(warning:possible Triggers) Confusing Orphans

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. Ive found my way to this site multiple times over the last 6 days. Don't read any further if the cruel story of how I ended up with these 4 precious babies may adversely affect you. I don't want to upset anyone but I feel it may be relevant to the condition of these babies.

Stop Here!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is going on with the kittens? How old are they? What do you need help with?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm my post self-posted before I was done writing it. Strange. Anyway heres what happened.

My brother and I parked behind a restaurant to eat some takeout in the shade. I wont go into details because I dont geel it is relevant to saving these babies.... We are homeless due to some circumstances beyond our control. So thats how we foundourselves in a random parkinglot seeking shade to eat in.

We kep hearing loud kitten screams and noticed several employees just standing around something up by the back of the building. We were parked back there but several hundred yards away by the street.

I went over to ask the people, assuming they were all just on break, if they had seen the kitten that was crying. To my shock I saw four tiny kittens laying all spread out about two to three feet apart on top of the scalding blacktop. Two were not even moving. Two were just barely wiggling and screaming as loud as they could.

I asked how long they had been there and they said about 30 minutes. Thay said they found them in their storage shed and put them there.

I asked if they were going to take them and they said no. They said the had called animal control who would be there in two hours.

I said I wanted to take them over to the sewer drain to see if their momma was one of the cats that we could see hanging out over there.

They said no. Too many strays. Take them and go if you want them. So we did. They would have died in the heat on that pavement waiting for animal control to come take them to be euthanized anyway.

I just couldn't do that. So based on their weight and physical apperance, eyes and ears closed, weight, etc we assumed they were no more than 5-7 days old.

We bought a kitchen scale to track their weight. Bottle powdered kitten formula (which they hated) and then switched to powdered goats milk.

Feeding every 2 hours at first then down to every three hours. They seemed to do ok on that once we found a bottle with ateatthat they liked. But their weight just barely moved. It would go up a few points of an ounce then back down.

We were trying various ml suggestions around the web based on their weights. Some ranged from 5ml per feeding to 12+ for two week old kittens. I was afraid 12 was way too much.

So I started with just 5 ml then tried to slowly adjust as their weight went up. Except it didnt and they continued to sort of stagnate and began acting ravenous even though after about 5 days of connstantly raising the ml of their food.

Yesterday one of them dropped below their original weight. They were up to 15ml of milk per feeding and I was afraid to go any higher because only two weeks old? Way too much.

But then last night we noticed we could see little teeth starting to come up under their gums. After trying everything I could think of to do for two week old kittens, I realized they might actually be older and just under weight.

This morning they did not want to suckle the bottle but chew on it. They are wobbly little guys but they do walk. It was taking 2-3 hours to get them to all eat their milk.

I read some suggestions that it may be time to try some wet food if they're getting too chewy on the bottle. I was afraid of giving them too much too soon but no matter how much milk they got, they continued to chew and suckle and scream as if starving.

So I decided to try mixing some Iams wet kitten food with the goats milk and water it down a little bit. I smashed it into this milky sort of liquid sludge. And got another nipple with a very slightly bigger hole.

All 4 kittens finished their share in 20 minutes. Rather than the 2-3 hours with the milk. They ate approximately 18.75m

Was this the right call? Could it hurt them if theyre not 3 weeks but instead 2 after all? I have seen no signs of worms in their poos but I will get them treated for that just as soon as I can.

We finished that feeding abou 2 hours ago and theyve just started crying again as if they are hungr again. I dont want to over feed them but I dont want them going hungry either. These little girls deserve to be full and fat and healthy after what they've gone through.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all so much!

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and they were actually playing togeter after eating their IamsSludge!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for stepping in with those little ones. If you can post a photo we might be able to help with age estimates. My feeling would be that if they are eating the slurry, keep feeding them the slurry. Have you needed to stimulate them to potty?

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I know my situation isnt ideal but I am praying I can save them.

Yes at first all of them needed help. But yesterday and today weve had some unaided poops and pees.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They sound more like the 4 week old range. In which case slurry is great and they will probably lap it out of a shallow dish. If they are doing well with it you can decrease the milk substitute and go towards just wet kitten food.

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The first is a couple days ago. The second is just now. She did not want to pose for the camera lol.

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Ok third one is today sheesh sorry! :D

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they are cutting baby teeth they are about 4 weeks old, and have been screaming and not gaining weight because they are hungry!

So you are doing the right thing in moving them to a mixture of wet food and goats milk. Continue with this, and gradually increase the amount of wet food and decrease the goats milk. Also, see if they will begin eating off a plate on their own, and begin introducing them to a litter pan.

You can initially use a disposable aluminum pan from a dollar store, with non-clumping litter in case they try to eat it.

Also, feed these kittens as often as possible for now and as much as they want. Not only is it next to impossible to overfeed growing kittens, but these guys are behind and need to gain weight. They should weigh one pound at one month, and continue to gain at least a pound a month for the next six months or so.

Also provide them with dry kitten chow 24/7 along with a dish of water.

Thank you for rescuing them! :)

C Crystaltears83

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aging

I would say 3-4 weeks after seeing the photo. Probably keep with the slurry for at least a week before going just wet food. Don’t worry about overfilling the little tummies. As much as they will eat is the perfect amount.

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they were 6.5oz, 6.6oz, 6.65oz, and 7.1oz the day after I got them. Most recent is 6.75oz , 7.0oz , 7.15oz, 7.65oz. Ok awesome. I can just let them eat until they stop cring an spitting it out then? Im afraid theyreto burs their little tummies they get so full.
I dont think they are capable of eating from a plate yet. They seem very very strong, climbing the crate even to try to get out but they also seem weak. While they are just today (maybe from the extra food?) Starting to actually walk, they still are more prone to laying down and not holding their heads up much. Possibly because of underdeveloped muscles? They do bite and chew though, quite powerfully. Lol
I'll buy more Iams kitten then! Ive been so worried thanks so much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll be surprised at how quickly they will begin to grow and put on weight and get stronger now!

Do buy Purina kitten chow as well.

They will shortly need more space to run around and play and explore that is bigger than a crate.

What is your long-term plan for them?

Is there a local no-kill rescue that might vaccinate and spay/neuter them at 8 weeks, and find them homes?

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 : we are actually planning to keep them. Our situation will be resolved in the next few weeks so proper space for them wont be an issue for long. Thank goodness!

I'll also make sure to pick up the dry food as well. :) I feel so much better now you are all amazing. Blessings to you all.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We’d love you to stick around and let us know how they do long term. We have a forum where you can introduce yourself and your fur family New Cats on the Block. The more photos the better, we are all suckers for kittens.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please please keep us updated on how the babies are doing...and also THANK YOU, THANK YOU for being such wonderful people and saving those babies because it seems that those other people were standing around just listening to those poor babies cry and it breaks my heart. I am also glad your living situation will be resolved soon as well :heartshape::rock: And also if you feel like it and once you and the kitties are settled post some pictures of them of this thread please :salam:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 : we are actually planning to keep them. Our situation will be resolved in the next few weeks so proper space for them wont be an issue for long. Thank goodness!

I'll also make sure to pick up the dry food as well. :) I feel so much better now you are all amazing. Blessings to you all.
Just as an after thought...
find a low cost spay/neuter clinic, call them NOW, and get prices and potentially set up. During kitten season a lot of these places get overwhelmed with SN's and can get booked up months out, so I'd recommend calling and getting them, calculating a good age, and setting an appointment so you're guaranteed to get in =)
Most places will do shots, too, at a very low cost.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I second what 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 said about getting them fixed...I don't know how popular it is where you are but I know where I live the shelters actually start spaying and neutering when the kittens weigh over 2 pounds...so you could possibly get it done once they reach that point that way there's no mishaps and unwanted litters.

Crystaltears83

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@1 bruce1 Oh yes indeed already done and planned for when they are old enough. For spay/neuter/microchip/shots and even deworming its its about $35.00 each. Not out my reach at all. Mines just a walkin clinic so no appointments but thats ok we'll get these little girls taken care of for sure.

You guys are so welcome. I do belive those people were actively trying to kill the kittens and may have already done so to the mother. We've spent days on another property (walmart) that borders the place they were found and where all the strays are living. No momma cats appear to be among them. None of them have displayed any signs of anxiety or searching. or calling out like a momma cat would do. So we think shes gone. We've gotten a lot of horrible stories about these people from nearby businesses. Peopleand customers hear the babies crying and see us feeding them and come over to our vehicle and stare asking questions and telling stories. Some may not be true but after what we found I'm betting theres more truth there than not. Sad and infuriating.