Very first high cat tower

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kimbo got her first high cat tree today! The one from goodwill was a smaller one. Today my parents and I went to petsmart and picked up the tallest cat tree we could find. She is in kitty heaven and refuses to come down. This one is about 6 foot but I think the next one will go from floor to ceiling. I'm going to let her get used to being up high and take her higher as she gets bigger.... I wonder if she's ever gonna come down! Lol

orangetux

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad she loves it. Tiki spends a lot of time on the very top of his but also on the floor, chair, etc. ;)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds great, high cat trees have to be one of the best bits about growing up as a young cat.  Mouse loves being up high but has a habit of falling off so his cat tree isn't that high but it is right up next to a window that is on the first floor of an apartment block with a great view so I hope he doesn't feel he is missing out too much.  I'd love to get one of those floor to ceiling ones some time, I think they look amazing.  Kimbo is a lucky kitty. 
 I'm sure she'll come down some time - maybe when she gets hungry?  Or when someone walks underneath her and she can pounce!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I noticed she kept climbing to the top of everything! I put up bookshelves in stair steps and put a bed at the very top. She liked it to rest but didn't care to play there. We put the tree in front of the bookcase steps and she loves it. She likes to run through the hall and up to the top! Lol And God help you if you go near it. She's a spoiled brat and won't even allow her toys to be on that thing! I think I've created a monster.

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds great, high cat trees have to be one of the best bits about growing up as a young cat.  Mouse loves being up high but has a habit of falling off so his cat tree isn't that high but it is right up next to a window that is on the first floor of an apartment block with a great view so I hope he doesn't feel he is missing out too much.  I'd love to get one of those floor to ceiling ones some time, I think they look amazing.  Kimbo is a lucky kitty. :D  I'm sure she'll come down some time - maybe when she gets hungry?  Or when someone walks underneath her and she can pounce!  :lol3:
Oh yes! She's very territorial about the thing too. I didnt know she would be so touchy about it. But she shows me another side of her personality everyday. I bet if she had some sticky paper to keep me away from it I'd be stuck. Lol kitty payback if you will.

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So glad she loves it. Tiki spends a lot of time on the very top of his but also on the floor, chair, etc. ;)
Not to get off the subject but Tiki is an awesome name! Very Hawaiian hakuna matata-esk.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes! She's very territorial about the thing too. I didnt know she would be so touchy about it. But she shows me another side of her personality everyday. I bet if she had some sticky paper to keep me away from it I'd be stuck. Lol kitty payback if you will.
Can't believe she won't even let her toys on LoL!   Guess who's boss in your house. 
    (Don't know why I'm laughing at that coz I'm sure not the boss in mine oops, sorry Mouse's house).

I have a lovely vision of you stuck to a wall in one of those velcro suits and Kimbo racing around your home from cat tree to high shelf and back again like she's on top of the world, tail straight up! 

(Apologies for putting wrong name in originally)!

Last edited:

orangetux

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I tried several names but Tiki is the one he just responded to and he does come to his name.

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can't believe she won't even let her toys on LoL!   Guess who's boss in your house. :lol3:     (Don't know why I'm laughing at that coz I'm sure not the boss in mine oops, sorry Mouse's house).

I have a lovely vision of you stuck to a wall in one of those velcro suits and Tiki racing around your home from cat tree to high shelf and back again like she's on top of the world, tail straight up! :D
Hahahahaha! When I typed the message I envisioned the Velcro jumpsuit as well. Glad I'm not the only one with an active imagination.

I can tell that Mouse is ruler of your domain. But a good ruler keeps its person happy. All hail Mouse! .... We just have to not get caught burning our Velcro suits. ;)

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I tried several names but Tiki is the one he just responded to and he does come to his name.
It's amazing how a cats personality differs much like humans from person to person. My childhood cat answered by name. Walked me to the school bus every morning and was there when the bus dropped me off to walk home with me. On the other hand Kimbo hears her name and will look at you like you can go straight to Hades in a gasoline tutu before she will answer to you. Lol she was a very mean kitten when I first got her which is how she got her name. No affection. No picking her up. No petting. I respected that that's just who she is and left her alone. But this last week she has been the most affectionate she's ever been. She's been climbing in my lap and sleeping. She even stopped sleeping in her bed and climbs in the bed with me. She gets right under my neck or on my chest and passes out...... Come to think of it, she may be trying to choke or suffocate me! Lol

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe Kimbo is showing her gratitude for her new trees? Has the novelty worn off any?
Actually she's up in the tree as we speak. She still won't let her toys be on there. I think she likes it because when I first got her she would jump up on my high counter. I put sticky paper on that counter to keep her from jumping on there so when I picked a tree I got one that sits even higher than than that. She can see straight into the kitchen and watch everything I'm doing from above. The highest point of every room belongs to her. Now instead of running through the house at night, I find her sitting at the top of that tower. Lol if she's happy I'm happy.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Actually she's up in the tree as we speak. She still won't let her toys be on there. I think she likes it because when I first got her she would jump up on my high counter. I put sticky paper on that counter to keep her from jumping on there so when I picked a tree I got one that sits even higher than than that. She can see straight into the kitchen and watch everything I'm doing from above. The highest point of every room belongs to her. Now instead of running through the house at night, I find her sitting at the top of that tower. Lol if she's happy I'm happy.
I think you have got her the purrfect addition to her home - the viewing platform from which she can make sure all is as she wishes and no intruders. I think @jcat is right in a way, I think she now feels safe and comfortable in this home of hers and now she can relax.  Now she can start to come in for some cuddles. 

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you have got her the purrfect addition to her home - the viewing platform from which she can make sure all is as she wishes and no intruders. I think @jcat is right in a way, I think she now feels safe and comfortable in this home of hers and now she can relax.  Now she can start to come in for some cuddles. :D
I truly hope that is the case! This place is pretty big for how tiny she was when she first took over. It's like every week I opened up a whole new door to a whole new world. Some places were completely off limits to her at first being that it wasn't child-proofed/cat friendly. But since her arrival, and my nephew walking and now running I had to kitty/nephew proof the off limit areas. She's been everywhere but under and on top of the kitchen cabinets which of course will never be okay...... The first places I set up for her were the outta the way places you would think a cat would enjoy. But she loves to be right in any thick of the family commotion. So I've been working to make her space amongst my space as well. If she wants to be with the family she has the option. If she's on her anti-social setting I have remedied that as well. She's settling in fine now. When I first got her from the shelter she was sick so it was stressful on the both of us. But after a round of antibiotics she was good to go. I'm thankful that she's settling in. Hopefully she will be content for the rest of her life with me. Here's hoping :)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
The spaces that you have created for her sound awesome!  Very creative.

"Lol if she's happy I'm happy"..  LOL, Spoken by a true cat person.

And you had to kitty and nephew proof places, that sounds like alot of work, too. 

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It. Was. So. Much. Work..... But I'm finally to that place where now all I have to do now is the pretty stuff. My gameplan is always function follwed by asthetic. We are fully functional now! ..... But now that that part is over I am looking into what cat food she will get once she grows outta kittenhood. I hadn't heard of trader joes til in found this site and one just opened about 2 minutes away. I'll have to check it out. If you don't mind me asking what do you feed yours?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
My senior cat 14yrs old eats a mixture of dry and wet food.  But I have also joined TCS to learn more about cat healthcare and nutrition. So I am thinking about transitioning him over to wet, from what I have read, but I don't know all that much in the nutrition department.  I am sure you will get more info on the Cat Nutrition Forum.  That's where I have to go to as well.  I remember that with kittens they need more calories than adult cats.

I am up in canada, so we do not have any Trader Joe's, I don't think.   This site is huge, so I think we will both learn alot. 

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with you there. I went ahead and actually made a thread so I can get a direct answer. I do appreciate you responding though. 14 years?! That's awesome. I don't want to be one of those ppl who dials a random number on accident and then ends up holding a 30 minute conversation, but I'm just curious did you have yours the full 14 years?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
No, and yes.  My 14 yr old Spotty, belonged to my neighbour for the first two years of his life, but I had a grey cat at that time, Braxton, who was like his best friend.  They were indoor-outdoor cats at the time, and used to play for hours in Spotty's backyard.  Spotty was scared of my dog then, and would never or hardly ever venture into our yard to play.  Actually, because the neighbour had gotten Spotty first, I went out and got Braxton two weeks after.  It was sort of like you see this kitten, hold this kitten, and then you got to get your own.

After two years, the neighbour asked me to cat sit while they were on vacation for two months, and my sister and father kind of fell in love with him.  The rest is history, but we ended up losing Braxton at age six, he and Spotty disappeared then we got Spotty back.   At age nine, Spotty became exclusively indoor and I really think this is way more stress free on us owners.

So now that I made this story way to long, and you "dialed the wrong number, for a 30min conversation"....lol...I never heard that one before.

Tell me how you got your Kimbo?