Sponsored What Routine Do You Use To Clean Up Litterbox Odors?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Equine Pine for litter -- it's for horses but just like Feline Pine, in pellets, which dissolve into sawdust when it gets wet. It costs less than half as much as Feline Pine and I get it at the feed store. $5.99 for 40 lbs.
I just bought some equine pine. Whats the best way to transfer my cats from a clay clumping litter to this? I put some into the pan and mixed it in with their litter and one of my cats peeked into the litter box and stared into it like there was an alien inside. I'm afraid she might not use it-maybe I put too much in to start with.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a flat piece of plastic with an absorbent layer on top. They are used to train puppies to pee on them. Very inexpensive here, I can buy 14 for $5.
Puppy pee pads were working great in my senior's box. He doesn't dig to the bottom of the box. My kitten on the other hand pulls up the liners with her claws and shreds the pad. Too bad, too. If a cat doesn't pull the liner up through the litter, then taping a puppy pad inside the box is a real time saver. No scrubbing. Ever. I bought 100 pads at Big Lots for $15.

A bowl of Mazuri will melt glass windows a few hours later.
A bowl of raw chicken and you might not know he was ever there.
Very true. Actually, I don't know about Mazuri. It is true though that raw-fed cats have poop that doesn't stink. The urine still smells, but plucking the clumps out as they are noticed throughout the day takes care of that just fine.

Unscented clumping litter that is cleaned frequently plus a good diet that the cat can fully digest leaves no cat smell in the house.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The litter I use is the cheapest non clumping stuff you can buy...Along with a handful of Sweet PDZ horse stall granules.
Thank you for mentioning this. I found a place on the mountain that still sells it. I never even thought about it to be honest. (and I used to have my shed stocked with it for the horses)
Now lets hope Onsa is not allergic to this also. But a handful mixed in with the clay should be ok.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cucumella is mostly fed with a variety of Purina's dry food (fish, meat, chicken flavour and a balanced mixture of dry food for "interior" adult cats including vitamins, selenium and zinc and occasional raw fish). I have never had any unpleasant odour from her litter box.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for mentioning this. I found a place on the mountain that still sells it. I never even thought about it to be honest. (and I used to have my shed stocked with it for the horses)
Now lets hope Onsa is not allergic to this also. But a handful mixed in with the clay should be ok.
When you clean out the litter box, just sprinkle a big handful of PDZ in the bottom of the box, and cover it with litter. (it will get mixed in as you scoop. Seems like on the bottom works best for non clumping litter.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Puppy pee pads were working great in my senior's box. He doesn't dig to the bottom of the box. My kitten on the other hand pulls up the liners with her claws and shreds the pad. Too bad, too. If a cat doesn't pull the liner up through the litter, then taping a puppy pad inside the box is a real time saver. No scrubbing. Ever. I bought 100 pads at Big Lots for $15.

Very true. Actually, I don't know about Mazuri. It is true though that raw-fed cats have poop that doesn't stink. The urine still smells, but plucking the clumps out as they are noticed throughout the day takes care of that just fine.

Unscented clumping litter that is cleaned frequently plus a good diet that the cat can fully digest leaves no cat smell in the house.
Yep. ^
Mine doesn't cover, so, I have to scoop that out daily. But, since he doesn't cover...it's really easy.
No smell from raw chicken.
Mazuri should include a chemical warfare respirator in every bag.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Like others, I believe than an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I use a litter breeze system (with blue buffalo walnut pellets to save some money vs the breeze type, but both work fine.) I change the pad a couple of times a week, and replace the pellets monthly. I scoop about once a day to remove solid waste, and store it in an airtight container ( I use a stainless steel trash can with an airtight seal on the top, but a litter genie would work similarly.)

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Equine Pine for litter -- it's for horses but just like Feline Pine, in pellets, which dissolve into sawdust when it gets wet. It costs less than half as much as Feline Pine and I get it at the feed store. $5.99 for 40 lbs. I dig out the litter boxes twice a day, and if someone leaves a fresh stinky when I'm home, I scoop it and flush it. The rest of the diggings go outside into the trash can, tied up in doubled bags that come home from shopping. The trash can is picked up once a week.

I have no carpets, some wooden floor, some tile, some linoleum. I sweep a lot and don't vacuum enough, but I do use a swiffer wet jet to mop frequently.

All my friends are pet owners, so I have no guests in the house who would behave like the ones you mentioned above.
I also use this as my litter for 6 cats. I have huge litter boxes out of clear storage containers with no lids. I also have a few jumbo standard boxes. I use baking soda by the litter mats and on the very bottom of the boxes. I have two vacuums for the house plus a broom and vacuum dedicated to litter. I have two jumbo air purifiers for the main levels, and two small ones for the hallways. Still, our house was made tight as a drum and i often run the air and open the screen doors to vent the house.
right now i'm pregnant and so my SO does the litter and as a result.... "we don't have guests over and we don't care" at the present time. it's a heck of a lot better when i'm in charge of the litter.

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the litter genie helps a lot to contain odor and makes cleaning the litter box much easier. And I don't have to use up all my grocery bags. I don't know why I never thought of it.
I use trash bags and rig them to the litter genie, youtube it! You use up trash bags but you don't shell out for litter genie refills.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Scoop when they use the box. Once a week empty and set out in sun with some warm water and a capful of bleach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OdorKlenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also use this as my litter for 6 cats. I have huge litter boxes out of clear storage containers with no lids. I also have a few jumbo standard boxes. I use baking soda by the litter mats and on the very bottom of the boxes. I have two vacuums for the house plus a broom and vacuum dedicated to litter. I have two jumbo air purifiers for the main levels, and two small ones for the hallways. Still, our house was made tight as a drum and i often run the air and open the screen doors to vent the house.
right now i'm pregnant and so my SO does the litter and as a result.... "we don't have guests over and we don't care" at the present time. it's a heck of a lot better when i'm in charge of the litter.
With most traditional air purifiers, they use either ionizing technology that only targets specific chemical compounds but cannot remove them all, Ozone technology which releases harmful excess oxygen particles into the air to try and bind with the offending odors, or carbon which can be "activated" with harmful chemicals to try and neutralize offensive odors and ultimately can fill to capacity and start releasing the odors back into the environment. The OdorKlenz Mobile Air Unit uses OdorKlenz' patented earth mineral technology to not only absorb the odors as they pass through the air, but to eliminate them at their chemical source, without the use of masking agents or harmful chemicals.

When used in conjunction with other OdorKlenz pet products, such as the litter additive and source eliminator, it can really make a difference in refreshing your home. All OdorKlenz.com products come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, so you have nothing to lose in testing it out in your home.