call fat ticking him lol. My mom got a quote of 2 to 3000 for a surgery I had her go there and it was 775 and they didn't charge when we took him back when he popped an inner stitch and he needed more meds too. I don't know what the location is where the kitty is located but perhaps we or someone here knows of a cost effective vet that's in the area.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are caring, reasonably priced vets out there, but you do have to look for them! Too bad Dr. Jeff doesn't have the time to have a page on his website with links to reasonably priced vets in other parts of the country! That said, if I do move to Colorado in a couple of years, he WILL be Hek's vet!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are caring, reasonably priced vets out there, but you do have to look for them! Too bad Dr. Jeff doesn't have the time to have a page on his website with links to reasonably priced vets in other parts of the country! That said, if I do move to Colorado in a couple of years, he WILL be Hek's vet!
Dr. Jeff rules!:yess: I've watched the other vet shows but I think he is by far the best. If I was near him in Colorado that's where I would go. I took Manny to have him shaved at my old vet with the new owners and they went from $40 to $70 for a grooming. At $40 with the old owners that included a flea bath. At $70 with new owners it does not! Seriously!? I can thank them for finding my new clinic though. They couldn't do an ultra sound so I had to go to where I'm going to start going from now on to have the ultra sound done. They were phenomenal! They even have a therapy pool! Who has a therapy pool!? :lol:

Why couldn't we have a page here on the site with links to good reasonably priced vets? We could do that couldn't we? It may be an evolving thing that grows over time but we could do it! I don't think a thread is the way to do it but there has to be a way! Any ideas? You being a forum helper and all. :lol:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why couldn't we have a page here on the site with links to good reasonably priced vets? We could do that couldn't we? It may be an evolving thing that grows over time but we could do it! I don't think a thread is the way to do it but there has to be a way! Any ideas? You being a forum helper and all.
Actually, there is a space in the Team lounge for suggestions like this, I'll get it posted in there.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nope, she thought it was an excellent idea, but also thought a thread would be the best way for the most people to see it!