Urgent Multi-cat Inbreeding Situation For Years

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I wanted to encourage you to work with a good rescue to rehome the majority of these cats and to get them neutered/spayed. It does sound like that were be in their best interests, and would enable the remaining cat or cats to be a source of joy instead of stress.

There is a rescue in my area (Eugene, Oregon) that takes hard to place cats and puts them in foster homes (and under the right circumstances in Pet Smart). You may be able to find something like that for your kitties.

When you say the kittens are inbred, does that mean they they have minor health issues, but might make good pets? If so, they might be easy to place in homes. If not, its possible that the rescue might be able to help you sort out which ones have minor health issues and which ones have major ones. I would also think that friendly young cats would be fairly easy to place.

What does the lease on your parents apartment say about pets? If not allowed more than one or two, or if the apartment is in bad shape, I can imagine a landlord doing an eviction. Also, if someone were to complain about the cats, and animal control were to conduct an investigation, I could see them saying that your parents had no choice but to give up some of the cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting involved with helping these sweet little ones will lift your depression. Doing nothing is going to bring on new stressors. Your parents have let things get way out of hand. One or two cats spayed and none of this would have happened in the beginning. If they can't provide adequate care for the ones they have, they should make sure there are no more. When you take in an animal you must be able to care for it, and they have let the situation get way out of hand. It is up to you now to take control. New York should have plenty of no cost, low cost shelters. Please look into this and get the situation under control. As you should know by now, doing nothing does not help at all, it only adds to it. At least get everyone spayed and neutered. Then go from there. it takes a desire and a first step, we'll help all we can, we're here for support, bless you for reaching out!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just think about the first step. And do that. Calling around about TNR programs and making an appointment. Then take care of the first cat. One cat at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. We are here for moral support, so stay in touch.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ASPCA runs a mobile low cost spay / neuter clinic that goes around to the NYC boroughs. See this for more info and a calendar of where the mobile clinic will be in Manhattan: ASPCA Mobile Spay/Neuter Clinic

These have other info for low cost spay / neuter clinics:

Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinics
Free & Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Programs & Clinics
The Humane Society Of New York

A 1 bedroom NYC apartment is pretty small. Having 14 cats must be difficult and most likely against the lease. Unless by "apartment" you mean a purchased condo. I'm always confused when New Yorkers refer to both rentable units and purchased units as "apartments" :confused2: Even condos and co-ops and the like have rules on pets and 14 is definitely way too many.

Intact cats often spray urine and yowl which may drive the neighbors nuts which can lead to complains to the landlord or condo board and your parents may be forced to either get rid of the cats or move out.

Brooklyn has a no-kill shelter: BARC Shelter

Here are more in the NYC area: No-Kill Cat Shelters and Rescues in NYC

You can try posting on Craigslist and the like to find homes for the cats but be aware that some people will respond just to get a free cat for sadistic reasons. Check references thoroughly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So all of the 5 newborn kittens passed one by one. Their eyes were already open that point and some were grasping the ability to walk on their front legs. The last one that I frantically tried to help survive died on the 12th. The mother had abandoned all of them and stopped feeding them. I went out to get milk formula and tried to create a bottle but the kitten just wasn't taking it. I tried to get another mother cat to nurse the last two, and she would, but then get up quickly if I weren't sitting next to her. At one point during nursing them I swore it looked like she had tears in her eyes and I can't help but think that could have put her at risk maybe? I hope the kittens weren't sick...

This afternoon, about an hour ago, I walked into my living room to see one of my six month old boys laying dead on his back with his head up and mouth open. He was completely okay yesterday, and I don't know if it was parvo, but I'm disturbed and extremely heartbroken. He was very clingy and loveable and almost demanded attention. Sometimes he would leap at me if I were nearby (which I've never seen cats do). Whenever you picked him up he was instantly purring. He was also the thinnest and I'm really hoping hunger wasn't what caused this. He always cried by my door for food, really, all of them are hungry still and one box a day obviously isn't going to help. I reached out to a service that was willing to give me food a few weeks ago, but at the time we did not have money for travel and were barely eating ourselves. I'm going to recontact them today in hopes that this will go through because I feel like this is my fault. I don't know what to do about the body. My stepdad but him in a box with plastic bags over it. I want to bury him but im sure pet cemeteries cost. And that it's illegal to do such in a park.

When I asked about eviction it was because we ARE at risk for eviction financially; we're backed up on rent. I feel like im going insane here and never want to use the bathroom or go to the kitchen because of the conditions. The cats aren't even at fault. We now have a bug problem that has been brewing for a while and it got out of control. I always just stay in my room and haven't really left the apartment since May.

Idk if the TNR class will workout. There's too many of them and no way to separate them in order to heal for 10+ days without getting into a fight or ripping their incisions. I'm also sure they'd just get them infected because of the litterbox situation. The only way i could see it helping them is providing them a better chance to be adopted by loving families, i just don't know how we can handle that because 1) i cant afford to have cats in my room as they generally pee everywhere 2) litter + multiple litter boxes = $$$ & will also bring the bugs to my room. Unless it's possible to stay somewhere else for the healing process or to keep them in the cages at home. I'm just afraid that if that happens their habitual screaming for food whenever someone walks in and out the doors of the home or goes to the kitchen will cause them to go insane in the cages.

I tried BARC shelter and they are too full, but gave me references. The thing is I've already checked out majority of these no-kill shelters. The yelp reviews for most of them are horrendous in that the conditions don't seem any good. I don't want any of my animals to be cramped into cages and mistreated. At least here they have people who love them and I'm going to try my absolute best to get this food for them (I've been calling food pantries too, but the one that had previously called me seems like the only good bet). I don't know what else to say.... time seems limited. I'm going to also see if I can get any of them listed for adoption online (though of course that may not be possible without TNR and getting them fixed)

Does anyone know if AMA Animal Rescue is legitimate???

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your losses (Kittens and your six months old). I did have a couple of thoughts. Is there someone (grandparents, aunt, cousin, close friend) that might be able to help you talk with your parents? I'm wondering if they might be more receptive to concerns about the situation if someone else were to talk with them.

Are you able to get out and tour some of the shelters you identified, and maybe talk to representatives? That might help give you a better idea if they would or woudn't be a good place for your kitties. I do think a shelter with plenty of food and available vet care would be a kinder option for them than letting them go without food or live in unhealthy conditions (you and your parents deserve better too).

Also, I wasn't clear from what you described how your father dealt with disposing of your dead cat. For sanitary reasons, and if burial isn't an option (which living in an apartment, it might not be), I'm thinking that you may need to contact a vets office or a city animal services rep that can help arrange for a proper disposal?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DO NOT worry about keeping the cats separated for 10 days after spay/neuter!!! It absolutely MUST be done, and any risk from not being able to give them individual attention will be offset by the health benefits of having it done. If they aren't spayed/neutered, you're just going to end up with more kittens that either die like this last litter, or survive and have more kittens, and so on forever. You need to break the cycle and put and end to the reproduction. Feral cats are released as soon as they recover from the anesthetic, and almost all of them do fine. It just needs to be done, and soon.

I suspect the kittens died from results of inbreeding. Including the 6-month-old. If it had been parvo, he would have been sick for several days before succumbing. If it was sudden, it was probably his heart. Inbreeding can cause heart defects. But, if the mama cat wasn't getting enough to eat, that would affect her milk production and the baby kittens may have starved :/.

But also, look, if the cats are starving it may be kinder to have them put to sleep. If that's what happens, try not to feel too bad about it. If they're suffering, it's kinder that way. I hope you can find a better solution for them, but if you get evicted they'll ALL go to a kill shelter, so if you have to take some of them to a kill shelter to avoid eviction, that's just what has to happen.

Call Animal Control to dispose of the body. If you're worried they'll be suspicious, tell them you found it in the street. But you absolutely must get it out of the apartment immediately. Dead bodies breed disease, it needs to be disposed of before that.

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mokocchi Mokocchi

How is it going?
I'm very late to this, but long story short we have two new kittens that seem healthy.

My mother got in contact with a woman from the ASPCA that is helping her. We have given up one cat so far. I'm scared to dearh now because I hear that the ASPCA kills animals. It would break my heart if they've already put him down. He's a lovable animal. I feel that since all of them are inbred, they'll just put them all down. I cant stop my mom from taking them... But I just dont trust it. Should I be concerned / still look for other alternatives? We're scheduled to take two more there on Friday.

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mistake, not the ASPCA, Animal Care Centers of NYC... Someone said they're a kill shelter.... I wonder if thats why theyre taking them for free...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even the best shelters cannot save them all. Some will euthanize if the pet is or becomes ill, is very aggressive or has some major health or birth defect. Typically it is in the best interest of the facility as they cannot always provide the best quality care for these animals. But also it may be in the best interest of the pet in this situation as they are difficult to rehabilitate, whether they just don't have the means to do it with volunteers or maybe it is a financial concern.

You want to make sure they aren't simply euthanizing all pets, even healthy ones, after a certain number of days. As in their "time is up". As many county pounds do this. Call and ask, it wouldn't hurt. Also check their website for your surrendered pet to see if it is available. But just because it doesn't show up doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, as a volunteer or employee may have adopted it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This shelter sounds like they take great care in accepting rescues and in rehoming. I don't think you need to worry that they automatically euthanize pets.

You are doing the right thing and taking care of yourself and the cats. Can this rescue also help you to spay and neuter cats that are to remain in your care?

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm no longer taking my animals to this place. My mom wants to, but I don't trust them. They took my cats off the website in less than a few days and claimed they've gone to a rescue. Yet, they said they cant tell me which rescue because it's "confidential"... I pray for my cats every night really feeling that they may be dead and its my fault. They even have a Facebook page where they put that in some cases if they dint have space they will euthanize animals. That page is an "at risk for euthanasia" page (ACC of NY) with pictures of cute animals they're probably getting rid of without any health problems..

I'm 100% sure youngest cat (the third cat we gave in) is healthy and he was very fluffy... I feel terrible. We now have in total (aside from the eldest cat that is currently dying suddenly from an abrupt health complication) 8 adult cats (7girls, 1 boy), 2 male teens that need to be neutered ASAP or given away (not to a shelter because they deserve better) and 5 kittens (4 girls, 1 boy)...... Those two males that we gave to the shelter really made sure to leave their mark before they left.

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Honestly im going crazy because i feel like I'm just surrounded by death, guilt, and false organizations that claim to love and care about animals but keep them in terrible conditions.. At least here theyre with us who love them and their siblings/family members. I wish I could just as unrealistic as it sounds have my own shelther for animals and hire good people to work alongside me and help them all. With bigger cages and living spaces and proper care. And NO euthanasia unless 100% necessary because theyre in pain, dying or have something uncurable.

And all of these vet practices that just want to gauge people for money with insane bills.

Even the "low-cost" ones

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you can trust them. Their website says:
"We strive to find loving homes for homeless and abandoned cats, dogs, and rabbits, both by adopting animals directly to the public and by partnering with more than 200 dedicated animal placement organizations (our New Hope partners). Our field services division responds to calls from the public to help keep NYC communities safe and rescue animals in need, and we have facilities in all five boroughs."

So, it sounds like your cats were taken in by one of their partners, and that ACC is the hub.

You are clearly feeling a lot of anxiety. If you could find a therapist or a counselor to talk to, that might be helpful. If not, maybe your mom could talk to you about why she trusts this shelter. You can't take care of all the cats you have now, and they need your help.

Why is your eldest cat dying? Has she seen a vet?

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounded like the oldest cat had metastasized cancer, there was another thread in the health section about her.

Neutering the three remaining males is the cheapest and most important thing to do. It's cheaper and an easier surgery with the least recovery time. Males are usually the ones who fight, scream and spray and smell worst in order to mate.
If you can separate the three males and find a low cost or free place to neuter them, that would solve having more cats at least.
And keep giving away more since ten to fifteen cats in an apartment is a lot to feed and care for.
Cats who are spayed before going into heat three times don't get the awful mammary cancer that killed your oldest cat and my mom's cat. It's one of the few cancers that's entirely preventable.
Having cats means only having as many cats that you can afford to feed enough and take to the vet for preventable care and checkups and treat when they get sick. And spay and neuter to prevent kittens. You can get pet insurance which helps pay for a lot but it's a monthly cost.
I know you love all the cats very much and love the kittens, but kittens who are inbred aren't healthy and don't have a good chance of surviving. They have more health problems and more vet bills if they do survive. They suffer while they're alive because they're not born right from inbreeding.
Please keep working with a shelter or rescue.