What Breed does Iso-Dora resemble?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... I have to say the code for Asian Shorthair made me lol.. They maybe should have thought about it a bit more. "This is my huge white ASS, isn't he handsome?"
More from Little Britain I think!  Guess that ASS doesn't mean the same in Fife-land as in the UK & US....

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They maybe should have thought about it a bit more. "This is my huge white ASS, isn't he handsome?"

Does this pic make my ASS look big?  or...My ASS is bigger than your ASS....oh noooo siree,  your ASS is bigger than any ASS I've ever seen. Don't forget, there's an ASS for every saddle.

Last edited:

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think this is the real problem with this
Problem is the OP is not on the US, so continuing to post Calico and its American description is irrelevant to the OP

This isn't a laymen vs breeders term issue, had the poster been in the US then Calico would be the correct answer, however in this case Tortie & White is correct
That is true. I should have said in the breeders' forum in general, since this thread isn't the first time the term issues have come up.

For the record, I do agree with the tortie and white as the correct designation!!

But..it says "Breeders Corner" in the title of this section. One would assume that it is a place where breeders write, and people who come here asking questions about breed or color should expect (I did when I joined) to get replies from breeders with correct terms (as they might not even know the self invented or slang words, even if just because not all of us are native English speakers). If they don't want the real terms, why would they come and post in the "Breeders Corner", there are other sections too, like the cat lounge?:think:

Maybe they should switch the name and make all of us breeders leave so there wouldn't be any confusing or crazy topics like "Hey, this is my silver Persian, what do you think? He was born in our shed, the mother was a stray we couldn't catch. -Pretty cat. Looks like a blue domestic shorthair to me. -Agreed, blue DSH. -U LIE! IS A PERSIAN, I know 'cause my cousin once saw a picture of one and said my cat is one. I trust him and not you evil snotty people!"
Yeah, we could have a Serious Breeders' Forum and a People with Moggies Who Think They Have Pedigrees' Forum. :lol3:

Perhaps we should have a sticky thread with common color terms used in English slang and their formal conversions? Like,

Orange in slang US English = red in Breeder

etc.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps we should have a sticky thread with common color terms used in English slang and their formal conversions? Like,
etc.
If only it'd be that simple, I've been told orange also means cream, golden and amber, and the list for gray is even longer.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
etc.
Well, now I feel totally embarrassed about the US English slang thing
  I posted today in the 'Caption this Picture' thread referencing an 'Orange' Tabby, and then wondered if the correct term wasn't 'Red Tabby'.  Now I am looking at my Manx Rufus' Cat Registration and it is Red Tabby. 
  I think we are so accustomed in the US to use English slang terms that we never give it a second thought.  I have always thought Red and Orange were interchangeable terms.

Bring on the sticky thread

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People with nonpedigreed cats often don't realize that, unlike dogs, cats usually can't be traced back to a purebred ancestor. For a dog, you can usually guess at whether there's a hound or a shepherd in its ancestry, and though you might not be quite sure, the dog probably did have a purebred ancestor or two, and not too far back. But it's likely that a cat never had a purebred ancestor, period. So naturally, like they would with dogs, they ask, "What breed could my cat be?" without realizing that the answer is, "Most cats don't belong to breeds at all." It's an understandable question.

But these folks do still like to know the terms for their cat's coloring, and who better than a breeder to tell them? Sure, maybe it's a brown mackerel tabby and not anything particularly rare or complex, but still--the beauty of a cat deserves at least some attempt at description, no matter how common his coloring.

justsanker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Negative. In my experience, dilute is not he color at all, but simply the expression of dilution in the genes.   Not "oh yes I have a diluted with white" but when it comes to moggies, no one really cares if its a fawn or a lilac, I guess.

Interesting though, is the apparent emergence of 'pastel mosaic' when referring to a moggie with a diluted tortie gene. I have actually heard that a few times.

But then you are a breeder (of gorgeous felines btw!) and I deal with rescues.

So, not only am I fascinated by the difference in Amer. vs. Brit. launguage, but also in the Breeder vs. Darwinism Genetic out looks on such subjects.

justsanker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Isa-Dora is not a white base.

She is a Black cat, self or tabby[irrelevant], with the tortie red mutation 'and white' because the white is actually caused by a gloving masking gene.

Though I will admit, this whole thread has gone off track with the language topic, and I am just as guilty for it.

justsanker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ever heard of this is the breeders section where correct terms and genetics matter, not pet owners incorrect slang.
Question, if you have already established, for everyone, that this is a moggie, then why can't we use moggie slang?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So does that mean TCS members, who may not even know the correct terms, can't ask their questions here?
Yes they can, but I think it would be wiser for those who don't actually know the answer (or enough of the topic) to not reply. It's just confusing. For example, someone asks what breed their cat might be (posts a pic of a moggie) and what color it is (let's say a red point), then someone replies "Looks like a Siamese to me, orange point". Now the OP probably thinks that because they posted in the breeders corner, this must be correct.

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes they can, but I think it would be wiser for those who don't actually know the answer (or enough of the topic) to not reply. It's just confusing. For example, someone asks what breed their cat might be (posts a pic of a moggie) and what color it is (let's say a red point), then someone replies "Looks like a Siamese to me, orange point". Now the OP probably thinks that because they posted in the breeders corner, this must be correct.
I do have to agree with that.  I find some of them rather amusing and even laugh out loud funny, but hey.

What I am learning from this thread is the differences around the world in how we describe our cats, and that's wonderful! 

But as a longtime purebred owner here in the states (mind you I have never shown or bred my pets) I am finding that I have been using incorrect terms without even realizing.  We are so used to our English Slang to describe a cat.

Last edited:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've learned a lot while reading this meandering and interesting thread, and I've gained new understanding of and respect for how breeders view this animal that we all love. Because of that, I have to agree with what NorthernGlow posted.
Yes they can, but I think it would be wiser for those who don't actually know the answer (or enough of the topic) to not reply. It's just confusing.
At the risk of seeming harsh or judgmental, as has already been stated more than once in this thread: this is in fact Breeders' Corner. As it says in this forum's guidelines:

"It is our goal to assist anyone who wishes to read or post messages by providing friendly, educational responses. We want ALL readers to feel welcomed....

"We welcome your input here so long as you can remember that we are first and foremost, breeders. For many of us, breeding is a passion we take quite seriously ....Please remember that as you post your messages."

(Added emphasis mine.) http://www.thecatsite.com/t/143550/forum-guidelines

Ostensibly, the people who post photos of their moggies wanting to know about breeds or colors (despite the sticky thread that pretty much explains that if you have to ask about the breed, the answer is "none") come to this forum because they want a breeder's opinion and accurate terms. It muddies the waters when the whole world pipes up and starts saying, "But I've always called that color 'pickacolor' my whole life, so I know what it is." And then be bothered when a breeder says, "No, the accurate name for that color is 'correct terminology accepted by experts in several parts of the world.' "

I humbly suggest that, as tempting as it is to suggest new sticky threads to clear up confusion, much confusion would be either prevented or resolved by reading the ones that are already posted.

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I've been following this thread and wanted to add this -

I really appreciate feedback about the site and I'd like to thank you all for providing feedback about the breeders forum here. In the future, it would be far more effective if you could PM your ideas/thoughts/criticism to me directly. I'm open to suggestions and new ideas, and I'd be happy to try and work with members to make this forum more attractive to breeders. When you PM me, feel free to go wild with your criticism, I can take it all ;) Just when you're posting in public, please be more careful. This isn't about censorship, but about lessons learned from 14 years of managing forums and the dynamics of such discussions. They can and will be derailed and end up doing more damage than good. Trust me on that one, been there done that too many times. Bottom line, there's a reason for our rules and I ask that if you choose to participate on TCS, to please respect them.

As for the issue at hand (should I say the off-topic issue at hand...), I have put together an article a while ago, that's aimed at people who come here with the eternal question of "what breed is my cat"? Undoubtedly the most frequently asked question on this forum ever -

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/what-breed-is-my-cat

Feel free to refer new users to this article as a starting point. They will come back for more input, because they basically look up to breeders and wish to get an expert's opinion, but hopefully it'll take the edge off the initial shock and dismay. If you think something needs to be added to the article, that's doable too. Maybe something along the lines of what to expect from the replies they may get from breeders here?