Vet Discovered That Mango Is Experiencing Tachycardia, I’m Trying Not To Panic

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Mango to the vet today because he was acting like his ear was really bothering him and there was a dark splotch. The dark splotch turned out to be just skin pigment, but while he was there they noticed his ear was pale and I guess that tipped them off to check his heart and they discovered he was experiencing tachycardia and a higher rate of respiration . I had brought him to the vet twice in the past citing possible heart/respiratory distress because i was worried about him, both of those times they sent him home saying they didn’t notice any irregularities in the examination. I knew something was wrong but couldn’t prove it and it was a horrible feeling. I am just trying not to panic, Mango is an emotional support kitty to me, he brought me out of abusing hard drugs, and he guided me out of the darkness from diagnosed depression, adhd, severe anxiety and panic disorder, and treatment-resistant depression. I know I’m going to be strong for him no matter what but I’m just extremely worried. I asked them to please do every test they can that has the potential to give us more information on what’s causing the Tachycardia. They said a blood test and if I want, also a chest X-ray. I requested they do both, I’ll be getting the results tomorrow.
3771ED45-A129-46B6-AE7C-F90DF1EF95EE.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers! That the results from all test will be good. Try not to worry, i know you will anyway, but try not to imagine the worst. I wish you guys a peaceful night. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.
Thank you, it means a lot to hear someone say that

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, I have read through these comments like 5 times now for emotional support :)

We’re doing alright at the moment. I’m trying to keep everything calm and low key until I have the facts. I don’t want to get him too excited and raise his heart rate or something

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope the tests provide some clarity and help you to make informed decisions about Mango's health. I understand how frustrating it can be to try to explain to a vet that you absolutely know your cat needs more help when they don't believe you or can't find the cause of the problem.

Sending you good wishes.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got off the phone with the vet and they said the blood work is all good but his X-ray showed a mild heart enlargement. They said I can take him to get an electrocardiograph to see if everything’s ok or we can just go on with our lives. He’s already had an ecg in the past and everything was fine I’m so confused/shocked, trying to read everything I can. If I’m understanding this right, the prognosis is not good but I just started reading about it so I could be wrong. I don’t know if I need to find a new vet or if I have unrealistic expectations of how they should explain things and give options

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that is FABULOUS to hear!!

and by the way, he is simply outstandingly gorgeous!!