What Breed does Iso-Dora resemble?

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no, in the US, tortie and calico are considered (by non breeders) to be two different types of patterns - they are not considered types of each other

so a cat could be described as a tabbie or a tortie or calico or a color point for example.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
no, in the US, tortie and calico are considered (by non breeders) to be two different types of patterns - they are not considered types of each other

so a cat could be described as a tabbie or a tortie or calico or a color point for example.
Bolded emphasis mine. I think this is the real problem with this thread -- there's a difference between laymen's terms and breeders' terms. Certainly the breeders' terms are technically the correct ones, but that doesn't mean the laymen's terms don't exist. :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is the real problem with this
Problem is the OP is not on the US, so continuing to post Calico and its American description is irrelevant to the OP

This isn't a laymen vs breeders term issue, had the poster been in the US then Calico would be the correct answer, however in this case Tortie & White is correct

Last edited:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thanks for answering this for me. But it makes me wonder, would there be a difference in breeders' terms? Just trying to understand.

ETA: As far as this thread goes, I think it was hijacked long ago!
We've long since stopped referring to the OP's cat!

Last edited:

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for answering this for me. But it makes me wonder, would there be a difference in breeders' terms? Just trying to understand.

I'm afraid a USA based breeder would have to answer that, as I am not a breeder. It was not until this thread that I realized that calicos and tortishells are considered the same thing in other parts of the world and / or breeders.....

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is the real problem with this thread -- there's a difference between laymen's terms and breeders' terms. Certainly the breeders' terms are technically the correct ones, but that doesn't mean the laymen's terms don't exist.
But..it says "Breeders Corner" in the title of this section. One would assume that it is a place where breeders write, and people who come here asking questions about breed or color should expect (I did when I joined) to get replies from breeders with correct terms (as they might not even know the self invented or slang words, even if just because not all of us are native English speakers). If they don't want the real terms, why would they come and post in the "Breeders Corner", there are other sections too, like the cat lounge?

Maybe they should switch the name and make all of us breeders leave so there wouldn't be any confusing or crazy topics like "Hey, this is my silver Persian, what do you think? He was born in our shed, the mother was a stray we couldn't catch. -Pretty cat. Looks like a blue domestic shorthair to me. -Agreed, blue DSH. -U LIE! IS A PERSIAN, I know 'cause my cousin once saw a picture of one and said my cat is one. I trust him and not you evil snotty people!"

(For some reason in my mind that person asking about their cat in this imaginary conversation sounds like Vicky Pollard:

,but then again it's 5am here and I really should go to sleep..
) And no, I am not trying to offend anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StealthKitty  

Well, TICA is an US based registry and they don't use the term 'calico', it's 'tortie with white' in their color list too.

And hijacking can be enlightening, like in this case where most of us have probably learned something new. And it is still related to the OP's cat as the color we are discussing about is the color of the kitty in the pic.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But..it says "Breeders Corner" in the title of this section. One would assume that it is a place where breeders write, and people who come here asking questions about breed or color should expect (I did when I joined) to get replies from breeders with correct terms (as they might not even know the self invented or slang words, even if just because not all of us are native English speakers). If they don't want the real terms, why would they come and post in the "Breeders Corner", there are other sections too, like the cat lounge?

Maybe they should switch the name and make all of us breeders leave so there wouldn't be any confusing or crazy topics like "Hey, this is my silver Persian, what do you think? He was born in our shed, the mother was a stray we couldn't catch. -Pretty cat. Looks like a blue domestic shorthair to me. -Agreed, blue DSH. -U LIE! IS A PERSIAN, I know 'cause my cousin once saw a picture of one and said my cat is one. I trust him and not you evil snotty people!"

(For some reason in my mind that person asking about their cat in this imaginary conversation sounds like Vicky Pollard:   ,but then again it's 5am here and I really should go to sleep..
This is the best post I've seen all day! Thanks for the laugh! And yes, I have learned a lot from this thread.

Northern Glow, I see I was composing my post as you were posting yours. I suppose I might have misunderstood what I read on the CFA website, but they list tortoise and calico as two separate colors in this PDF document:

http://www.cfa.org/documents/forms/12-13showrules.pdf

So TICA says they are the same? Oh dear, it's all very confusing in the US. Is it really all uniform in Europe and Australia? I can see why it's frustrating to breeders when others try to answer breed-related questions with colloquial terms.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So TICA says they are the same? Oh dear, it's all very confusing in the US. Is it really all uniform in Europe and Australia? I can see why it's frustrating to breeders when others try to answer breed-related questions with colloquial terms.
Yeah, no calicoes (sp?) in TICA, just torties. Seems like CFA makes an exception. So part of the North America uses the term calico and it's correct there, the rest, including parts of South America (bit surprisingly under FIFé registry) use 'tortie with white'. 

*eta* TICA's colors: http://www.tica.org/public/colors.php, FIFé's colors (scroll down, under the breed list): http://fifeweb.org/wp/breeds/breeds_ems.php

Last edited:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

If they don't want the real terms, why would they come and post in the "Breeders Corner", there are other sections too, like the cat lounge?
Maybe we should start a new forum called "In Your Opinion..." where everyone can post photos of their new (paperless) kittens and start a poll about what breed it most resembles.
That way, the new owners can have the satisfaction of saying to their friends, "I've been told she resembles a tabby Siamese Bengal with some Scottish Fold in her! That's why her ears are short and she likes to scratch and bite. It's the Bengal and Scots Fold in her! No, I doubt that it's because of the winter she spent on the streets before I rescued her."  And the folks in Breeders Corner could devote their time to more salient topics instead of repeatedly answering all those posts with the same information:

"Pretty moggie, no specific breed."

"Yes, I know your kitten's name is Princess Twinkletoes, not moggie. A moggie is a cat with no specific breed."

"No, there's no such thing as domestic medium hair."

"Yes, Princess Twinkletoes is beautiful but she's still a moggie."

"No, I'm not being mean, that's just how it is."

You must need a lot of patience to keep answering those posts, knowing that they are all variations on the same theme.

(Sorry if I got carried away here! I guess it's time for me to go to bed too!)

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

(For some reason in my mind that person asking about their cat in this imaginary conversation sounds like Vicky Pollard:   ,but then again it's 5am here and I really should go to sleep..
Excellent!  Gave me a good laugh and so did the video.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe we should start a new forum called "In Your Opinion..." where everyone can post photos of their new (paperless) kittens and start a poll about what breed it most resembles.
That way, the new owners can have the satisfaction of saying to their friends, "I've been told she resembles a tabby Siamese Bengal with some Scottish Fold in her! That's why her ears are short and she likes to scratch and bite. It's the Bengal and Scots Fold in her! No, I doubt that it's because of the winter she spent on the streets before I rescued her." 

Another excellent post, another good laugh before work!  Keep them coming.

aliencat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the US, we call this a tortoiseshell:
Looks sort of like a "brindle" dog.
And we call this a calico.
The red and black patches are just that -- patches -- and not as "mixed in" as in the tortie.
So cat #2 in other countries would be called a tortoiseshell and white?
In NZ, both cats would be called Tortoiseshells, the second tortie with white or black/blue/etc tortie bicolour.

Not a breeder, just a pet owner. I do try to use 'correct' terms.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

FIFé's colors (scroll down, under the breed list): http://fifeweb.org/wp/breeds/breeds_ems.php
Fife uses a sensible naming system - three letters for the breed (e.g. OSH = Oriental Shorthair, SIA = Siamese) and then a suffix for the colour and pattern.  The GCCF is all over the place, and even in the new breeds that have a more systematic code there are at least two systems for the colour / pattern being used.

Fife also cuts around the different words used in some breeds for a genetically black cat so a black Oriental Shorthair would (I think) be an OSH n:

n
black ("n" comes from the French noir, meaning black), seal (in pointed cats), brown (in BUR), ruddy (in ABY and SOM), tawny (in OCI)

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bwahaha!!  So "aristocratic" then 

Little Britain is the best show ever.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fife uses a sensible naming system - three letters for the breed (e.g. OSH = Oriental Shorthair, SIA = Siamese) and then a suffix for the colour and pattern.  The GCCF is all over the place, and even in the new breeds that have a more systematic code there are at least two systems for the colour / pattern being used.

Fife also cuts around the different words used in some breeds for a genetically black cat so a black Oriental Shorthair would (I think) be an OSH n:

n
black ("n" comes from the French noir, meaning black), seal (in pointed cats), brown (in BUR), ruddy (in ABY and SOM), tawny (in OCI)
The cats are registered by their genotype, so the 'n' includes all those that are genetically black. The breed naming system is very simple too, though I have to say the code for Asian Shorthair made me lol.. They maybe should have thought about it a bit more. "This is my huge white ASS, isn't he handsome?"