What A Scared Cat Can Do...

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you need to keep wounds covered and moist, vaseline works perfectly. this will lessen scarring and heal much cleaner. you do not want wounds to dry out at all. i looked into this awhile back and found multiple studies to confirm this :thumbsup:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OMGosh... I know your kitty did this is FEAR... but please, could you please, go see your own doctor, or Get to the emergency Room!!

Please...

I got a playful, medicated bite, (after a dental); ignored it for a couple of weeks, until it was inflamed--swollen, red, and itchy... I had a and infection. I finally ended up going to the ER because it was so itchy and red. I knew it was an infection...
I was immediately given an IV antibiotic, a culture done, was given one antibiotic~~~ until the culture results came in, and then was converted to a different, more specific antibiotic...

And: I was very careful with the management of that bite--BEFORE I went to the ER...

I worry about bites and scratches...

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat bite article on this site was very informative, I had no idea just how dangerous even a small bite can be. Kudos to Ann and all the wonderful members of the TCS family. :beerchug: :woohoo::banana1: :banana2:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
This is what happens when you try to calm down a scared cat that's tangled in a harness...
View attachment 181703 View attachment 181704 View attachment 181705

I was walking my cat on a harness and a loose dog startled him (I've only ever seen one loose dog in our area before!), in the panic he got tangled in the harness and ripped into me as I was trying to untangle him! He managed to untangle himself and run into a bush, by that point the dog was gone and I was shaking with adrenaline! These cuts were bleeding like crazy but my lovely fiance patched me up!

The cat is fine thankfully. He was quite jumpy for a while afterward but went to sleep as soon as he felt safe again.

Just a bit of a warning over the things that can go wrong when walking in public with harnesses! Looking back the best action might have been just to let him go instead of trying to pick him up... We'll certainly be sticking to the backyard for some time now!!
:wave3:How are you doing? Did you get to a doctor? Please, please keep us updated.:nono:

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always keep hydrogen peroxide handy a few sprays on these will do the trick. Unless its not healing
correctly I wouldn't be overly alarmed. Glad you retrieved
your Cat OK Accidents will happen can happen very fast. As long as your cat knows where home is
you have less to worry about in emergencies. If you have friends with dogs
start having them visit with their dogs the more exposure in safe conditions the better.

Last edited:

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cut you've got on your palm, I've gotten that a couple of times.
The thing that gets me is my cat cuts me and spends the rest of the day running scared, like she's the one who got hurt.
By rights I should be hiding in a corner from her!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, the fact that you bled a lot was very good, the bleeding was nature's way of "cleaning out" the wound. Then applying an antiseptic as you did was a good choice. If it looks like it is healing, wonderful. Any sign of infection, red striations running up your arm or wrist, you will need to be seen medically asap.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, sorry I haven't updated this for a while. The cuts are healing nicely, no sign of infection. The one of the back of my hand is taking longer to heal than the others (which are pretty much closed up now) but I think that's just the area that it's in (the skin there moves a lot). I have a LOT of experience with cuts after working in hospitality for a few years... I've burned myself countless times, cut myself even more, grated my skin off, grated the corner of my thumb and nail off and stabbed my index finger down to the thumb... let's just say I'm not quite cut out for hospitality work!

The harness we use is a Rogz cat harness: GlowCat - Rogz and one of those retractable leads. I've been walking him out in our courtyard and tried out the front last night (I walk him late at night as there is barely any traffic or people around, although he's generally not scared of cars going by), he was a little jumpy so we came inside after a few minutes.

It's funny but he doesn't mind the harness and will actually wait by the front door meowing when I get it out. I understand there's always risks with loose dogs, loud cars and people scaring him, thankfully so far it's only been this one encounter with the dog, and I think it was only my instinct to pick him up that resulted in the scratches. Our house is quite small, as is the courtyard, so I like to let him out in order to enrich his environment and tire him out a little (it's hard to wear him out when he can run for one end of the house to the other in about 3 seconds!).

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
20170527_170127-1.jpg I am so glad you are healing well and your kitty is still wanting to go outside. We carry cross country ski poles in case we need to protect Gypsy or ourselves when we take her out in her Kitty Holster walking jacket. The way it is is constructed I think it could be used to quickly lift her out of danger without harming her.

Last edited:

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I occasionally get scratches while brushing Abby (she doesn't like her long haired hind end fussed with) and I always use hand sanitizer after.
We used to take Sassea (avatar, R.I.P.) out on harness and she enjoyed it until my wife interfered with her pouncing on a baby rabbit. After that she didn't want the harness so she didn't go out.
Abby will go to vet and walk in grass a little with a harness.
Ruby just screams and fights like we're mean terrible people so she has to use a carrier and cry's the whole time.
Our instinct is to protect them but in reality if you hold them tighter or still to try and help you are adding to their panic.
I'm happy to keep our cats inside.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you're better! I wouldn't have gone to the doctor over that. Then again, me with blood running down my arm is pretty much normal. LOL
With a little trial and error, you do get better at hands on restraint. So far the one that works best is a pin them to the ground, belly down, on your knees, with cat between your legs, and both hands over their shoulder blades. Not enough to squish or hurt them, but, firm enough they can't swat or wiggle.
BTW: Welcome to dark side of my world! LOL

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you're better! I wouldn't have gone to the doctor over that. Then again, me with blood running down my arm is pretty much normal. LOL
With a little trial and error, you do get better at hands on restraint. So far the one that works best is a pin them to the ground, belly down, on your knees, with cat between your legs, and both hands over their shoulder blades. Not enough to squish or hurt them, but, firm enough they can't swat or wiggle.
BTW: Welcome to dark side of my world! LOL
Wow! Beautiful! American Bobcat?

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Our girl really freaks me out sometimes with her love displays, just because I know what damage those sharp teeth and claws can do. :cold: Today she wrapped her front legs around my ankle & proceeded to open her mouth and place teeth on skin and also lick. I freeze when she does it, usually it's my arm and hand. She never puts claws out enough to hurt nor bites down. We never play with hands with her. I've have been around animals all my life but have never been that close to potential damage for such a length of time and its hard not to flinch away. In the past the the experiences were usually half-hearted snaps as animals really like me and I know when to leave them enough space and when to keep my hands to myself. She lets go after a minute or so. She licks both of us but I'm the only one (so far) to get the 'Aha! I've got you' treatment. Silly girl, love her lots.:catrub::lovecat2:

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, southern bobcat (native to my area).
They were once common here, but in 1977 bobcats were placed on Illinois’ first official list of threatened species. They have made a comeback, mostly in southern IL but now the a$$holes in our so called 'government' are allowing them to be TRAPPED. I don't mind hunting with bow & arrow or firearms for food, but traps should be outlawed across the nation. Your babys are beautiful and look very content and happy.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Only have one bob though. One is plenty. :lol: