Sponsored What Routine Do You Use To Clean Up Litterbox Odors?

OdorKlenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We love our furry feline friends, and we aren't offended by their smell(s). But I think we can all recognize the face that guests make when they first walk through your door and immediately know that cats run the house.

You know the face.

The barely audible sniffle. The casual search for the litter box. The polite yet glaringly obvious head tuck into the shoulder.

It's not fun realizing that the pets that bring you so much joy, can make your human friends feel uncomfortable.

So, we want to know.

What are some tried and true methods that you use to keep your humble abode smelling fresh?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the percentage of titanium dioxide by weight and by volume in your Source Odor Cleaner?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The litter box is cleaned daily and fresh litter added. If one of the boys leaves something particularly stinky, its removed immediately and the bathroom window opened. They are long haired and sometimes their butts need to be cleaned and we do it quickly.

We have 3 types of vacum cleaners for different surfaces. The house is cleaned weekly. Much of our flooring is wood or tile, easy to clean and no absorbent.

The cats are brushed daily. I HATE the smell of cat urine.....and we dont have it in the house.

I do have allergies and I dont notice any smell when I walk in the house.

Now dogs on the other hand............. lol.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Equine Pine for litter -- it's for horses but just like Feline Pine, in pellets, which dissolve into sawdust when it gets wet. It costs less than half as much as Feline Pine and I get it at the feed store. $5.99 for 40 lbs. I dig out the litter boxes twice a day, and if someone leaves a fresh stinky when I'm home, I scoop it and flush it. The rest of the diggings go outside into the trash can, tied up in doubled bags that come home from shopping. The trash can is picked up once a week.

I have no carpets, some wooden floor, some tile, some linoleum. I sweep a lot and don't vacuum enough, but I do use a swiffer wet jet to mop frequently.

All my friends are pet owners, so I have no guests in the house who would behave like the ones you mentioned above.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OdorKlenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What's the percentage of titanium dioxide by weight and by volume in your Source Odor Cleaner?
By Weight Percentages:
  • 93% Water
  • 5% Magnesium hydroxide/Magnesium oxide (MgO is what is added to the formulation, but converts to Mg(OH)2)
  • <2% ZnO (Zinc Oxide)
  • <2% TiO2 (Titanium Dioxide)
By volume, it is difficult to calculate it exactly but it is an even lower percentage of Titanium dioxide. Using bulk density numbers, it would be 1.5% or less.

Hope this answers your questions :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By Weight Percentages:
  • 93% Water
  • 5% Magnesium hydroxide/Magnesium oxide (MgO is what is added to the formulation, but converts to Mg(OH)2)
  • <2% ZnO (Zinc Oxide)
  • <2% TiO2 (Titanium Dioxide)
By volume, it is difficult to calculate it exactly but it is an even lower percentage of Titanium dioxide. Using bulk density numbers, it would be 1.5% or less.

Hope this answers your questions :)

OdorKlenz OdorKlenz - It did, thanks. I did find the MSDS sheet after a bit of hunting, and doubtless the basis for the question was obvious, given the reactivity of titanium dioxide, and especially in the presence of weak acids. A bulk density that low poses no safety risks except to the occasional mad scientist with a flask of hydrofluoric acid and a penchant for blowing up litterboxes.

To the question at hand, I'd echo RedTopRescue's reply: all my friends are pet owners, and even with ten cats in the house, mine spells just fine. I'm more concerned about why my nose hurts all the time. I wonder if that might be attributed to the clothespins?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Onsa seems to be allergic to clumping litter, I've just stayed with clay. I'm continuing with the same process I had when they had Giardia. Dump it , scrub the box and add new daily. No cat odor that I know of.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What are some tried and true methods that you use to keep your humble abode smelling fresh?
We keep the window slightly open all year round. :wink:
And as others have chimed in we're religious about cleaning the litter box immediately after our kitty uses it unless, of course, we're not home. We also tidy up the tile floor.

I have to admit not all our guests are cat friendly but somehow our cat(s) have ESP and sense their disdain. That is when they make a special point of sitting up close and personal next to them. :lol:

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have an odour problem. I buy an 18 kilo bag of litter imported from Canada. It is called Super Mix. It is a clumping cat litter with long lasting odour control. I simply scoop the clumps and solid pieces everyday and replace with fresh litter. Once a week I empty the whole thing wash the litterbox and start all over again. There is never ever any unpleasant odour, a good thing because I live on a 6th floor and couldn't open the windows afraid Cucumella would fall down.

Cucumella is very friendly with everyone visiting even if she has never seen them before. She adores people's shoes and I cannot help being amused when the occasional non friendly cat visitor suffers in silence Cucumella's rubbing her head on their shoes until I intervene to free them from their misery. :evilgrin:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try lining the litter box with a puppy pad. It absorbs moisture that sinks to the bottom of the box, prevents clumps from sticking and eliminates the need to scrub the bottom of the box, which can hold odors.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what a puppy pad isI never seen anything like that in the stores. I doubt that exists in Uruguay. As I mentioned before I don't have an odour problem but the bottom of the box does need scraping.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what a puppy pad isI never seen anything like that in the stores. I doubt that exists in Uruguay. As I mentioned before I don't have an odour problem but the bottom of the box does need scraping.
It is a flat piece of plastic with an absorbent layer on top. They are used to train puppies to pee on them. Very inexpensive here, I can buy 14 for $5.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the face that guests make when they first walk through your door and immediately know that cats run the house.
You know the face.
The barely audible sniffle. The casual search for the litter box. The polite yet glaringly obvious head tuck into the shoulder.
If you have a smell problem of this magnitude, there's not a pre packaged miracle solution.
The litter I use is the cheapest non clumping stuff you can buy...Along with a handful of Sweet PDZ horse stall granules.
Depending on the food, my cat's stuff can water your eyes. And the solution is simple...just scoop the litter box daily and change the litter once a week. This gets rid of the aromatic cloud completely.
Anybody that won't do that? Isn't going to be magic dust shopping.
A more realistic/honest selling approach is what I would suggest. Seriously, what guest goes through your home looking for a litter box? Or stick their head in their shirt someplace other than a livestock barn?
If the inside of your home smells that bad? You don't have guests, and you don't care.

Jill McGinley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Equine Pine for litter -- it's for horses but just like Feline Pine, in pellets, which dissolve into sawdust when it gets wet. It costs less than half as much as Feline Pine and I get it at the feed store. $5.99 for 40 lbs. I dig out the litter boxes twice a day, and if someone leaves a fresh stinky when I'm home, I scoop it and flush it. The rest of the diggings go outside into the trash can, tied up in doubled bags that come home from shopping. The trash can is picked up once a week.

I have no carpets, some wooden floor, some tile, some linoleum. I sweep a lot and don't vacuum enough, but I do use a swiffer wet jet to mop frequently.

All my friends are pet owners, so I have no guests in the house who would behave like the ones you mentioned above.
I love using Equine Pine! It's so affordable and easy to tell when its used!

Jill McGinley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have a smell problem of this magnitude, there's not a pre packaged miracle solution.
The litter I use is the cheapest non clumping stuff you can buy...Along with a handful of Sweet PDZ horse stall granules.
Depending on the food, my cat's stuff can water your eyes. And the solution is simple...just scoop the litter box daily and change the litter once a week. This gets rid of the aromatic cloud completely.
Anybody that won't do that? Isn't going to be magic dust shopping.
A more realistic/honest selling approach is what I would suggest. Seriously, what guest goes through your home looking for a litter box? Or stick their head in their shirt someplace other than a livestock barn?
If the inside of your home smells that bad? You don't have guests, and you don't care.
It doesn't really seem like they are trying to sell anything, just starting a topic :). I clean my multi-cat box religiously. But when I have my nieces and nephews down to visit, I have definitely gotten some of those mentioned reactions. I think we just get nose blind to it. :updown: