Weird human food enjoyed by Cats

tibby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girl loves pineapple! She will fight u for it. I buy pizza I don't particuarly like just so I can give her pineapple lol

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trevor loves applesauce. He will lap it right out of the bowl. 

Burlington got up on the table and ripped open a brand new bag of barbeque potato chips.

fetchingmilkcap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has a strange love for Japanese cuisine - and I don't just mean sashimi. He steals shiitake and kombu when I make dashi, he is crazy about any type of seaweed, he unsurprisingly loves onigiri, and loves pretty much any sweet - dorayaki, mochi, pocky and green tea wafers, you name it - that you can find at a Japanese market. He will bite you for a piece of yokan, or anything containing adzuki, and basically green-tea flavoured anything. He went as far as to try and snort matcha, and that wasn't a pleasant experience... He loves cucumbers and canteloupe as well. Has anyone else had a similar case? I don't know how to explain why he has such a cuisine-specific passion.

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The 4 kittens love *anything* and *everything*. They are worse than my dog! Never thought that was possible.

What can cats NOT eat? Absolutely not eat? Someone mentioned avocados?
I am going to try and make it through the thread. I am not sure if it is mentioned.

Last edited:

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that absolutely loved chocolate cake. And only chocolate cake lol. Another of mine loved anything cakey, be it cupcakes, whole cakes, donuts!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Banshee was our people-food kitty. She loved bananas, but they had to be hard; she hated ripe bananas and refused them when they got soft. She shared a breakfast banana with Rick for years. After she died, that was really difficult for Rick to handle....having to eat his banana by himself. Banshee also loved mangoes and cantaloupe; she would be fast asleep back in bed and til I had made that first cut into a cantaloupe, she'd be out in the kitchen so fast, her butt would slide on the floor as she ran around the corner in the kitchen. We called her our little Chicken Hawk; she dearly loved poultry. When I put a chicken (or our Thanksgiving turkey) into the oven, as soon as it would start to smell, Banshee would sit on the floor in front of the oven and wait for the chicken to get done. When it was finally done and I'd take it out of the oven for Rick to carve, she would be jumping all over the kitchen, waiting for her share. She always got the first little pieces of poultry....as the Queen B, that was her right. She adored roast poultry.

Tabby shares Rick's breakfast cereal. On weekends, he eats cold cereal and she knows it. So if he doesn't get up early, evidently she knows it's the weekend and she'll get in bed and head-butt him to wake up. As he is preparing his cold cereal, she waits impatiently on the kitchen table for her share. She particularly loves Frosted Shredded Wheat. One night we were at the grocery store and I said to Rick that Tabby needed Frosted Shredded Wheat. Well, there was a lady behind us and we heard her chuckle. She asked us if Tabby was a cat and Rick said yes. She said it sounded like Tabby was a very spoiled cat and we said that she was indeed. Tabby also likes vanilla ice cream.

Mollipop is my Cheez-its girl. She adores Cheez-its. One night Rick was sitting on the couch with a bowl of Cheez-its and Mollipop had plopped her butt on the back of the couch with her front paws on Rick's shoulder, looking right at him. Rick said "What is Molli doing?" And I said, "Rick, you're eating Cheez-its! You cannot eat Cheez-its in this house without sharing them with Molli! It's the law!" He apologized to her and broke a Cheez-it into quarters for her. She ate two full crackers and then left him alone. She just needed her share. She really likes the White Parmesan and the Four Cheese.

chloe80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat tries to eat croissants and if we ever have Indian food she loves popodums. I say she loves them but we are aware that they're very salty so don't let her eat a lot.

She'll basically try anything on someone's plate if we let her but I save a bit of unsweetened yoghurt for her to lick out of the tub :)

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
One of my cats likes potato chips, any kind. She also begs for everything but then does not want it. She also likes cheese, particularly string cheese.  

The others will come running everytime I go into the kitchen and complain that there is nothing to eat and that they want mine but if offered do not want any of it besides sometimes a little meat gravy on their kibble. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, my Sasha used to like French bread, would jump on the counter (a real no-no) and chew a hole into the plastic wrap, then take bites out of at least four slices and drag one piece onto the floor and eat most of that. I had to put the bread into a cabinet so he could not get to it, it was too long to fit into the bread box until it was cut. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How's this for crazy...Shadow is total tobacco freak! I used to smoke, and he'd appear from nowhere every time I lit up. He'd fight me for the ashtray too...licking the residue on it after I'd emptied it (I did my best to keep it away from him, but he was good at getting through my defences!). :lol: Weird or what?

Jamie loved watermelon, Amber and Jamie both loved bread...We realised that a after we'd been slow to unpack the shopping and found the bread bag broken into which chunks nibbled out. It looked like we had seriously mutant mice!!

I think those are the weirdest ones.

Cali went nuts for evaporated milk, but that a little less surprising.

I still can't get my head around the tobacco fiend...maybe we should have called him Smokey...

bobitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just saw a stray cat outside eating some canned tuna.
She was surprisely friendly, he kept rubbing on my foot.

I can't wait to have my own cat in 2 days.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasmine likes nuts.  Any kind of nuts -- if the humans are eating them, she wants some.  I don't give them to her, of course -- they aren't the right kind of protein for a cat, and besides, I get territorial about my pistachios, but occasionally one will fall on the floor and Jasmine immediately grabs it and eats it quick before someone can take it away.

And one of Sweet Thing's kittens, Fluffy, who went to my brother, just adored bread.  One day my brother and his wife brought home groceries and left them on the counter while they went out for some other appointment, and when they came home there was Fluffy in the living room, with an obvious tummy ache, curled around the loaf of bread that had been in the grocery bags.  She'd ripped open the plastic bread bag and eaten most of the loaf starting with the center, and only quit when she was too full for another bite, but she wasn't about to let that bag go! 

Margret

Last edited:

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My male Tuxedo Obie, likes pork chops, steak, chicken, fish, ham,hotdogs, and who knows what he will like next. He loves fruit flavored yogurt,milk and when he sees me pouring cream into coffee he will cry for it.Of course he gets it. He also likes vanilla pudding. My female torticali likes potato chips and cheese nips. Both of them like chopped clams  out of the can,Obie will run into the kitchen when he hears the can opener, opening the cans.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is quite funny about Flufffy, @Margret  , my Sidney absolutely loved bread, too! We found out when she first moved in when we still left our bread on the counter. One morning we got up and found little claw-sized holes in it and about half of a couple of slices eaten. We always kept the bread inside a cupboard after that and warned all of our visitors about leaving their bread out...but once someone did not listen to us and found their bread was nibbled all up the edges of half the loaf. Just the crusts. Too funny.

Sidney also loved yogurt, but not plain just vanilla, and we sometimes gave her her medicine in a little bit of yogurt. She also loved milk, though I never let her have it she always tried to get her nose into my cereal! She liked almost any human food, really, and always tried to eat off my plate. She nibbled part of my veggie sandwich once and tried to eat a grape though they are very toxic to cats so I stopped her from that. 

One time I was baking and left the margarine open on the table (duh! I don't know why!), turned around to find Sidney on the table with her nose in the margarine licking it up. She loved margarine. She also enjoyed any kind of meat, especially chicken. She also liked sardines, cheese (especially parmesean) and eggs and always tried getting into our ice cream and chip dip (but I didn't her her). Yeah pretty much anything, she loved food!!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@sidneykitty, before we gave Fluffy to my brother, we discovered that the easy way to give her medicine was to get a slice of bread, wrap a bit of it around the pill, and roll it around until it formed a sort of dough ball.  She'd gobble it down so fast she never even noticed the pill.

Margret

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought avocado was toxic to cats? I know it is to birds because their livers can't handle it.

Radar loves yoghurt, ice cream, and for some reason likes to steal brocolli.
Best not to let the cat eat avocado. There is some sort of poison to cats in the skin and it can leak into the avocado.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Softy loved curry and mayonnaise. Gentle loved the milk from the cereal,I shared it with her, cheese and marmite. Lotto loved houmous and once stole a whole sausage off my plate. Whisky loves the milk from the cereal,ice cream, chicken especially shop bought schnitzels, marmite either butter and olives. Blighty loves the shop bought schnitzels.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My foster, Patrick, who is looking for a forever home, does not like ANY people food. He'll come sniffing and then leaves, it holds no interest. he would be ideal for a person who leaves plates with food sitting around.