URGENT: how to find lost cats after earthquake

Hm93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To cut a long story short- out 2 cats are missing after 2 big earthquakes, we have 2 days to find them before we have to evacuate. Best and quickest ways of finding them?

We had 2 massive earthquakes here in turkey. As soon as our apartment stopped shaking we looked for out 2 cats but couldn't find them. Another earthquake happened and the internal walls fell down. We had to go out as we thought the building was collapsing. The next day we took the risk and went back in to the apartment building to look for them again but still couldn't find them. The windows were smashed and there were holes in the walls and we were on the second floor so we assume they may have went out. They were both street cats before so I'm hopeful that they will know how to survive but it's now been 10 days and they still haven't been found. One neighbour said they saw a cat similar to one of ours outside but they couldn't be 100% sure. We posted all over social media but people are not caring about pets at the moment as so many people are still looking for their relatives. The situation is really bad - freezing cold, no food or water. The area is being evacuated so we have 2 days to find them otherwise we have to leave. We can't go back in to our apartment because it's close to collapsing so we can't get their used litter or blankets etc. to spread their scent outside. Any tips on the quickest best chance to find them would be much appreciated. I don't want them to think we've abandoned them and obviously it breaks my heart to even think we may have to leave without them

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for all of what is going on. I don't have any real advice because this is a terrible situation.
After ten days, they probably aren't hiding in one spot and not moving anymore. The only thing I can think of is to set up a feeding station and watch it. But it would have to be near your place, and you said you have to evacuate. I am sure it is chaos over there so that doesn't help either. The posters, social media, the things you have been doing. You are sure they left the apartment and aren't in the rubble inside.?

Try to think of what their go to moves are when they encountered stress in the home. Do they go up high? Or under things when scared? Thinking about it that way, then figure it would be worse. So, if one of the cats always runs under the bed when scared, you can figure he would be a ground dweller and try to imagine where he would go after the or during the quake. Look down low and under things, in drainage pipes and ditches.

On the other hand, if you have a cat that usually goes up on top of counters or bookcases when scared, look up high for him. and look in trees. Try to go back to that moment in your mind and see it from your cats point of view and eye level and think where they would go. And if scared again, where would they go from there.

Lost cats are usually more active in the very early morning, 2:00AM. They are also active at dusk and dawn. So look at those times if you safely can. Most cats that are lost won't go out to their owner, even if they see them. They are usually to frightened,

I wish I had some advice to help. This is a horrible situation. Are there any organizations out there that rescue the animals during these kinds of disasters. Have you seen anyone out there saving animals.

I hope you find both your kitties.
I am so sorry this happened.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There’s a lot of evidence that Cats can predict earthquakes moments before it happens, when I’ve seen documentaries about this they get into the safest nearest space which are always corners and stay there. So they would likely be really close to where they live. Look in any structures that’s safe to be at, in places that would provide some kind of protection. The bad news though is they’re likely to be near your apartment building. Cats can survive anywhere from three days to two weeks without food if there’s access to water, so be prepared for that. I’m so sorry this disaster happened, please stay safe.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry this has happened. :(
I've had a few instances where an indoor only cat manages to get outside, and they were always found very close to home. I'm sure they're very scared and are in hiding, and I really hope you find them. 🙏

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry this has happened. :(
I've had a few instances where an indoor only cat manages to get outside, and they were always found very close to home. I'm sure they're very scared and are in hiding, and I really hope you find them. 🙏
I agree, whatever space they managed to find it’s likely they’re still there.

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most cats have less than an acre of territory! I hve found two cats that got out years ago! One was living under a deck two houses away, and the other was in some woods not far from the house. What I did was put their beds outside, and food they would eat, and some clothes I had worn! The scent drew them out! One (under the house deck) I found coming to the food after two days! The other also came out of a wooded area to feed and spent some time on his bed! He was so scared he wouild run when he heard the door open! Finally, I sat all day in a chair near the are of Woods with food untill he came to eat with me outside! Your situation is much diffrent, but it is worth trying the food, and cat, and human smell trick!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can survive anywhere from three days to two weeks without food if there’s access to water, so be prepared for that. I’m so sorry this disaster happened, please stay safe.
The longest survival time for a cat that I know of was 38 days. A cat survived over 5 weeks under the rubble of a building which collapsed for a gas leak explosion in Germany years ago.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry you are in this situation and I can't even begin to imagine the heartache of the whole thing. I've often worried about earthquakes in my area, I'm in California not too far from a major fault line so it is a known danger here. That they were street cats before gives them really good odds of surviving if you do have to leave them behind. Chances are they are hiding somewhere in the building but they should be able to move around and scavenge for food within the debris. I know of a cat who went missing for 30 days before it was found and I have often heard stories of cats and dogs being found weeks later in fire zones here. I hope you can find them, but with the situation I don't know any way to help find them easier.

CodyMolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am SO Sorry this has happened to you! Go super super late at night like 11 or 12 at night or super early at 5am it will be very quiet and your cat will hear you and Listen very closely…. Crack cans and shake food at these times if they are near you please be patient for a few hours after calling them they will venture near you. Leave food for them to eat if possible bags of dry food. Also if you see your cat buy a havahart trap and put the food in it and the cat will get caught if it’s hungry use tuna fish something smelly that they can smell from afar. I pray you find them!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for all that has happened to you personally, and to your country because of this terrible earthquake. I have been through several CA quakes, although I am in no way making any comparison to the awful destruction that you are facing. My experience with animals has been that dogs bolt and start running and cats hide. I am guessing that they got out of your building and as other have said may have taken refuge someplace nearby.

Are any animal welfare organizations coming in to help? IFAW is posting lots of videos showing the rescue of dogs and cats from buildings.
How to Help Dogs and Cats Affected by the Earthquake in Turkey and Syria
ANIMAL CATASTROPHE! One Week On, Countless Dogs And Cats Are Still Trapped In The Rubble (and In Freezing Winter) In QUAKE-RAVAGED Turkey! - Network For Animals
The above articles mentions groups who may be in the area.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Wishing you best of luck to you and your cats.:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: They are safe,hiding. I am unfamiliar with earthquakes in flat houston but is it possible they could have run up trees if possible? If you have a black light you can look for them at night but they will be too afraid to walk up to you so get down low at thier heighth.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you absolutely cannot get to anything that smells like them, I would try something that smells like you. Put a box or pet carrier close by with food and water. Have your scarf or sweater inside. If you are able to be next to the structure itself, set some food and water in there. If they didn’t run outside when it happened, they hid inside and are likely still there. My girl has her own ideas about where to go in tornado weather, and is difficult to get to so she can shelter with me. Sending prayers to you and yours. ❤

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry! Such a tragedy is hard to imagine. Don't give up in your search. If no-one is forthcoming with advice from an earthquake area, perhaps the SPCA Christchurch, New Zealand, can advise you. I know that many animals simply ran when the earthquakes struck there and kind people were feeding them in the remote areas. So, don't lose hope!

Here is a video showing some of the cats and how they reacted in New Zealand.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Call to them... they may respond to your voice. Also the idea of an item of your clothing that you've been wearing is a good one. Along with food and most importantly water.

Is anyone sheltering the cats that have been found? Maybe check there ?
I can't imagine what it is like for you missing your babies, while trying to survive yourself.

Hugs and good wishes from Lisa and her fuzzy kids. Halfway around the world in Indiana, USA

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Call to them... they may respond to your voice. Also the idea of an item of your clothing that you've been wearing is a good one. Along with food and most importantly water.

Is anyone sheltering the cats that have been found? Maybe check there ?
I can't imagine what it is like for you missing your babies, while trying to survive yourself.

Hugs and good wishes from Lisa and her fuzzy kids. Halfway around the world in Indiana, USA
That's a very good point that someone else may have found them and took them somewhere safe.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry. I have been worried about the people and animals in Turkey since this happened. It breaks my heart. Even if you don't find your cats before you evacuate, please don't give up. I am sure there will be shelters in the area to help out when things are more settled. Your cats may stay in the area of your residence. I apologize if I am repeating advice from others. Like R RTR said, cats are resilient. It is not an ideal situation, but they will eat bugs or drink from water sources like puddles. Please don't give up. I will be praying for you. We are shocked and saddened here in the US.