What A Scared Cat Can Do...

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is what happens when you try to calm down a scared cat that's tangled in a harness...
IMG_20170525_203103570.jpg IMG_20170525_203111824.jpg IMG_20170525_203123141.jpg

I was walking my cat on a harness and a loose dog startled him (I've only ever seen one loose dog in our area before!), in the panic he got tangled in the harness and ripped into me as I was trying to untangle him! He managed to untangle himself and run into a bush, by that point the dog was gone and I was shaking with adrenaline! These cuts were bleeding like crazy but my lovely fiance patched me up!

The cat is fine thankfully. He was quite jumpy for a while afterward but went to sleep as soon as he felt safe again.

Just a bit of a warning over the things that can go wrong when walking in public with harnesses! Looking back the best action might have been just to let him go instead of trying to pick him up... We'll certainly be sticking to the backyard for some time now!!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, your advice for letting your cat go, instead of picking him up, is very wise.
But I would have done the same as you, since I think it's kind of our instinct to pick them up, and want to protect them...not thinking that they could do a better job of it, than us.

Could you put some aloe, vitamin E cream, or antiseptic lotion on your hand?
I think it will sting for a bit, like a paper cut, but leaving it to air-dry versus covering it, may make it heal faster.
So glad that your cat's okay, and that your fiance was there to help out.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
............Could you put some aloe, vitamin E cream, or antiseptic lotion on your hand?
I think it will sting for a bit, like a paper cut, but leaving it to air-dry versus covering it, may make it heal faster..............
Yea, aloe is good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wahine01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been putting Bepanthem on it and had to cover it with a light bandage for work but otherwise I'm leaving it uncovered. I'm pretty lucky my fiance didn't pass out from seeing the blood, he faints around needles and hates seeing blood (I can't even talk about surgery or cuts or anything like that) except seems strangely calm when someone around him needs first aid!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I got stripped to the bone on my left palm a few years ago. I kept Neosporin with the pain killer slathered on and loose gauze held in place by vet wrap when I was doing anything. Mook my stranger danger child thought the cable guy was still in the house and went nuts when I picked her up.
What happened to you is one of the BIG reasons I've never taken my cats out on harness. We have loads of loose dogs I wouldn't even feel that safe in our own field.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same thing happened to us! But we were using one of those jacket harnesses and he slipped right out of it. Our instinct was to try to grab him before he ran into the woods. Bad idea. Those cuts on the palm of the hand hurt the worst! Next time I would get the kind of harness that is more secure like the Come With Me Kitty Harness. What kind of harness were you using?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear it does look bad ! If your back yard is safe if stick to that! I think very few cats take to harnesses etc .. We think we need to take them out and feel guilty not letting them roam out there free ... However I think if they are loved fed and looked after, the outside world isn't that appealing to them

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope you heal quickly wahine01 wahine01 . That must really sting.

I can't take Speedy in the front yard (on the harness) any longer as they have re-done the road and have brought the traffic close to my front door! A VERY loud truck went by one day and she jumped very, very high and got slightly tangled but I managed to untangle her. I have to carry her to the back yard now where it is quiet. We have our best times walking in the back, but she used to love our front yard. We now have a sidewalk, too, out front and dogs also are being walked which stresses her out. I can really relate to your experience. Let us know how you are coming along. Healing thoughts to you and kitty from R raysmyheart and Speedy! :hugs:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what happens when you try to calm down a scared cat that's tangled in a harness...
View attachment 181703 View attachment 181704 View attachment 181705

I was walking my cat on a harness and a loose dog startled him (I've only ever seen one loose dog in our area before!), in the panic he got tangled in the harness and ripped into me as I was trying to untangle him! He managed to untangle himself and run into a bush, by that point the dog was gone and I was shaking with adrenaline! These cuts were bleeding like crazy but my lovely fiance patched me up!

The cat is fine thankfully. He was quite jumpy for a while afterward but went to sleep as soon as he felt safe again.

Just a bit of a warning over the things that can go wrong when walking in public with harnesses! Looking back the best action might have been just to let him go instead of trying to pick him up... We'll certainly be sticking to the backyard for some time now!!
Most of the cats in my life have been indoor-only, for obvious reasons; we're fortunate enough to have a large home and lots of doors, windows, cat perches, cat furniture, toys, and time together. In our last home, which was on acreage, we did take each cat out on harness, just to let them see and feel snow. They were more than glad to come back into their catio and never asked to go back outside. I haven't even thought about harness-walking here in our urban location because there are a LOT of dogs and kids, and no need for my cats to go out. If I ever did walk them out, though, it would definitely be only in the private, fenced and gated back yard where it's absolutely safe. Hope your scratches heal quickly and well, and that your cat is not at all traumatized by the incident!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
20170520_190601.jpg 20170520_191101-1.jpg 20170520_191904.jpg View attachment 181804 View attachment 181804 View attachment 181804 View attachment 181805 View attachment 181804 View attachment 181805 View attachment 181806
View attachment 181703 View attachment 181704 View attachment 181705

Oh you poor dear! What kind of harness were you using? After considerable research I got Gypsy a Kitty Holster Cat Harness, it came last week & she has been out in it a few times. Kudos to your fiance. Thank you for the heads up warning by sharing your terrible tale and photos. Your wounds looks terrible, have you had a Tetanus shot lately? So very happy your kitty is fine and I hope you heal quickly and well.:grouphug:

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yowch. Been there as well. Carrot was spooked by a bird flying out of the bushes and escaped from his Kitty Holster harness. He scratched me badly and got away anyhow. Ran all the way to the porch. I have found now that it is much easier to stop him from running if I grab him by the scruff.

Now we have moved and have a fully fenced yard. He is only out in that yard on his harness now. We also got him a new harness that has velcro and buckles so it is way more secure.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yowch. Been there as well. Carrot was spooked by a bird flying out of the bushes and escaped from his Kitty Holster harness. He scratched me badly and got away anyhow. Ran all the way to the porch. I have found now that it is much easier to stop him from running if I grab him by the scruff.

Now we have moved and have a fully fenced yard. He is only out in that yard on his harness now. We also got him a new harness that has velcro and buckles so it is way more secure.
The trouble is cats go liquid and I worry about any harness.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise

What kind is your buckle and velcro harness?

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I did consider Hyendry, along with the Mynwood walking jacket made in England. I went with the Kitty Holster since it is recommended by Jackson Galaxy. I ordered the narrower neck piece so it ended up being custom made. So far so good. She was a stray in our quiet neighborhood for at least a year so she is familiar with the regular hazards, there aren't many, but we are ready for anything. We carry cross country ski poles in case of a loose dog etc..She really wants to, but she doesn't go out alone anymore.
After seeing the damage to wahine01 Scott is considering bringing along a pair of welding gloves.

Last edited:

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would strongly suggest you see your family physician about those scratches. That one between your thumb and finger looks like it may give you some issue. Just done a follow up with my doc over a stray cat bite to my hand. One canine clamped down about two inches past the wrist and appear to have struck the bone in my hand. X-rays, tetanus, antibiotic shot in the buttocks and 7+ days of antibiotic capsules with the side effects of Castor Oil. My doc was cautious of an infection getting into the bone.

Get it check if one or more of the scratches turns red and feels warmer than normal to the touch, as that is a sign that an infection is in the works. I would also strongly advise against letting go of the leash should this happen again. You don't want to chance your beloved cat running away and becoming lost. Moving vehicles and loose dogs are just a couple of their worst enemies out in the big mad world.