What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No Munchkin, thankfully, as so far as I can see her legs are proportionate to her body.  Munchkins have very short legs for their body because they have a mutated gene.

Hope she is neutered.

moonlightleah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a small cat but in the pics he looks bigger than he is..people often mistake him for a girl..he fur is very soft&smooth&hes a mixture of blonde,black,brown&white...his mum was a tabby I think&hes dad was a ginger cat, one of his sisters were ginger&all his other siblings were similar to him but not the same

Last edited:

seixa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, there!

This guy is Nino. :D He's already a big boy. (turned 10 years old this past March.)

I got him from a friend when he was only weeks old and I always wondered what breed he was since I never saw his parents. Well, I know he's not "pure" and that he is a domesticated short-hair. But I see in him some signs of a Tonkinese lineage. What do you think? Oh, by the way, he has the softest fur I've ever felt. :D  and I only brush him once a week. He's extremely docile (not at first but I guess all pets are like that) and smart. He actually comes when you call him. :D

Well, just wanted you guys to know him! 

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is a beautiful cat. There is a cat that is running around here somewhere that looks like him except I think the one out here has markings of a siames from pics of siames that I seen but yes he is a beautiful boy just wanted to say that.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nino  is a very very very handsome cat.   If your friend had pedigreed cats ,  she would have known and  surely would have mentioned something about it.   There are lots of cats of this pattern that have hardly any of any pedigreed breed in them,  so it makes it hard to tell,  though he certainly does have some things about him that look like the old type of Siamese (now AKA Thai) ,  I would not venture to guess from seeing a couple photos about whether he had recent Siamese ancestry. 

It's true he would have got the pointed pattern passed down originally from Siamese on both sides,  but in the past 100+ years it has been spread into other breeds and many random-bred "domestics" so it is very hard to tell how far back the Siamese would be.    but from his looks it is certainly possible he may have had a Siamese grand parent , for example.

Much less likely Tonkinese if you don't have specific knowledge of his ancestry that gives you that info , since they are less common.   and how much he resembles a Tonk depends on where you are located . He does not look like most Tonks in North America who look closer to the American type Burmese.

He looks quite a bit like my beloved old "Sia-moggy" Louis Quatorze .   He was from a rescue but had originally come from an irresponsible breeder who from what I heard, apparently had some pedigree Siamese and was mixing them with pointed cats of uncertain ancestry from the U.S. .  Louis had a very very long body and legs  and a long flat forehead like a real Siamese of the old type.  but had heavier boning and coat and a somewhat shorter muzzle. probably those things he got from Western moggy ancestry.    I can't tell the body type of Nino from the photos but looks to me like he has a head very much like Louis.   Makes me want to hug him.   ( Louis died last year at about age 15 or 16 and I still miss him very much.)   I hope you have many more years with your beautiful Nino.

Last edited:

manizheh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That face is so much like an oriental I'm surprised nobody mentioned it. go have a look at oriental cat photos and it will be obvious what I mean. If you cant see passed the tabby markings get a photo and color in a solid color. I would even say her dad is probably an oriental. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moonlightleah,   wow,  that is one handsome cat.   Brown Classic Tabby   is his color/ pattern.    an his markings are very cool.     He is most likely a "pure domestic shorthair" -- descended entirely from random-breeding cats from the same part of the world.      He is very cute and looks like a nice boy. 
[GALLERY="media, 154979"][/GALLERY]/61/id/154978/width/200/height/400[GALLERY="media, 154980"][/GALLERY][GALLERY="media, 154981"][/GALLERY]
He's a small cat but in the pics he looks bigger than he is..people often mistake him for a girl..he fur is very soft&smooth&hes a mixture of blonde,black,brown&white...his mum was a tabby I think&hes dad was a ginger cat, one of his sisters were ginger&all his other siblings were similar to him but not the same[/quote]

tobias07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I rescued this handsome cat, Jack, about four years ago when he was a few months old living on the streets. I'm torn in between thinking he is a Maine Coon or a Ragdoll. He's got green eyes instead of blue so I'm leaning toward the Maine Coon. He's long haired, silky, and pretty big.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I myself think on him as a little look alike a Norwegian Forest Cat, although there is a strain of Maine Coons with rather prolonged muzzles, Not all Norwegians are so clear cut triangular in face.

He is not pointed, so no point(!) to think about him as a somewhat look alike a Ragdoll, who ARE supposed to be pointed.

Now, very few cats are purebreed. 95% or more are of no particular breed, so his "breed" is domestic long hair.

As said, if you want to try and compare him with somewhat similiar to some breed, it will be the Norwegian or their brothers Maine.

jillian111395

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my baby girl Bella.  We rescued her as a kitten when our neighbors left her on the streets when they were evicted from their home.  She is pretty small compared to most cats and has a tiny head (or so I think). She is about 3 now and very loving and will cuddle with you any chance she gets (: 

redweaver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is my silly girl, Gloria. When I first got her, I was told by the breeder that she was a pure breed something, but for the life of me I can't remember what. Now I've moved states away, and I don't have a way in getting in touch with the breeder! :( any help?

You can't see it too well in these pictures, but she's very cross-eyed. That makes me want to think that she's a Siamese, but that's about the only Siamese physical characteristic she has. Also, her bright blue eyes and constantly serene look on her face makes me want to think she's a Ragdoll, but she doesn't "go limp" when I pick her up. Anybody have any ideas?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Jillian,  that is a pretty cat.  I remember seeing that one picture in the sun before ,  that makes her color look amazing!   

The color looks so different in the different pictures that i am having a hard time to decide whether to call her Red or Cream.   Cream is the dilute version of Red.  it's when the cat gets a dilute gene from each parent.    In the 2nd, 4th and 6th photos she looks Red,  in some of the others,  like the last photo , she looks more like she could be Cream.   Either way it is pretty. 

Since you have the real kitty there,  I would just say you decide which of those pictures shows the color that is more how it really looks.  

The interesting thing is she has hardly any tabby pattern visible.  In cats with red-based pigment, usually one can see a tabby pattern whether or not they also have the "Agouti" gene that makes a tabby pattern show up distinctly --- but it has a much bigger effect on cats with black-based color,    In Red or Cream cats usually one sees the tabby markings anyway. 

On Bella it hardly shows,  i see a very faint bit of tabby "M" on her head.     but that could be there in non-agouti as well as agouti.    She does have a whitish color between nose and mouth, that usually goes with agouti more and so does the outline around the nose.     But if she is an agouti,  she sure is not showing much tabby.... so  i am wondering if she is genetically a ticked tabby.  That breaks the pattern up so it's not obvious stripes, spots, swirls etc. on the body.     Breeders try to get a nice even coat in red cats .. I think Bella may have just come by it naturally.  

I don't think she looks like a specific breed.  She has different features like different breeds.   ( For ex. people often compare domestic longhairs to the 3  northern longhair "forest cat" breeds -- Siberian, Norwegian Forest Cat and Maine Coon.   She has a kind of triangular face like a Norwegian,  but the profile does not look like them at all.  looks more like one of the others.

Really most likely is,  like the great majority of cats,  she is descended from many generations of cats who just bred randomly on their own,  and would be called a Domestic Longhair.  

She looks SO sweet and cuddly .   Thanks for taking this pretty kitty in so she got a loving home.  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pattern is called for Van pattern, as I see it. So if she is purebred, I guess it should be Turkish Van.

Although that pattern isnt that very unusual, so there are quite a few look alikes and wanna bees, but otherwise without clear breed, like 95% of cats are..

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.