What is your experience with toxoplasmosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stxrcane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick history. This is Arden, a former bottle baby that I picked up from an hour away at just 2 weeks old when his siblings suddenly and mysteriously died. I've raised him since then and he hit all of his milestones just fine as a baby, but as he got older he's always acted like an orphan and not a normal kitten. He's also about half the size of what he should be at almost 8 months old. He also still has all of his baby teeth!

1653439041540.png

The other week he suddenly became weak and laid around. We gave him subq and fortunately were able to bring him to a vet thanks to a rescue group we work with. A week prior, we brought him out to a corner store and along the way he met a dog who he was very much not fond with. He lurched back in my arms and when I put him on the floor of the corner store, he had a head tilt and other weird neuro issues. Anyways, we thought it was coccidia since we had some kittens with it before that ended up having seizures, but after only improving a bit from the meds prescribed we brought him back for bloodwork. The vet said that there was clearly an infection going on and proposed that it's toxo. He's been on meds for another week and a half and he's improved immensly!

Assuming that it IS actually toxo, I wanted to see what experiences you folks have with it. Arden is still incredibly weak but able to stand and walk, as well as somewhat do stairs. He still often falls over and loses his balance. Are there any long term effects we can expect?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet should have run the test to understand it it's actually toxo.
A simple test that will count IgM and IgG toxo antibodies.

If it's toxo, then your cat will have to be put on an antibiotic for a long time, 25 days twice a day, if I'm not going wrong.

If the test rules toxo out, then you have to find out what else is bothering Arden.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Toxoplasmosis wouldn’t be my first guess. Your kitten sounds neurological and needs to see a different vet unless this vet has done testing you haven’t mentioned.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick history. This is Arden, a former bottle baby that I picked up from an hour away at just 2 weeks old when his siblings suddenly and mysteriously died. I've raised him since then and he hit all of his milestones just fine as a baby, but as he got older he's always acted like an orphan and not a normal kitten. He's also about half the size of what he should be at almost 8 months old. He also still has all of his baby teeth!

View attachment 421419

The other week he suddenly became weak and laid around. We gave him subq and fortunately were able to bring him to a vet thanks to a rescue group we work with. A week prior, we brought him out to a corner store and along the way he met a dog who he was very much not fond with. He lurched back in my arms and when I put him on the floor of the corner store, he had a head tilt and other weird neuro issues. Anyways, we thought it was coccidia since we had some kittens with it before that ended up having seizures, but after only improving a bit from the meds prescribed we brought him back for bloodwork. The vet said that there was clearly an infection going on and proposed that it's toxo. He's been on meds for another week and a half and he's improved immensly!

Assuming that it IS actually toxo, I wanted to see what experiences you folks have with it. Arden is still incredibly weak but able to stand and walk, as well as somewhat do stairs. He still often falls over and loses his balance. Are there any long term effects we can expect?
He still has his baby teeth at 8 months? None have fallen out?! **Did the vet examine his teeth and mouth?**
This can possibly cause some issues -- even infection. And pain, if things are not "going well" with his teething process.
Persistent Deciduous Teeth (Baby Teeth) in Cats

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did your dvm do a blood test / bw for toxoplasmosis? That needs to be done to confirm it. It could be that because it can cause neuro symptoms. Here is a link. I hope Arden gets better asap. The treatment seems to be clindamycin for several weeks.

Otherwise someone needs to figure out what is causing his symptoms.

Toxoplasmosis in Cats

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to freak you or anyone out, but you did ask what’s your personal experience: my dad, never a very good cleaner of things, once magnanimously took it upon himself to clean the litter tray (usually my mom’s job). Well he must not have done a very good job of washing his hands afterwards, because he suddenly shouted: “I’m blind!” (I’m not sure how soon after, I was pretty young). We rushed him to the hospital. And he was diagnosed w/ toxoplasmosis and given something that immediately cleared up his eyesight. (He probably wasn’t ACTually blind, but did have very blurred vision). Again, he was eventually FINE and the whole incident didn’t last too long. All by way of saying though: always wash your hands! :)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to freak you or anyone out, but you did ask what’s your personal experience: my dad, never a very good cleaner of things, once magnanimously took it upon himself to clean the litter tray (usually my mom’s job). Well he must not have done a very good job of washing his hands afterwards, because he suddenly shouted: “I’m blind!” (I’m not sure how soon after, I was pretty young). We rushed him to the hospital. And he was diagnosed w/ toxoplasmosis and given something that immediately cleared up his eyesight. (He probably wasn’t ACTually blind, but did have very blurred vision). Again, he was eventually FINE and the whole incident didn’t last too long. All by way of saying though: always wash your hands! :)
Wow that is scary, I was reading that it can cause temporary blindness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stxrcane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Toxoplasmosis wouldn’t be my first guess. Your kitten sounds neurological and needs to see a different vet unless this vet has done testing you haven’t mentioned.
Update on this, he was developing neurological FIP and passed away before we had even heard of it. Not even a single mention from the vet even though his symptoms were SO textbook perfect.

In his memory, three rescues are currently undergoing treatment while two others have completely treatment successfully! All different forms FIP.

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on this, he was developing neurological FIP and passed away before we had even heard of it. Not even a single mention from the vet even though his symptoms were SO textbook perfect.

In his memory, three rescues are currently undergoing treatment while two others have completely treatment successfully! All different forms FIP.
So sorry for your loss.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. You gave Arden a wonderful life from the time that you rescued him. It is lovely of you to try to continue to work with those rescues in his honor.

When a cat passes on, we lock the thread out of respect. You are welcome to post a memorial to him in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.