URGENT: how to find lost cats after earthquake

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hm93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much to each and every one of you for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate your kind words and helpful tips!
We ended up finding one of our cats. He was actually in the building the entire time. The previous times we went in to look he didn't make any sound but the final time he started meowing and we found him stuck underneath a wardrobe. He was there for 12 days and it's truly a miracle that he's alive and well. We scoured the building and neighbourhood several more times but we couldn't find our other cat 😭. I will keep posting on social media and asking neighbours. There is not much in the way of animal rescue help in my area but he is microchipped so I can only hope that he will find his way back to us one day. Thank you all again, it really means a lot

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's so wonderful that you have been reunited with at least one of your furbabies :hugs:. We will remain hopeful with you that the other will still show up.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much to each and every one of you for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate your kind words and helpful tips!
We ended up finding one of our cats. He was actually in the building the entire time. The previous times we went in to look he didn't make any sound but the final time he started meowing and we found him stuck underneath a wardrobe. He was there for 12 days and it's truly a miracle that he's alive and well. We scoured the building and neighbourhood several more times but we couldn't find our other cat 😭. I will keep posting on social media and asking neighbours. There is not much in the way of animal rescue help in my area but he is microchipped so I can only hope that he will find his way back to us one day. Thank you all again, it really means a lot
I'm so glad you have found one! Don't give up on the second. I've had stray cats I feed go missing for months and show up long after I assumed they were never coming back. Cats are champion hiders and may still be too scared to come out. Prayers to you and everyone affected by this disaster. 🙏

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We scoured the building and neighbourhood several more times but we couldn't find our other cat 😭.
I came across an article that I thought I’d pass on, you’ve probably heard this a lot but it may help or at least confirm some theories

“A cat that has panicked and bolted is far different from a dog that’s run away and is likely to be just as difficult to locate yet is more likely to remain safe and close to home. The natural defense of our feline friends is not to run as fast as possible to escape danger, but to hide and protect their territory until the danger passes. Cats are natural-born survivors and can manage to use their instincts to live through natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other tragedies that are known to claim human lives.
Cats have been known to be missing for weeks, only to be discovered living in a neighbor’s yard within the same city block, or in the case of rural dwellers, even somewhere on a multi-acre property”