Urgent! Feral Cat Is Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You all are some really beautiful people. I'm so happy I've found you. I'm going to apply all your suggestions as best as possible.

I will keep you all updated.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she doing better? Also if you have any dry rice, you can fill a old sock with it or a pillow case and microwave it until it is nice and warm. Be sure it isn't too hot. It'll help build her strength by keeping her warm.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she doing better? Also if you have any dry rice, you can fill a old sock with it or a pillow case and microwave it until it is nice and warm. Be sure it isn't too hot. It'll help build her strength by keeping her warm.
Also, I wonder if she was just a very shy stray rather than a true feral? You're able to handle her and feed her by syringe, any true feral wouldn't allow that.

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I wonder if she was just a very shy stray rather than a true feral? You're able to handle her and feed her by syringe, any true feral wouldn't allow that.
I don't know if she's better. When she's not drinking or urinating, she's dropped sleeping. I'm guessing she does not have any energy to be up for long. I think she hasn't had food for days, aside from licking the food. She got to the point she would barely eat, then not at all. Do you put her on the pillow case? Right now, I have a small heater directed at her.

Yes, she's a true feral. I've feed her for years, but she would always hiss or scratch me if I got too close. She still would never let me touch her but she's warmed up do me over the years. The reason I can handle her, and it's sad to say, it's because she is so darn weak. I try to be as gentle as possible.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Vspin,

I've been in your exact situation before. You're doing great. Just remember that when you have a cat as sick as yours it's all about two things: Food, which they probably don't want because they are too sick to eat BUT can't get better without . . . And Medication. I've had to force/syringe feed many, many a sick feral, that's for sure.

I'm pulling for you and your girl. She is so amazingly lucky to have you. Remember that you're all she has.

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Vspin,

I've been in your exact situation before. You're doing great. Just remember that when you have a cat as sick as yours it's all about two things: Food, which they probably don't want because they are too sick to eat BUT can't get better without . . . And Medication. I've had to force/syringe feed many, many a sick feral, that's for sure.

I'm pulling for you and your girl. She is so amazingly lucky to have you. Remember that you're all she has.
You give me so much hope! My thoughts are in a much better place.

I am truly grateful for your, and everyone else's support.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the heater a fan one? In this case make sure you don't direct the flow to her.
The pillow case with rice is a good idea. Otherwise you can fill plastic bottles with warm water from the tap and roll them into some wool clothes. But you need to change them frequently.
There are warming pads for pets.
I have a thing that you put into the microwave oven for 5 minutes and stays warm for up to 8 hours, it's called SnuggleSafe.
Please, look for it on Amazon (sorry, can't put a link in the post).
Can you feel her temperature? Would you say she's cold, normally warm, too warm?
Is her nose clean and free? Can she breathe normally?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The pillow case with rice is a good idea.
It really is. The rice retains heat for quite a while. Do wrap the bag in a layer of toweling, though. That rice can get hot.

Keep syringe feeding her. She has to have that food. And as loose as you get it with the water/KMR/pedialyte, that will keep her hydrated, as well.

If this girl has any chance at all, it is because of what you are doing for her. Bless you. May I ask one favor? Give her a name. The act of naming a living being can have power. It forms a connections through which all sorts of energy can flow, and it says, "You matter to me, I see you as an individual apart from all others."

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't want to write this post. I was hoping to return with news to warm your hearts, but unfortunately that's not the case..

Her condition had really deteriorated to the point of no return. While she was barely breathing, there was little of her small, fragile body left. She had stopped drinking, and I could no longer attempt to get food (or water) down her completely limp body, and so I had her euthanized. I think she had pneumonia for much too long which had a devastating effect on her body.

I am heartbroken and devastated, but in all this sadness, I was witness to the beauty of humanity in all of you. Your kindness and compassion transcends.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry, you tried so hard. Rest you gentle, Little One, dream you deep. Your life touched more people than you could ever have imagined. Run free, healthy and happy at the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.