What Is The Best Cat Litter?

Emily ♡

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In a couple weeks I will be getting a persian cat so I was wondering which cat litter would be best? (brand, material, etc.) :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Emily, welcome to TCS!

Congrats on getting a new kitty.

You can check with the person you are getting your kitty from on what the cat is currently using and continue to use the same litter. This way, the cat is already used to it and won’t have much problem using the litter box.

Here an articles for you to read:-
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

Get the biggest litter box you can as kittens grow up very fast and they outgrow the box. Also fill up the box with at least 3ins of litter so that it’s easier to clean the box as low litter will most likely to have pee stuck on the bottom.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've switched to wood pellets and it's brilliant. It's far cheaper than other types; it's fantastic at covering odours and it just falls out when emptying without anything sticking to the tray.
When I first used it, I sniffed the tray after emptying it and it just smelled of pine. Other, more expensive types have always reeked of urine when emptied. Great stuff.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the pending adoption of your Persian. Do come back and post pictures when you bring him/her home.

About litter, how old is the cat? If it's a young kitten, you might want to start with non-clumping litter, as young kittens sometimes try to eat litter. But if it's older, any litter should be fine.

Maybe ask the breeder what type of litter they are using. It might be best to start with that, then transition to another type if desired.

I think this article is included in the link tabbytom tabbytom posted, but here's the direct link to How To Choose The Right Cat Litter plus When And How To Switch To A New Type Of Litter.