What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Amolbook, where do you live?  He looks rather thin for a kitten, Im not sure if he is thin or it is local looks, or even - his ancestry.

As it is, sleek, big ears, and rather protruding muzzle, I would guess he may have quite a recent Oriental ancestry.

Next question, if he has perhaps even a masque hidden behind these big black markings. What color is his eyes? If blue, he has (althoug difficult with young kittens, if they hadnt changed color yet). If any else eye color, he hasnt.

But siameses are near kin to orientals, so this doesnt really matter much...

So, my preliminar hypothesis is, he may have much of oriental blood in him.  (unless he is a local boy from somewhere where the typic local cats dont looks like the most common european/american moggies types)

Next, I think he is a little too thin. Kittens "should" be rather round.

What does he get for food? Does the food contain enough with fat?  The food base should be a high content of animal protein and fat, as much as he wants to eat.

Come to Pregs and Kittens forum, if you want tips on good food for kittens.    :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

This is my kitten Puzzle she's only one month old and I don't know which breed is this. [can he be an Aegean cat?]  Can you help me ?
MyrnaHammoud.   The answer depends on where you live.  The Aegean is a natural breed living in the grecian islands, and also in the greek mainland. Recently had efforts beein made to recognize them as a breed, and some breeders do purebreed them so they have their ancestry, pedigree, and so on.

So if you live in the "Greekish"  area, yes, this kitten could be one of this natural breed.  Not of them raised with this fresh pedigree certificate and everything, but one of theirs natural native cousins, so to speak.    :)

If you live anywhere else - I would say it is a very pretty domestic "moggie", like they usually are. "The salt of the earth"  as they say in some circumstances.

About the pattern as such - here are folks who can patterns better than me.

Good luck!

myrnahammoud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Lebanon , well very close to Greece ...both on the mediterraean sea..but after my research on moggies I think Its a Moggie .thank you so much !

mistybondy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alrighty new here:) stumbled upon this thread on google and decided I had to post. I know he's prob basically a mutt but had to share my baby (yes he's a baby) because everyone always tells me how rare he looks. Would be neat into some insight on his breed but if not at least I can share:) he's not even a year old yet but weighing in prob close to 14 pounds and twice the size my full grown kitty. Never meows just pants and makes weird noises. Very lovable in a "I wanna lick your face off" kind of way as well lol.

Last photo is him a bit after we got him. He was the smallest kitten I'd ever seen when found, and then he just shot up. Love him and his cute markings:)

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea if you are on a thread it does just click the box that looks like a pic(its next to the box that looks likee a link) and it will give you the option to download from device or give a url and click download from device

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Savvi, it is not easy to see on such a young kitten. 5 weeks??

It is only one photo, but I guess the pattern is the "van-pattern", after the Turkish Van. but the pattern as such isnt that unusual, and many domestics do have it too.  So the breed is surely domestic, like 95-97 of cats are.

Lovely cat you got, but mind you, he is very young, you must take extra good care to him, be very mommy.  You may also want to look at our Pregnant and Kitten forum.

Do you have some friendly adult cat or even dog to held him company? It makes often easier for them.

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mistybondy. The standard answer would be "he is a domestic". Also domestics can have such a striking tabby pattern, you dont need to be any fancy breed for it.

That said, the pattern IS quite a clear cut. So clear cut  Im thinking on him as a bengal-alike.

There is a variation on them which has this pattern.

Seeing a real bengal you usually immediately see theirs pattern is so visible and clear cut, they are bengals, not somewhat look alike.  Yours has such a striking pattern.    :)

The face/muzzle isnt the most typical bengal.

How did you get him?   Do you know anything about his hereabouts? his ma and pa?

manizheh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he as golden as his photo shows? If so I would say he has a lot of Bengal in him. love his size

jacobh266

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anyone has any idea PLEASE! let me know. 
Her sister is a Tuxedo cat and her mother has persian and tabby in her. Not sure about the farther. but the litter seemed to be a whole bunch of different breeds. she looks like a baby snow leopard at the moment 

View media item 157183

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Jacob, you like many others say breed when you mean pattern...  They are per definition not a breed any of them,  95-97% of all cats are such "domestics".

this very beautiful kitten is a tabby pattern, with some white(?), stripes are called mackerel  (like in the fishes), so, "mackerel tabby with white"   I think it would be described.

Good luck!

stansservant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View media item 157157
this is my cat stan. I found him and his sister (fletcher) in our barn when they were kittens and he has very unusual markings and temperament. The one with the grey markings is when he was about 6 months old and now he's about a 18 months old his makring have gone redder I was wondering if you had any idea what breed he is? thanks, Hannah. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stan appears to have Tortoiseshell markings, but as far as breed, is a domestic longhair unless one has papers to prove otherwise.  He looks a little bit like one of my cats.

However, most Tortoiseshells are female, so he's unusual in that respect.

I love his eyes.  They seem rather greenish on my monitor.  Handsome kitty! 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If you're referring to the last cat posted, the Korat, first of all, is quite rare.

Second, is a slate-blue, grayish color and short-haired.

Third, they have striking green eyes.

That cat, while beautiful, is most surely NOT a Korat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.