What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gloria  looks like she enjoys finding little niches to sit in.  She probably thinks the shelves are made for her.    as little observation posts ... or meditation posts for her to maintain her serene outlook. 

She is definitely not a Siamese or Ragdoll. she is way too heavy boned and thick-coated for a Siamese.    plus they do not normally have all that white.  And a Ragdoll is a longhair cat.  The coats never look this short.    Plus a Ragdoll is defined in its breed standard as a pointed cat.,  or pointed and white.   and sometimes they do turn out with this much white.

As Stefan says,  it looks like Gloria has a pattern called a van pattern.  It is named after the Turkish Van cat , but it  doesn't mean every cat with that pattern is a Turkish Van. Most of them aren't . 

and if you did not get papers from a reputable cat association,  I doubt she is a Turkish Van which is quite rare. ( If you bought a Turkish Van as a kitten , you would have paid probably  $800. )

A Turkish Van is a semi-longhair breed,  but in summer  it can look almost more like a thick shorthair coat.  and i don't  know when the photos were taken.  but at least some of the time they would have a bit longer coat and fluffy tail.   http://vankkadia.com/vans.html

I really can't think of another breed she really resembles.  Of course as Stefan said,  the great majority of cats are not a breed,  they have just 

I don't know what the breeder might have said, but unfortunately there are  people who claim kittens are some specific breed in order to sell them.....      or they may just not know much about breeds and think certain markings mean a cat is a certain breed. 

But it only costs about $10 or 12 to register a litter IF the parent cats are registered .  and there is no reason for any reputable breeder not to register the litter.  It's how they keep track of their lineage.    If a kitten is sold without papers,  it is not because it would be so expensive to register them,  it's because they can't get papers for some reason,  the most common one being it is not  the breed they are claiming. 

Oh well ,   she is a cute kitty and hopefully being cross eyed is no problem to her... she probably just blocks out the signal from one eye so that she doesn't see double.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I love her name, it's really great for her appearance.  I know she's a domestic with calico coloring, but not sure if she is long or shorthaired.  Hard to tell because I can't see her tail and kittens are all rather floofy at that age.  But she is a calico for sure.

How did you come upon such a very young kitten?  4 weeks is awful young to be taken from her mom.

manizheh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
there is a breed called exotic, these guys are basically short/plush coated persians. 

This is what your guy looks like.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Lucky  looks like a handsome black domestic shorthair .   If I  were to try to come up with any breed resemblance it would probably be closest to American Shorthair which is the pedigree version of domestic shorthairs (random-bred "regular" kitties)  from North America,  but unlike dogs,  most cats are not breeds in the sense of having been selectively bred by humans,  they have just bred randomly on their own. 

I love the one of him lying on his back with his head curved around.  Cute! 
Here is my cat, Lucky, what breed do you think he looks like?

<snip>

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I think I can say without a doubt that Sasha is The Breed of Absolute Adorableness.    

Seriously,  I don't know that this adorable kitten really looks like a breed.   but most cats aren't a breed or mix of breeds.   The big eyes remind me a bit of a Singapura but that is NOT to say I think she is partly that very rare breed!      she just has similarly cute big eyes in a little face.   She doesn't otherwise look like them since they're always ticked tabby,  and the face shape is a bit different.  

A bit like American Shorthair which is the pedigree version of the regular "domestic shorthair" cats of the US.  but Sasha's ears are bigger. 

She  looks like probably her pattern is Brown Mackerel Tabby. ( if there are vertical stripes on the sides,  which I can't see for sure in the photo).   

Sasha also looks quite young,  so you will have to see how she turns out as she grows up.    

Personally I think we need to see a LOT more photos....   purely for serious research purposes of course.  ;) 

Quote:
What kind do you think my Sasha looks like?

burdgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok i found my cat out side one day when she was a baby so i picked her up and took her home and she is some type of Siamese or Balinese or Himalayan but what i was wondering is if you can go somewhere and have them take measurements and then give you a paper saying she a per breed so i can take her to a cat show.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok i found my cat out side one day when she was a baby so i picked her up and took her home and she is some type of Siamese or Balinese or Himalayan but what i was wondering is if you can go somewhere and have them take measurements and then give you a paper saying she a per breed so i can take her to a cat show.
That isn't possible.  The only way to prove a cat is purebred, is by having the papers provided by a breeder, which states as such.  Otherwise, she is just considered a domestic at, either short or longhaired.

It's highly unlikely to find a purebred kitten like that on the street.  I would think the only possibility, slim as it is, would be if she was microchipped, and lost.  The chip would have info about her on it.  But that would mean that she has an owner somewhere that is probably looking for her.

Do you have photos to post so we can see her?  This way someone can give a better assessment of what type of domestic she is, such as coat type.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  The bad news is,  No,  you can't get papers that way to show the cat in a pedigreed class where they are judged against a breed standard. 

BUT --  the good news is that you don't need that to take her to a cat show!   There is a class ( category)  called Household Pets in which you can show a regular cat who is not a particular breed ,  or a cat who resembles some breed but doesn't have pedigree  papers.    They are judged on condition,  ( being healthy and in good shape),  personality ( friendly and like meeting new people... they can be either very playful or more calm,  but should not be aggressive),  grooming,  and beauty in the eye of the judge. ( since there's not a specific breed standard to judge them by,  it is just acknowledged that it's subjective) 

Every TICA show has a Household Pets class,  and many CFA shows do,  For CFA you would need to contact the entry clerk of a show you are considering  to find out if there will be a Household Pet class,    I am sure ACFA has it at some shows too. 

Here is a link about showing HHPs from TICA's website  http://www.tica.org/public/hhp.php

Or look at the CFA or ACFA websites for info about showing in those associations. 

It sounds like youprobably  mean she  has a pointed coat pattern,  but that would not mean she is any specific breed, because the gene for that pattern has gotten widely spread through the population of random-breeding cats   ( who are like 95+% of cats) -- the cats called "domestic shorthairs" and "domestic longhairs" .  By now, there are many pointed cats who just got that pattern passed down from distant ancestors of one of those breeds.  .  

To be honest, it's  not very likely she would be a Siamese or Balinese or Himalayan especially if you found her as a baby;  purebred kittens are even less likely than purebred adult cats to be running around outside alone 

But if you post some photos , people could say if she resembles a breed besides the coloring.   and could tell you the specific name of her color/ pattern, in case you are not sure. 

Either way,  I bet she is pretty!     I had a blue lynx point domestic longhair who was a wonderful cat.  I am sure he did not have much of any breed in him. but he was one of the sweetest cats I have known. 

myrnahammoud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well actually I found them on the street in a box left by their Mom. And I didnt want to leave them so I took two ...Twin sisters to play together..I got Puzzle and My sister Minou (the other kitten ) so I had to take them to the vet do their vaccins and get them milk , powder shampoo and Im waiting for their two months to shower them.
Thanks , I chose the name for her furr so random :)

Last edited:

myrnahammoud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've made my reaearch...do you think it's Aegean kitten ?
It has the same caracteristics .... I dont know can you make sure ?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! I want to know which breed my beautiful Cici most resembles!

///

Wow you have another very cute cat with Seal Point and White pattern but  a different arrangement of the white.. .    I don't know that she really looks like any breed,   she is just her own unique self.    I suppose one could say she is a bit like a Snowshoe with less than "ideal" markings.   The pedigree Snowshoes are quite rare,  the breed did not really take off , probably partly because they were so picky about the ideal markings and it is notoriously difficult to control  the amount and placement of  white patches    ( except in the Birmans they seem to be able to do it because its thought there is a separate gene just for the white feet.  but the Snowshoes wanted not only white  "shoes"  but also a symmetrical white area in the middle of the face  ... and no other white!    I think it was such a pain getting show quality cats that people just did not want to deal with it.   They have since broadened the standard to allow some other variations of pattern but it is still a rare breed.   On the other hand,  there are a LOT more random-bred  cats ( "domestic shorthairs" who have a combination of a pointed pattern and white markings.  -- a lot more pointed & white moggies than there are pedigree Snowshoes.    Most of those ,  like Cici,  don't look like they have any large amount of Siamese in them.     but  some of the Snowshoes might not either. 

Status
Not open for further replies.