what do I need to give an enema?

babypersian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
took my 7 year old persian to the vet for constipation last week after no fecal release for a few days.. vet gave him an x-ray and identified lots of constipation and 3 fecal balls in his tract.. and so they gave him an enema and lots came out pretty quickly..

fast forward a week later and he's constipated again..

I think what happened is when they gave him the enema, they assumed the other fecal balls would follow behind the first release but I'm not so sure they did.. and feeding him more without verifying a complete evacuation after the enema might have worked against the cause..

because this happens occasionally I am thinking of administering enemas myself.. it took me a long time to be able to learn how to properly and safely clean his eyes, apply eye lubrication and eye medication to his eyes when needed, and to administer oral medications when needed.. but now I can do all of that which helps a lot..

overall he's pretty tame and pretty cooperative for me so I don't see it much of a challenge with the enema as he knows what they are after having quite a few in the past.. and he's been pretty cooperative with the vet techs too..

so can you guys refer me to everything I need?

it appears to be mostly just a applicator with a solution of some kind and lubrication.. and of course I believe the length of the applicator is generally sized to be used safely when inserted but I can always be cautious and not fully insert the applicator but just far enough to make a good solid injection of the solution.. other than that it appears it's just clean up items in some of these kits..

any recommendations would be appreciated.. also looking for fast delivery if it has to be ordered.. or a local store if you know of any that carry them..

also I wonder if petcos cat plan covers enemas.. don't have a subscription and never brought him there for care but I have seen the care program advertised.. of course I'm sure the appointment scheduling is weeks out so it probably wouldn't help me in the next 48 hours..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rather than an enema which I personally wouldn't recommend doing at home, I would talk to the vet, see if your cat needs further treatment by them and if so do so, and then talk to them about beginning to give miralax. It's being prescribed by vets now rather than lactulose because it doesn't draw moisture from the body.

Also, start feeding wet food and also take a look at this, there are good ideas here;
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite Articles

Trying to take care of the issue with home enemas doesn't address the underlying issue, which is that your cat needs more hydration.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Much better off trying Miralax. 1/8 tsp mixed with a little bit of water and added to your cat's food. Wait a day, and if you don't get results, give 1/8 tsp twice a day. If you are not feeding him wet food, you can use an oral syringe to get him to ingest the Miralax.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, do not do the enema at home. I’ve had cats for decades and I’d still never attempt it, there’s so many things that can go wrong, physically as well as bacteria infections. We share the same digestive system but our anatomies are completely different proportionally. I’m guessing you’ve never tried a rectal thermometer either?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with the previous posts advising against doing an enema on your own. However, if you do proceed, make sure that the enema is safe for a cat...not just the implement but the solution as well. Human enema products like Fleet can kill a cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babypersian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the guidance.. just bought miralax and gave the first powder coating to his wet food a few minutes ago.. will hold off on the enema completely and see how this turns out..

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Miralax should be dissolved in some liquid. A small amount of water will do but if you feel a wet food that has a gravy, or any of the Hartz Delectable stews, those will work as well. Don't give it dry as it won't do what it is supposed to.