Weird human food enjoyed by Cats

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Any time.  Of course, it only worked because she thought she was getting away with something and had better swallow it fast before the humans realized what they'd done. 

Margret
Ha ohh that is SO cute and clever!!

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my roommates and I owned a Russian Blue that really  loved any type of bread. We had to keep it all in the fridge, since he'd get into cupboards for the sole reason of finding a loaf of bread and tearing through the plastic to eat it. 

There's one particular story that comes to mind; we were having a cookout to celebrate opening season and we left a plate of hot dogs and a plate of buns out on the table for people to build their own dog. We all come in after doing something outside, and there's Charlie, right on the kitchen table with his face stuffed into the pile of buns. Didn't even touch the franks, and probably wouldn't have. 

My current cat, Bliss, loves anything I'm holding. 

*edit: 

Took me awhile, but I found a picture. His goal was the pumpkin bread in the first one.  

Last edited:

csts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like to buy the vegetarian meat substitutes to eat for lunch or as a light snack since they still taste and smell like real meat, but have fewer calories since I'm on a diet. One day for dinner, I had baked a package of these things below to eat with some instant curry and rice:

I had left the rest of the fake chicken tenders out on a plate covered in cling wrap to let them cool down before I could put them in the fridge. Later on, I found rips and tears in the cling wrap and the fake chicken was half-eaten. I didn't think that my cats would be interested since cats have a better sense of smell than humans and I figured the fake chicken would smell "off" enough for them to figure out that the tenders were phony without being tempted to take a few bites just to make sure. Now I know to keep those in a container that they can't bite or scratch through.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Any time.  Of course, it only worked because she thought she was getting away with something and had better swallow it fast before the humans realized what they'd done. 

Margret

Ha ohh that is SO cute and clever!!
I had a high school teacher who had a similar technique.  You know how kids like to put one over on the teacher, trying to get him off topic?  Well, this teacher was an absolute joy to watch.  Getting the teacher "off topic" requires close attention to pull off, as this teacher was absolutely aware, so he'd sneak his most important lessons in when he was supposedly off topic.  Any time it happened, I started taking notes, because I knew that anything he said at a time like that was going to end up on a test.  Apparently I was the only one who ever did notice, though, because when I mentioned it at a class reunion several years ago everyone said "What?!  Why didn't you tell us?"  What, and spoil everyone's fun?  No way!  Besides, whether they realized that was what he was doing or not, they really did learn more because of it, and they were having fun doing it, thinking they'd put something over on him.

Margret

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On another board I once heard about a kitty that went nuts over corn on the cob. The owner say this cat would chew the whole ear, and would get very protective if anyone tried to take it away! I saw the pictures - very weird!
Mine do too. I was just about to post that my cats love corn on the cob

na-11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anything we eat, fruit, broccoli, eggs, anything.

Not toxic foods, of course.

ann marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My  ´Potito´ who passed last summer LOVED red curly Lettuce...he would meow at the fridge everyday until I gave him some.

BUT  I had to wash it first, and he would only eat it if I was holding it, so he could rip pieces off.  He also loved cooked pumpkin,

tweetysvoice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three of my cats go nuts for peanut butter and one will try just about any food we let her taste. Her weirdest is McDonald's French fries.

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh... Wow! My cats are so boring! They just eat fancy cat food. Funny, I will try corn on cob! With butter?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Really? I never knew that! Makes sense!
Almost all the fastfood places do that. That's why you keep eating the fries even after you've had enough. If you see whole potatoes in a place you know those are real potatoes that you get there, In-N-Out is one of them, you can actually see someone put these huge potatoes into a slicer before they are fried, and then fried slightly a second time to make them crispy. .Most of the others chains have their potatoes delivered pre-fried from the company and those are the ones with the beef broth on them. Then there are those which serve re-constituted fries which are ground-up and then squeezed out into the shape of a french fry, sort of like a mashed potato that is then fried to make it crispy. Better to just stay away from fastfood places. But cats love them.

catiebc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat likes almost everything. I have to scare him away from some foods because it's not good for him. He LOVES green beans!

skelekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Three of my cats go nuts for peanut butter and one will try just about any food we let her taste. Her weirdest is McDonald's French fries.
One of my boys loved the little bit of KFC fry I gave him yesterday, the other was not interested at all.

Orion doesn't really have any weird food interests, aside from the normal chicken and stuff which he's very interested in.

But pax will eat anything. The weirdest one we've come across is salt and vinegar chips. Any kind. If you don't let him have one he just licks and bites your fingers. We don't let him do it for long though because he's still only a baby.

squirrellycatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat I grew up with loved,
absolutely loved,
spaghetti.

If he even -saw- the big spaghetti pot
(coming out of the dishwasher, sitting on the counter, or being moved around to put away other dishes)
he would go on a hunger strike waiting for the spaghetti we must
- obviously -
be holding out and hiding from him.

After a few days/most of a week, we'd have to just make it anyway even if we didn't really want it (again).
One time he headbutted my legs so hard begging for it that I nearly fell over :-)

My dad would say that it was probably the oregano.
Has anyone else noticed cats going for oregano?

Now that I've been reminded of this, I'm getting some to test it on my current cat. He doesn't seem impressed with what little is in the "blend" I have on hand, so we'll see what he thinks of it by itself.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
The cat I grew up with loved,
absolutely loved,
spaghetti.

If he even -saw- the big spaghetti pot
(coming out of the dishwasher, sitting on the counter, or being moved around to put away other dishes)
he would go on a hunger strike waiting for the spaghetti we must
- obviously -
be holding out and hiding from him.

After a few days/most of a week, we'd have to just make it anyway even if we didn't really want it (again).
One time he headbutted my legs so hard begging for it that I nearly fell over :-)

My dad would say that it was probably the oregano.
Has anyone else noticed cats going for oregano?

Now that I've been reminded of this, I'm getting some to test it on my current cat. He doesn't seem impressed with what little is in the "blend" I have on hand, so we'll see what he thinks of it by itself.
According to many articles on the internet oregano by itself is no problem for your cat and neither is parsley. Both are enjoyed by some cats. However, do stay away from oregano oil which is poisonous to them and can kill cats.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Wurp loves ketchup left on plates, and BBQ flavored pork rinds. I came in the living room one night to find him trying to get a pork rind bag off his head!

omahamike

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A can of pineapple chunks would be a whole lot cheaper than a pizza!!! Especially one that you don't eat!!