Urgent Multi-cat Inbreeding Situation For Years

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ever since I was about 6-7 years old (I'm turning 20 this month) I've had cats. It started with one male cat named that my stepfather got from his old neighbor since my mother wanted a cat to help with the minor mice problem we had. Because he wasn't as small as she wanted, my mother wanted another smaller cat. The neighbor had informed my stepfather that this other cat was also male. We assumed this until the cats started to mate and the smaller cat eventually became pregnant. From there, we had kittens. We gave a few away. But then the two cats had more, and eventually those kittens grew up and had kittens with each other, and it got out of hand. My parents never took them to get spayed or neutered nor had the money to take them to the ASPCA shelter. So they kind of just sat back, got attached to the cats, and let the situation grow. Many of our cats have died from Parvo and as I child I would cry because it was often the cats I grew close to. With the inbreeding, some kittens wouldn't make it past a few days of birth. The older generations at this point have been given away or passed away. Currently we only have 8 adult cats (5 female, 3 male) and 6 kittens (3 female, 3 male). Out of our adult cats three are more 7 years old, and the rest are still young (3-4 years). Out of our kittens, 4 were born in September (going be be 6 months old) and 2 were born in December (going to be 3 months old). Now that I'm older I've been searching for no-kill shelters in our area, but I haven't had much luck. I'm afraid that with the nature of the inbreeding, shelters will only put them to sleep. They seem to be healthy, but I'm always worried that could change any moment so I want to live better.

My situation is so bad that I live in a 1br apt with my parents and the cats alike. Whenever we feed them, they cry very loudly, and are always hungry which I don't blame them for. We never really have much money and we cannot afford them. We never could afford that many. My parents usually get them a box or bag of food a day and I know that's not enough. They all share one giant litter box which has caused the ill-behaved boys especially to mark the floors and different areas of the house. I'm so sick of living like them and watching them be unhappy despite being very happy and lovable animals. I recently got a carrier and am planning to take two of my kittens to get vaccinated and spayed this week by the ASPCA mobile clinic. But I'm afraid to because I know they cannot be around the other cats when they get back and I have no idea how to keep them separated unless I keep them in my room and get a litterbox for the room as well which will probably draw bugs or toxic smells in.

Is there a way to fix this quickly? I don't want to give away 3 specific adult cats (two beloved girls, and a beloved boy) nor any of the kittens though (for now). But if I can find homes or safe havens for the 5 adults help will be much appreciated. I live in NYC if that helps at all. If I can minimize this issue I will ultimately be able to get the few left spayed/neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lots of typos there, sorry! Please don't attack me about this situation. I know this a site where there are cat lovers who may deem me evil due to this situation, but I love my animals and the reason why I'm posting this in the first place is because I really want them to live better and have the proper amount of food and space to live comfortably on their own. There own litter boxes, their own freedom. It makes me sad. We don't starve them. We tend to give them human food / leftovers from unfinished dinners whenever we can't get a big bag of cat food. I wanted to start feeding them a raw diet, but there is no way I can afford to feed that many mouths. Every time I mention it to my parents they're like we'll do something about it, but they're always working so I'm trying to take matters into my own hands. I'd get a job if I could. I go to school so trying to balance that with working and my mental health currently wouldn't be a great idea.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you talked to any no-kill shelters to see if they can take some of them? You said due to the nature of the inbreeding they might not, but it might be worth the question. And they will "fix" them so the inappropriate urination and spraying might stop. If they are healthy, they make take them and find them homes for you, but you need to hurry before kitten season is upon us. Other than that, there are some free neuter and spay clinics around...just google exactly that "free neuter and spay clinic in my area" and see what pops up. At least then you won't have more and more kittens.

Keeping the newly fixed cats in your room with their own litter box should not draw bugs and be toxic at all. Many people keep litter boxes in very small places and as long as they are cleaned out daily it is not a problem. WE keep one in our closet and another in our bathroom...both small areas. We never even smell anything because we scoop them once in the morning and once in the evening. We scoop the "droppings" into a small plastic bag, then put it all into a larger plastic bag lined Tidy Cat plastic bucket with a removal lid that is kept outside. Then once a week that entire larger plastic bag gets taken out to the trash bin.

With so many cats sharing a giant litterbox, is it cleaned out several times a day? This is imperative and may be why there are issues with cats not using it. It needs to be not only scooped, but shifted thru, etc. to distribute any dampness.

As to the food, it's much cheaper to buy it in larger bags, not a small bag or box per day. Can your parents buy their food at Walmart or some other similar place to try to save money and get these poor babies enough to eat? I don't think anyone here blames you for this issue...you were only a small child when the situation arose, and clearly you are now asking for help :alright:. Really, though, I think the key is to get them all fixed. If none of them go outside, then at least get the males neutered. It's less expensive.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep my litter box in my room and as long as it's cleaned daily it's not gross, I promise! At PetSmart you can get a 16 or 18 lb bag of food for $12. I can't attest to the food quality, but it kept a stray momma and kittens alive at my mom's house which is all that matters when money is tight.

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where in NYC are you located? (Borough) I may know someone who can help you.

Also, how old are the 6 kittens, and are any of the females pregnant?
Hello! Thank you for trying to help. I'm in Manhattan and I'd much appreciate it if you could refer me.

Out of the 6 kittens, three female and one male are ALL 5 months old going on 6 in a couple of days. Two smaller male kittens are only 3-4 months old.

None of the female kittens are pregnant, but two adult male cats and one adult female are in heat. I believe that she will become pregnant at this rate as they have been competing for her and she has screamed already. It's saddening that this all happened again so suddenly.

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I keep my litter box in my room and as long as it's cleaned daily it's not gross, I promise! At PetSmart you can get a 16 or 18 lb bag of food for $12. I can't attest to the food quality, but it kept a stray momma and kittens alive at my mom's house which is all that matters when money is tight.
Thank you! I decided to keep the litter box in my room for my recently neutered female kitten. I had no idea that PetSmart carried big bags like that for so little. This past Monday I received a large 13lb bag of food for $12-13 that I ordered on Amazon. It's almost gone :sigh: I figure that I will save up the money to buy those bags or the PetSmart ones in abundance and get large containers to store all the food!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get the one adult female mentioned above spayed now? I would use your funds for her.

Also, could you keep all of the females in your room?

Males don’t go into heat. They are ready to mate at any time.

Flatbush_TNR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a very low cost solution, but it will take some effort. this is pretty much an emergency from a health and safety standpoint and should be addressed immediately and males/females should not be in the same room until it's resolved.

Step 1: take the online certification class for trap, neuter, return - it's about one hour
Step 2: once you're certified, reserve appointments for your cats (up to 10 at a time, or more if you contact them directly) - the class explains how all of these steps work
Step 3: contact the ASPCA trap bank if needed, so you could borrow traps/carriers to bring the cats in for spay/neuter ASAP
Step 4: if you need transport, contact Wheels of Hope

None of this is easy, but if you do this right it could literally cost you almost nothing. This is free spay/neuter, free traps/carriers, free transport. Take the time to do your research and contact the Mayor's Alliance for help. No one is going to come solve this for you, all of the shelters are overcrowded and no one has the ability to just visit a home and take care of something like this, but the good news is resources are available if you're willing to take charge.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent advice and referral from our friend Flatbush_TNR Flatbush_TNR ! Thank you kindly!

I know you are only 20 and in school, but I believe if you follow this advice and begin with the class, you will make contacts and have the confidence to handle this yourself!

This is free! :)

Please let us know how this goes!

Mokocchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to all who have given tremendously good advice on the matter. I fell into a depression regarding my academic life and have not been able to look into any of this... In terms of spay and neutering, I have not been able to take the course and two of my adult female cats had already become pregnant. They each had their kittens 1-2 wks ago and now there are 5 newborns... Which essentially means 8 adults, 6 kittens, 5 newborns... 19 cats.

I only managed to get my one kitten spayed in March shortly after the first post to this thread. It was very hard to keep her separated from the others and feed her on her own... but it worked and she has recovered very well.

I truly feel bad for them and it makes me angry that my parents aren't looking for solutions as much. Our home/financial situation aside from them has gotten worse as well and the conditions are toxic to not only us, but them. Currently looking into food pantries so that we could at the very least give them enough to eat...the 13lb bag goes very fast. Hope to get a job this Summer since school has ended.

Now this is an embarrassing question... What will happen to them if say, me and my family are evicted? I'm very worried and I don't know if they will be put out or to a kill-for-space shelter which I dread.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That could happen. Should it come down to that, I suggest looking into no-kills and rescues in your area, and surrendering the cats, other than your personal kitten. There is NO stigma to saying "we're overwhelmed, PLEASE HELP!"

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At this point, you really need to call a rescue shelter for help.

Can you find time to take the course? Please re-read Post #10. It’s a fairly simple, one-hour course, then you are eligible for free spay and neuter.

If you are evicted, the authorities will come in and take all of the cats.

Please push through your depression and make some phone calls for the sake of your cats and kittens.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry you’re feeling depressed and overwhelmed. Please make this your summer project. No one is leading a healthy or happy life here, and you taking any action will make a huge difference.

One step at a time.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there some way to separate the males and females? Put one bunch in the basement, or any other doors in the house? (Oops, I re-read it and see you live in 1-bedroom. Can one group be locked in the bedroom?). Preventing breeding is the most important thing.

Take the new kittens to a shelter right when they hit 10 weeks. Even a kill shelter---if they're healthy and friendly they'll get adopted; small kittens usually go fast.

Don't worry about keeping freshly spayed/neutered cats separate. I never do, and they do fine. That will be one less stressor for you.

What are you currently feeding them? What stores are you able to shop at? A 40-pound bag of Special Kitty from Walmart is about $25, the Premium flavor costs a couple dollars more but most cats seem to like it better. That's the best value I can think of.

I currently have 23 kitties indoors, and I know how easy it is to get overwhelmed. If you need more tips on saving money and management let me know.