Vegan Cat Food Hunt

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As mentioned, cats are Obligate Carnivores.

This is taken from :- What Does it Mean the Cat is an Obligate Carnivore?

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
There was an episode of Animal Cops where they did an animal welfare check on a home where the woman decided to make her cats vegetarians. The cats were literally starving to death, you could see their bones clearly, even though their bowls were constantly full of grains. They ate and ate and couldn't get any nutrients at all out of their food.

Cats are carnivores, all they can digest is meat. They just can't get the nutrition they need from non-meat stuff. To force your cat to starve amidst plenty.....I really hope this is a troll thread and that someone who supposedly cares so much about animals to stop eating them would not make the one animal they love the most to suffer slow starvation.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you really want to go 110% vegan, I suggest finding a home for the cat and get yourself a hamster or a strict veggie eating pet. As others said above, your cat will not thrive well on a vegan diet and it's not fair for him.
Even hamsters are omnivorous and do well eating crickets, mealworms, etc. Consider, instead, a seed-eating bird, or maybe a millipede.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is trolls starting these threads trying to make vegans look bad. I think these days people know that cats cannot survive on vegan diets. I was vegan for 12 years and I admit I was curious when I was in a pet store and saw some vegan food for cats. I was tempted to try some but common sense took over and I brought organic cat food with meat instead. It did bother me to feed my cats meat but I had the cats before I went vegan and I was not going to give them away.

Ellen

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope you're right, muffy. These types of threads always really upset me.

sidhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've seen this often enough where I don't think it's trolling. It's people wanting to do the right thing, but are very, very misinformed. Or mislead by websites trying to sell their own vegan pet food products/recipes.

Not everyone does research on their pets (in my experience, I'd say very few people do research on their pets). So if they are ignorant about their pet's biology, it would be easy to believe people when they say that vegan diets can be healthy, as long as the food they're buying says that it contains all the nutrients their pet needs.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vegan diets are bad for cats. Cats are obligate carnivores and will die without meat. Its cruel to a cat to force them on a diet that is not species appropriate. You can either buy meat for your cat, but make sure that you buy free range meat with as little animal cruelty as possible, or buy no meat at all by rehoming your cat (and only getting pets that are also vegan in the future).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be trolling, but more likely an honest query from a new vegan. When love of animals is the motivation to become vegan, it makes sense to want to eliminate all animal products from your personal use.

As I posted upthread, when I became vegetarian I struggled with the idea of feeding meat to a cat. I knew I'd have to feed it meat, but also wanted to give a shelter cat a home, and eventually I adopted Ruby.

If feeding a cat vegan was doable, I'd go for it, but that still wouldn't make Ruby vegan. She'd still hunt and eat (yuck) the spiders and other insects she finds in the furnace room.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
As I posted upthread, when I became vegetarian I struggled with the idea of feeding meat to a cat.
If you could explain that, I would like to hear why. I mean, denying meat to a house cat is pretty much the same as watching nature documentaries and saying "The gazelle got away, so the lioness and her cubs will starve to death! Hooray for slow death by starvation!!!" I mean, there's predator animals and there's prey animals, it's a balanced ecosystem, and hoping the predator animals starve is just cruelty to those animals. Plus the balanced ecosystem means that if the predator animals die, the prey animals will populate out of control and then they'd slowly starve to death too. So how can there be any ethical struggling over letting animals be animals and eat according to their needs?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@aroueta I'm not a vegetarian, but I can explain the vegetarian standpoint. We humans don't hunt cows, sheep, pigs and chickens...we raise the majority of them on factory farms for food. If 90% of humans went vegetarian, factory farming would cease to exist (there would still not be enough small grass-fed/free-range niche farmers to supply meat to the 10%) and we would have to hunt for meat if we wanted meat (or move out of the city and start a farm). Our cats would also not be contributing to the "plight" of livestock animals. Cats would go back to catching mice, crickets, and the occasional bird... which I doubt vegetarians have as much of a problem with that natural predator/prey scenario.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You cannot feed cats a vegan diet. Cats are obligate carnivores. If you feed them a vegetarian or vegan diet, your cat will become severely sick and die. That is the epitome of animal cruelty right there. If you cannot bring yourself to feed your cat what it needs, you need to surrender him or her to someone who can ASAP.

EDIT: And this person who should have a cat is probably feeding her cat vegan food and wondering why he is severely sick right now. God, I hate humans.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you could explain that, I would like to hear why. I mean, denying meat to a house cat is pretty much the same as watching nature documentaries and saying "The gazelle got away, so the lioness and her cubs will starve to death! Hooray for slow death by starvation!!!" I mean, there's predator animals and there's prey animals, it's a balanced ecosystem, and hoping the predator animals starve is just cruelty to those animals. Plus the balanced ecosystem means that if the predator animals die, the prey animals will populate out of control and then they'd slowly starve to death too. So how can there be any ethical struggling over letting animals be animals and eat according to their needs?
I never considered denying meat to a house cat. I knew a cat absolutely needed meat, so I had to decide which I felt more strongly about - a) no meat in my home or b) adopting a homeless feline companion. But I do understand why the original poster was asking about vegan cat food.

As for nature, I'll admit I hate when prey is caught. Yes, the predator could have a family to feed, but so might the prey. But I don't struggle ethically about letting animals be animals, I just hate that it's the way it has to be.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some people are actually feeding their animals vegan diets. I've seen vegan canned foods for dogs and cats in stores, more so in France maybe. I'm a veggie and used to be a vegan for a little while before switching back to (French!) cheese, but I'm highly skeptical of these diets. It's very far from our situation--beans and tofu and grains can't fulfill cats' protein needs, I believe.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are dozens of sites just like THIS ONE.

It's incredibly upsetting and rises to the level of animal cruelty in my book.
I know, it's disgusting. I'm going to sound silly, but I naively thought there would be some kind of tofu or whatever to replace the meat?! It's just veggies and grain!! It's awful, my stomach turned just reading the labels

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are dozens of sites just like THIS ONE.

It's incredibly upsetting and rises to the level of animal cruelty in my book.
That site actually says that while vegan is possible they no longer recommend it. Too many people doing it wrong and their cats getting sick.

But yes, there are hundreds of sites saying cats thrive as vegans. Just like there are hundreds of sites claiming to have the perfect easy weight loss solution, a natural way to cure cancer, a proven method to earn millions from the comfort of your home, and that by simply providing your name, address, ss, and first born child you could get a few thousand dollars tax free. In this digital age people need to cross reference and verify information not just believe it because someone said it.