Uti Advice

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 3 year old neutered boy had a uti where he was making frequent visits to the litterbox and not producing any pee. Swift visit to the vet, antibiotics etc and it cleared up on a day. Fast forward 5 weeks and he is peeing small amounts many times a day for the past 3 days. I have tried cider vinegar but it hasnt helped. I have a vet appointment tomorrow but I am looking for treatment that I could give at home to save him the stress of vet visits. Anyone have any experience and success stories with this issue?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's important to get him to the vet for a needle collection UA to rule out crystals and to see if there's any infection. Make sure he's getting enough wet food and add a bit of water to help increase water intake. You can try corn silk and D-Mannose for infection. I sent you a message with more info on that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are a veteran here, so I am sure I am posing an already obvious question to you - did the vet do a urine culture to test for antibiotic/bacterial sensitivities?

Feeby had a UTI that she got antibiotics for, it appeared it had cleared up the UTI, but it didn't get rid of it entirely. The vet identified a whole different bacteria after the urine culture and she was put on an entirely different antibiotic, which did work. So, far - knock on wood - no new UTI!! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand the stressful visits to the vet but for a UTI it's a must.:paperbag:

Please don't take this question wrong... but... it cleared up in a day, are you sure? I've not heard of that before but I'm also no vet. Maybe the symptoms cleared but it was still there?

I really love this stuff and I use it for my boy who just went through a really bad infection + crystals.

Some far better pricing: Amazon.com: Buying Choices: UroMAXX Urinary Tract, Kidney & Bladder Formula for Cats and Dogs, 6 oz Bottle

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not seeing my usual vet tomorrow who I trust completely as he is on holiday and I dont want to wait. I will ask about a urine culture but am uncomfortable about seeing someone I have had no experience with. I intend speaking to my usual vet when he comes back. Thanks for all the advice, I will update you tomorrow after the visit .
F FeralHearts maybe it hadn't cleared, you could be right but last time he wasnt passing anything and now he passes small amounts (9 times in 13 hours today).

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not seeing my usual vet tomorrow who I trust completely as he is on holiday and I dont want to wait. I will ask about a urine culture but am uncomfortable about seeing someone I have had no experience with.
Completely understand the trust thing. XOXOXO

F FeralHearts maybe it hadn't cleared, you could be right but last time he wasnt passing anything and now he passes small amounts (9 times in 13 hours today).
I really hate UTI's the more I read and learn about them, the more I'm seeing that they present themselves differently for each cat and I swear each incident. Charlie had no symptoms save for attacking one sole person like he was rabid.

Do look into the uroMAXX. It did really help Charlie. One bottle will last a cat nearly 4 months too so not as expensive as it first appears (If there is only one kitty) and I really think it made a big difference.

As stephanietx stephanietx suggested - the D-Mannose. I've not tried it as maintenance for his UTI but I have been reading good things about it here.

Yes please, let us know how you both are. Fingers crossed big time. :heartshape::vibes::vibes::vibes:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
V verna davies , I know you are worried about your kitty, I was too as my boy had UTI end December last year and it was an ordeal for both of us.

He went to the litter box every 2 minutes or so and did around 50 trips to the litter box in the morning when he first got it, peeing marble size clumps and crying while peeing and of course there's blood present in the urine.

I took his urine sample and sent it for test and came back positive that he has UTI, which actually before the urine test to check for crystals, it was a clear sign that he already has UTI.

After vet's visit and medications, he came around after a week or so. My boy is on wet food all along and I think it was due to stress he got UTI.

Try getting your kitty to drink more water and add water to his wet food so that he can be more hydrated.

Hope your boy get well soon :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks tabbytom tabbytom . There's no blood and it would be impossible for me to get a urine sample I would think, that is something the vet will have to do. He eats mostly wet food in gravy and I see him drink water often but have bought two fountains and non of my cats will drink from them. I will see what this vet says this evening and maybe have a chat with the vet I like and trust when he comes back from holiday.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There's no blood and it would be impossible for me to get a urine sample I would think,
Sometimes when blood is presence it does not means as in red blood. It could be traces and faint tint in urine color. It's noticeable in the litter as it is darker than usual.

I use a disposable spoon and place it under his bum when my boy pees to collect the urine sample and transferred it to the container the vet passed me to submit for testing.

Your boy may not get UTI because of foo but may e from stress just like what my boy experience. You can think about it and rule out what is causing the stress.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could well be stress, he is a very nervy boy and I dont know why. My home is very quiet, the area is too. He doesnt go out of the garden and my other two cats are good with him yet any sudden movements or unexpected noise and he will run and hide.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are back from the vet
Well it was a strange visit. He examined Buzz, no blockage. He then gave me a lesson on natural drugs, told me that Willow contains aspirin, recommended a book, Cat Behaviour by Peter Neville and gave me Metacalm. I am a little surprised as I expected an antibiotic if the infection hasnt cleared up. If this doesn't work I am going to speak to my vet on Monday when he's back from holiday and have a urine analysis done.
Anyone heared of Metacalm being given for uti?
He did say that Uromaxx would be good to give Buzz so I am going to order a bottle...and the book

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guess is your 'sub' vet is leaning toward cystitis - when related to unknown causes, is usually assumed to be worsened by stress. Some cats are naturally more stressed out than others, so maybe he is thinking Buzz is too?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buzz is a very nervous cat although I can't understand why. This is a very quiet house in a quiet area. He doesnt go out of the garden and gets on with my other 2 cats . I might look into a calming product too.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are back from the vet
Well it was a strange visit. He examined Buzz, no blockage. He then gave me a lesson on natural drugs, told me that Willow contains aspirin, recommended a book, Cat Behaviour by Peter Neville and gave me Metacalm. I am a little surprised as I expected an antibiotic if the infection hasnt cleared up. If this doesn't work I am going to speak to my vet on Monday when he's back from holiday and have a urine analysis done.
Anyone heared of Metacalm being given for uti?
He did say that Uromaxx would be good to give Buzz so I am going to order a bottle...and the book
XOXOXO Welcome back!

I'm tilting my head sideways with confusion. Did he not offer to do a urine analysis, or think maybe not needed?

Aspirin, as we know it, is a chemically synthesized version of Willow bark or rather salicylic acid - which is the main ingredient in Asprin and is found in a few plants but the most known is willow bark. Now, why on earth did he mention that? Is baby boy in obvious pain? (Ignore this as that's a stupid question to ask you.)

Does he think kitty is suffering from Stress urine issues?

Glad he approved of the UroMAXX. I do really think it helped mister Charlie.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He didnt offer a urine analysis but I mentioned it. My vet is back Monday so I am going to chat with him. He is not a great lover of pain relief unless it is absolutely necessary. Buzz shows no sign of pain and distress and I told him this. The vet was just a talker, he told me he was born in Australia and collected herbs for his pets.

I think it is stress related too as Buzz is a jumpy cat but I will have to think of ways to help him. I will see how it goes the next couple of days but at the moment he hasnt stopped nagging for food since we came home so there's nothing wrong with his appetite.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I now fully understand why you don't trust other vets.

Glad he's not in pain. Herbs are great but sometimes they simply don't do the job as needed.

Buzz goes outside you said. This will sound weird - but could he be spooked by the wind? One of mine is seriously spooked by wind and I think it's because she can't hear properly through it and is a hyper-aware cat.

PS - Yay on hungry!

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Metacam is, I thought, an NSAID. I'm surprised it would be prescribed for a UTI but then again, I'm not a vet.
That is true about Metacam - but, there is also a calming product called Metacalm. That lousy 'L' being added - I actually had to go back and make sure I hadn't mis-read it myself!!! :dizzy:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is true about Metacam - but, there is also a calming product called Metacalm. That lousy 'L' being added - I actually had to go back and make sure I hadn't mis-read it myself!!! :dizzy:
Me too and I was trying to sort out why he would prescribe Metacam for a UTI in Buzz's case ---- and I re-read and thought huh Metacalm. Doh! Then I had to go look up what that was. lol