What Lessons Has Your Cat Taught You?

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about this myself the other day and thought it might be an interesting conversation to have here. Are there any lessons (life lessons mainly I suppose) that having a cat has taught you?

The main lessons for me I think would be, well, one would be not to hold too much attachment to “things”. A favourite mug is just a mug, and if Scamps happens to knock it over he didn’t do it on purpose (although this could probably be argued!:cringe:) and I just have to let it go. That nice item of clothing that he clawed that now has threads pulled in it? Well, he was just playing and again, I just have to let it go. They’re just things.

And then, secondly, I kind of admire how if a cat really doesn’t want to do something, they’re just not going to do it. They are who they are and just don’t really put up with much c**p! :tongue: I think I can be a bit of a people pleaser sometimes, and sometimes it’s just good to learn how to say “No”. :nono:

How about you guys? Any feline life lessons you’d like to share? :greenpaw:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To try harder to live in the moment, and to better deal with 'stuff'. If you think about it, the feline species handles an incredible amount of things whether they're inside-only, strays, ferals or roaming housecats, and then moves on.
I'm not saying I'm necessarily a good learner or very good at applying the lessons, but if I pay attention they are very good teachers.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
White Tip has taught me compassion; she's the welcoming committee for every new cat who comes in. Oz has taught me the value of solitude; Peanut and Lance have shared the secrets of aging gracefully; Scottiecat has shown me the value of utter independence; Bob has demonstrated the value of strength without insolence; Puff has cultivated in me the value of silence; Black Friday has taught me the value of unbridled affection; Clawed-Ya has shared the great worth of curiosity and caution together, and Moo Shu has taught me never - never to take in a Snowshoe Cat!

rasp.gif

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I use the word "reminds" in my answer, I guess I do mean "re-teaches me daily" -

Speedy reminds me that God loves me

Speedy reminds me of my strengths

Speedy reminds me in sad times that I have been given a spirit of survival. I see this in her when she grooms herself. She doesn't think about it, question it, but she has been lovingly given the gift of taking care of herself for as long as she is able, without even thinking about it.

Speedy reminds me that Life has a gentle, predictable, natural rhythm if I look for it

That being said, I feel Speedy and I are a lot alike. We respect each other, we are both women going through the years together, she is ever-forgiving and non-judgemental. I thank God for Speedy every day.

Thanks for the great question scraggles scraggles :)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not me so much, but watching my cat and my bf's and teaching young children it's occurred to me that cats are a good way of teaching the concept of consent.

Most cats won't let anyone just pet them without warning and even if you're familiar to them they just might not be in the mood. You always sort of "ask" first by sticking your hand out and reading their body language to see if they're receptive. And that's really a good lesson for anyone to learn.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie has taught me that appearances can be deceiving. I nearly gave him up because of his behavior, and I assumed he didn't love me, until he finally demonstrated that he in fact does. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Selene has taught me that the simple things can be the best things. She's happy playing in the sink and napping with me.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have learned quite a bit from Makena......

Yawn like you mean it

Naps are wonderful

Napping with someone you love is even better

Wood stoves are the best way to heat

Take some time to talk to a friend

Give it your all. Even when its just for fun. Especially when its just for fun

Life is not a spectator sport. Take chances

Never be afraid to show your love