Uti Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Metacam is pain relief and anti inflammatory. I can only think that the vet thinks there is inflamation that would cause pain. I am doubtful it will cure him but it might help until my usual vet comes back. He is quite active this evening and is eating like a little piglet.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Metacam is pain relief and anti-inflammatory. I can only think that the vet thinks there is inflammation that would cause pain. I am doubtful it will cure him but it might help until my usual vet comes back. He is quite active this evening and is eating like a little piglet.
So the vet did prescribe metaCAM not MetaCALM?

That tricky L

Edit: So if it was MetaCAM he likely prescribed it for exactly that - pain and inflammation. They (my vets) did something similar at the start of Charlie's issue as it was pretty bad and the vet was worried he was in pain and of course the pain will cause our beasties more stress.

Less pain = less stress.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry everyone, my aim is to confuse and I have done a good job. It was Metacam no L. He just used the litter box and produced twice as much pee as he has been the last 3 days. At least we are moving in the right direction. Maybe I can sleep tonight!!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL no worries. I'm amused :-)

And here you didn't even know you had a superpower!

It's amazing how one little extra letter changing the meaning of all things!

PEEEEEE YAY!!! Good job Buzz!

Yes, do rest - you both have been through enough.

Do keep us up to-to-date on how you both are. XOXOXOXO

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday Buzz peed a larger quantity and less often which is good but one question....he had diarrhoea last night. A normal poop in the morning, an hour later just a small amount of soft poop then 12 hours later he pooped again and mostly diarrhoea. Do I phone the vet to ask if I should continue giving him Metacam ( with no L) or is this to be expected. Thanks.

Last edited:

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I vouch for uromaxx, I give Oliver daily 1ml orally onto his tongue..He actually likes it...Dont forget to refrigerate it and dont shoot it down his throat, I give .5 ml twice a day... You can double up the dose to get him healed faster...

Maybe 1ml morning and another 1ml at night something like that, its definetly Oliver approved taste wise...

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I vouch for uromaxx, I give Oliver daily 1ml orally onto his tongue..He actually likes it...Dont forget to refrigerate it and dont shoot it down his throat, I give .5 ml twice a day... You can double up the dose to get him healed faster...

Maybe 1ml morning and another 1ml at night something like that, its definetly Oliver approved taste wise...
Thanks. I have ordered it but it will not arrive until mid June. I'm not sure where it is coming from but I suspect US and I live on UK.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday Buzz peed a larger quantity and less often which is good but one question....he had diarrhoea last night. A normal poop in the morning, an hour later just a small amount of soft poop then 12 hours later he pooped again and mostly diarrhoea. Do I phone the vet to ask if I should continue giving him Metacam ( with no L) or is this to be expected. Thanks.
Yeah, give the vet a call. Might be from the Metacam -lol with no L - or might be that he was a bit stressed out and his tummy is flopping. Worth the call though. You don't need a dehydrated kitty on top of all this. Yikes.

Thanks. I have ordered it but it will not arrive until mid June. I'm not sure where it is coming from but I suspect US and I live on UK.
Two things about UroMAXX. (Besides that I think it's great and glad you ordered it)

1. Start at a smaller dosage for a few days. Some kitties, not many and Charlie didn't have this issue, but some folks said kitty had some lose stool at first. So you can either start with a lower dosage just-in-case - or just watch.

2. It may, and probably will, make Buzz pee more. One of the things it's designed to do is flush things out of the system. Flushing = more pee.

They are in the US. I've call customer service - awesome guy that has the NY state mob accent. He was super nice.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NY state mob accent..I love it. Thanks for doing that and advice. He has only peed twice this morning and no diarrhoea since last night so I will hold off the phone call. I would rather speak to my usual vet when he comes back on Monday. The one I saw was lovely but strange.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update on UTI. Buzz has been fine for 5 weeks but on wednesday started using the litter box often and producing little. Back to the vets. My vet was off so had to see a new one. He looked like Grizzly Adams, very gentle but a big man with a long bushy beard. He gave an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory injection and said if he was not better by today to take him back. Back we went today, he has Metacam to help the inflamation over the weekend and is going in on Monday for xrays, scan and urine analysis. Why is nothing ever simple when it comes to cats.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buzz had his scan today and it showed blood in his urine and 'debris' in his bladder. The vet said it wasn't stones but didnt say if it was crystals, just daid debris. A urine sample has been sent for analysis and once its back, hopefully by the end of the week, she will have more of an idea about what prescription food he is to go on. Unfortunately as he has an allergy to chicken it limits my choice.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been giving my girl a 1/2 capsule of slippery elm mixed into some gerber turkey baby food. I am also mixing in 1/4 tsp d mannose powder. My vet recommended Cosequin sprinkle capsules to try. She said those would be lifetime if kitty has this inflammation that makes them feel like they have a uti but don’t.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on UTI. Buzz has been fine for 5 weeks but on wednesday started using the litter box often and producing little. Back to the vets. My vet was off so had to see a new one. He looked like Grizzly Adams, very gentle but a big man with a long bushy beard. He gave an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory injection and said if he was not better by today to take him back. Back we went today, he has Metacam to help the inflamation over the weekend and is going in on Monday for xrays, scan and urine analysis. Why is nothing ever simple when it comes to cats.
So sorry for the late reply. Spotty internet at home right now.

Producing little - you were good to take him to the vet.

Yep, nothing is simple when it comes to kitties sadly.

Buzz had his scan today and it showed blood in his urine and 'debris' in his bladder. The vet said it wasn't stones but didnt say if it was crystals, just daid debris. A urine sample has been sent for analysis and once its back, hopefully by the end of the week, she will have more of an idea about what prescription food he is to go on. Unfortunately as he has an allergy to chicken it limits my choice.
That was exactly Charlie. E-coli was the culprit. The did urine sensitivity tests to see what anti-biotic would fix the strain he had. The debris they thought could be bladder sludge, that was one of the many reasons we gave him the uroMAXX. Part of what the UroMAXX does is breaks up the slime and sludge so that antibiotics can get where they need to go.

Charlies Crystals came later due to the stress of the car rides and testing at the vets.

Charlie also has a chicken allergy. Along with his wet food, he was prescribed
"Feline Multifunction Urinary + Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Cat Food" that seems to be a winner. Even though he is a picky eater he took to it right away. I hate the food as it's not a real protein for kitty, it's soy, but it helps him so I've sucked up my opinion as it's better he's helped.

How is Buzz feeling today - and how are you holding up?

XOXOOX

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buzz is fine, me not so much. I think I will sit next to the Feliway plug in for a couple of hours. I will ask my vet about the food above, do you feed Charlie wet at all and if so, what type.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*hugs you hard* It's very stressful. Hang in there.

Charlie is mostly on wet. I'm down sadly to one food type as he's a picky eater. It's a sensitive tummy / LID duck and I sprinkle a bit of a treat on top of it as he won't touch it otherwise. Finiky little man he is.

I understand about the fish but as my Vet said to me - if there is a pre-disposition for crystals etc - it's not going to matter about the fish too much.

Charlies treats are pure dried salmon. He's not allowed Chicken or Turkey. Such a pain as everything has chicken in it. Makes me nuts! So I feel your pain.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buzz update. He has been on RC Urinary SO wet only for 6 weeks now plus Nutracys and had his third scan yesterday. My vet has just told me that there is a significant ( I love that word) improvement in his bladder. As long as he seems ok he doesnt have to have another scan for a few months. Thanks everyone for your advice.