What does everyone think about Delectables?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat, Isabel, has no teeth. I feel terrible because I hate leaving her out when the other cats get treats.

We were excited to find Delectables tonight at the store, but when I got home and researched them, it says they are a Hartz product.

We're pretty anti-Hartz because of the deaths in relation to their other products, so as a general rule of thumb, we've kind of stayed away from all things Hartz, but this did not have Hartz on the label for us to know it was a Hartz product.

Thoughts on these treats? Do you think it's safe to give her?
Anyone have experiences with it?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are other brands of lickable treats, TikiCat has some, Petco’s WholeHearted, Applaws. My cats go nuts for VitaKraft (German brand available from Amazon, not on chewy) and I use it to give them medicines if I need to, they’d eat almost anything with it

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am also very anti-hartz! I don't even like buying hartz toys. I just don't trust them at all. I was also interested in these delectables, but I personally couldn't justify it.

As mentioned above there are other brands that make them. I haven't bought any yet, but they would be my first choice.
I did pick up some Fancy Feast Broths and Winnie really likes the broth part. She doesn't care to eat the meat pieces so my dog gets those when she's done :p
Some of the flavors have carrageenan so I avoid those. I think it's the Creamy line that is carrageenan free. The 'Classic' line has carrageenan. I was disappointed since that limits the flavor options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I am also very anti-hartz! I don't even like buying hartz toys. I just don't trust them at all. I was also interested in these delectables, but I personally couldn't justify it.

As mentioned above there are other brands that make them. I haven't bought any yet, but they would be my first choice.
I did pick up some Fancy Feast Broths and Winnie really likes the broth part. She doesn't care to eat the meat pieces so my dog gets those when she's done :p
Some of the flavors have carrageenan so I avoid those. I think it's the Creamy line that is carrageenan free. The 'Classic' line has carrageenan. I was disappointed since that limits the flavor options.
I'm the same way. If I can help it, I won't give that company any of my money. If I had known delectables was a Hartz brand, I never would have bought it. But it kind of snuck up on me. I'm just glad I saw the receipt before giving my girl any. She's 16 and honestly while I typically will let her have whatever she can safely eat, I just don't think I trust this.

I haven't seen the fancy feast broth. I wonder if that can be bought on Amazon? Isabel LOVES Fancy feast when I get it for her as quick substitute if I can't get her typical 4health cans.

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm the same way. If I can help it, I won't give that company any of my money. If I had known delectables was a Hartz brand, I never would have bought it. But it kind of snuck up on me. I'm just glad I saw the receipt before giving my girl any. She's 16 and honestly while I typically will let her have whatever she can safely eat, I just don't think I trust this.

I haven't seen the fancy feast broth. I wonder if that can be bought on Amazon? Isabel LOVES Fancy feast when I get it for her as quick substitute if I can't get her typical 4health cans.
Sure, they're on amazon! They are also at supermarkets I think. Like walmart.

This is the variety without Carrageenan

Just a warning though there isn't a whole lot in these and they are kinda expensive for what they are! It's probably only a tablespoon of broth. If your girl doesn't want to eat the meat in it like Winnie won't, it might not be the most cost effective treat.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is obsessed with Churu squeeze ups which are similar. We bought a big jar of 40 or 50 a while ago since he gets one every time I clip his nails

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My toothless cat loves these two treats:

Freeze-dried lamb tripe (it says for dog, but there's no reason why you can't give it to a cat since the only ingredient is lamb tripe):
K9 Natural Lamb Green Tripe Booster Freeze-Dried Dog Food Topper, 7-oz bag - Chewy.com

It has a very soft texture that she can "chew" (gum) into manageable bits before she swallows. I'm sure it rehydrates in her mouth making it even more delectable.

Bonito flakes
Cat-Man-Doo Extra Large Dried Bonito Flakes Cat Treats, 4-oz bag - Chewy.com

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Inuba and Catit sticks are very good, tiki cat does have a type to. Inuba does have some wet treats thats are super soft and something even a toothless cat would easily be able to eat.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I just ordered Tikicat ones.

Think I'm gonna just chunk the delectables since I can't return them right now with the pandemic

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it’s worth, those smooth mousse treats all have xanthan gum in them. I’m not saying every cat is as sensitive as mine. But if yours starts developing soft stools, you may try eliminating the mousse treats first. Xanthan gum runs right through Krista. Mousse in. Mousse out. 🤦‍♂️😿

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! Our tiki cat stix got here FAST, for the record. All our cats love it, except Sammy. He turned his nose up at it and wouldn't even try it, lol. He's kind of a picky eater though when it comes to some things, so I'm not super surprised. The kittens and my old girl REALLY like it though.

For what it’s worth, those smooth mousse treats all have xanthan gum in them. I’m not saying every cat is as sensitive as mine. But if yours starts developing soft stools, you may try eliminating the mousse treats first. Xanthan gum runs right through Krista. Mousse in. Mousse out. 🤦‍♂️😿
Honestly the xanthan gum isn't what concerned me. I've long since avoided Hartz products just due to the number of deaths related to using their flea treatment products. We also had a dog who got VERY sick after using their shampoo once, so while I can't prove the connection, I'd still rather just avoid their products completely.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Our tiki cat stix got here FAST, for the record. All our cats love it, except Sammy. He turned his nose up at it and wouldn't even try it, lol. He's kind of a picky eater though when it comes to some things, so I'm not super surprised. The kittens and my old girl REALLY like it though.

Honestly the xanthan gum isn't what concerned me. I've long since avoided Hartz products just due to the number of deaths related to using their flea treatment products. We also had a dog who got VERY sick after using their shampoo once, so while I can't prove the connection, I'd still rather just avoid their products completely.
I can understand your reservations around Hartz.

That aside...

If your cats don’t have an issue with xanthan gum, then disregard my post. But if they do get soft stools or diarrhea, you can start your investigation by shelving the smooth foods.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I can understand your reservations around Hartz.

That aside...

If your cats don’t have an issue with xanthan gum, then disregard my post. But if they do get soft stools or diarrhea, you can start your investigation by shelving the smooth foods.
Thanks for the heads up! I appreciate it.

For the most part, only the older cat will be getting it though as she doesn't have any teeth =)

RKerns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Isabel, has no teeth. I feel terrible because I hate leaving her out when the other cats get treats.

We were excited to find Delectables tonight at the store, but when I got home and researched them, it says they are a Hartz product.

We're pretty anti-Hartz because of the deaths in relation to their other products, so as a general rule of thumb, we've kind of stayed away from all things Hartz, but this did not have Hartz on the label for us to know it was a Hartz product.

Thoughts on these treats? Do you think it's safe to give her?
Anyone have experiences with it?
My daughter gave these to my cat for Christmas. He is sick now from these. I won’t feed them to him again. They are made in Thailand so God only knows what’s in them. Avoid at all costs!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the churu ones someone else linked above the chicken and scallops one. It helped Kabuto when he caught cat flu a while ago and had a fever.

Heartz products are sketchy at best. Especialy the flea and shampoo products. I've seen a Yorkie with terable chemical burns from the heartz flea products, really painful looking tomato red scab on the back of its neck where the product was applied. I just don't trust the brand anymore even though I used to feed the pellets to my rabbits without issue.

Edit hagen not hertz pellets mb.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t trust Hartz anymore not since my last dog developed a serious skin condition after getting a bath with their shampoo. I had a Jack Russell named Leon every time he got baths he would break out bad and his skin would turn red. He would scratch constantly I figured something was wrong with the water. But when I gave my other Jack Russell a bath she was fine. I had used baby shampoo for her. I figured it had to be the Hartz shampoo and my vet confirmed it. So since then I avoid anything Hartz.

With that my two boys love the Churu lickables they also love Kitty Temptations. I believe Fancy Feast has a lickable treats too. There is a brand called Pure Balance they have lickable treats and it’s grain free.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was gifted some, so we did use them. I don't buy Hartz brand either. We used it because someone on here told me the current Hartz brand name as nothing to do with former Hartz?

Anyhoo I did use them without issue. My neighbour got a variety pack but her cat is allergic to chicken and she gave us the ones with chicken in it.

We usually buy either Churu, Catit or Temptations.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
My daughter gave these to my cat for Christmas. He is sick now from these. I won’t feed them to him again. They are made in Thailand so God only knows what’s in them. Avoid at all costs!
My post is pretty old. The cat I was asking about, sadly, passed away due to old age. We opted to not give her the treats though and since the time of my post, have been getting all our kitties tikicat and churu.

Hope your furbaby is okay!!

Silver K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hartz is a brand I haven't seen in a long time here. I forgot it even existed.