What to use to bathe kitten?

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have kitten/puppy shampoo, but I heard it can be toxic to them
. I was just wondering what to use to bath them with, they are about 4-5 weeks old, and got poop stuck in their fur and I want to bathe it out.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please dont use baby shampoo the ph is way to high..

I use vets best , you may find it at petco

kimba67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should ask your vet what you can use. Most of the common kitten shampoos like Top Paw, Francodex or Pet Gold are really meant for kitties 6 weeks and older. If your vet says it's ok, Pet Gold seems to be the mildest from my experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will do, i will call and see about those shampoos in the morning.
thanks

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
dawn liquid detergent is your best bet, just a drop or two will do it. Also try clipping the back hairs of your cat so the poop doesn't have anything to hang on to.

uncle fester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I prefer subcontracting this task.
I use the grooming service at PetSmart, but only for Zoey Bari Misty and Serenity. Josephine is way too nervous to subject her to that experience, the others are quite accustomed to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used the Dawn, it worked well

He's so fluffy and smells a bit better, and no more poop! I clipped the hair from his backside as well. He is longhaired so I figured it would be a problem when I took him and his siblings in, but now that they are getting older they get less and less poop stuck in their fur

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Dawn but all the breeders and cattery's I know suggest following up with a kitten/cat shampoo and then rinse. Just Dawn alone will dry the skin and fur. Next time try rinsing the cat with water and a couple tablespoons of vinegar. It helps to restore the ph balance in the skin, rinses the soap out better and helps to prevent skin dryness and problems.