Weird human food enjoyed by Cats

omahamike

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The reply about the pineapple was supposed to go to the woman whose cat liked pineapple... don't know how it ended up here! Sorry!

squirrellycatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
According to many articles on the internet oregano by itself is no problem for your cat and neither is parsley. Both are enjoyed by some cats. However, do stay away from oregano oil which is poisonous to them and can kill cats.
Wow, that's seriously good to know.
Thanks!

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise

Yep, digging in the trash!  I've learned to take out the garbage before going to bed especially if there is anything edible in there

This wasn't in the trash yet...it was nearly a new bag with the top folded over several times, and had a chip clip on it that he managed to get off--- and get his entire head down in there!  It was awful, he had the BBQ "dust" and pieces of pork rind all in that fur.  He had tasty BBQ seasoning in his fur for probably a day or two!  It was just hilarious, I couldn't do anything but stand there and laugh at him backing up all around the living room to get his head out.  When I pulled it off, he grabbed one last bite before he took off too!

He has been know to tip the garbage can over on occasion...especially if there is a tuna can in there.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
My cat floey loves strawberries. I asked my vet and she said they wont hurt her. I grow them just for her. She used to love strawberry icecream-we only let her lick the bowl when we were done=less than a teaspoon. She is now 17-18, and still going strong. The other day she stole some chocolate icecream-we hijacked the bowl from her. She followed us around. I gave her a tiny dab of vanilla icecream-she didn't want it.

another time I was eating a sub with steak and cheese. I went to go get something and came back and she was eating the end of the sub-turned out she loves bread-she was trying to get a bite of the bread. She always loves butter. We keep all food in lock containers so she can't get it.

Honeybee loves anything I eat. Her thing is cheese crackers=those sandwich ones. the cheese cracker with cheese spread. I only let her eat a 1/4 of a cracker if that much. She loves goldfish and cheezits. She has taken a lick of spicy dressing. She has licked anything on my finger. She thinks I am mom. We never let her eat onions or garlic. BUT some nutrition nuts think garlic is ok for animals. We know better. I have actually seen some posts on facebook about flea control using garlic-now I was told that only raw garlic is deadly but to me-ANY garlic is deadly.

But that's the problem with the internet. Most people don't have enough common sense to read between the lines or even ask a question.

Yes stray cats have lived for years on whatever they can get their hands on. I would think any animal who is in the fight to live will eat whatever they can find. Of course they are ok. But then again if any got sick from the wrong foods-we never see it.

Don't forget each kitty is individual. What may harm one cat may be fine for another cat.  And we can only do the best we can with what we have. Money is tight in many homes-just do the best you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

jessie gray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of my cats have loved Cherrio's.  It doesn't matter what flavor they are (I don't give them the chocolate ones, though), they will sneak some out of my cereal bowl every morning.  If I don't put the box up in the cupboard, they will knock it off the counter and try to dig their way into the box.

MochiBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat LOVES Nilla Wafers. I was on my laptop one day eating them and he came up to me and sniffed them. I put close to him and he licked it, so I bit a chunk off. I only give him 1 or 2. He's never had any problems with them!

He also loves goldfish. Yes, the cracker. Same thing with the wafers. I crunch a couple up and put them in his food bowl for a little snack every now and then.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honeybunny was a stray surviving the mean streets of San Francisco so she learned to eat just about anything. Shes stolen an eggroll and tried to eat it-took it away bc of the onion. She also likes ice cream, will attempt to drink my pumpkin spice latte or lick my empty cup (i never let her). any cooked meat, mashed potatoes, spaghetti squash, cheese pizza and oatmeal cookies :) most i dont let her eat, some like icecream, mashed potatoes, meat ect ill let her have a few bites.