Uploading photos

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up till now I have always been able to upload photos from my computer into the site threads without a problem. I was given the choice between the thumbnail or the full size. But now all of a sudden when I go through the usual motions to upload a photo I don't get that option anymore and it is indicated that the uploading failed because "the uploaded photo is too large". What's happening? Please can someone explain what is happening and how I can go back to the normal proceeding. Many thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
golondrina golondrina You will probably have to reset your camera to smaller pixel size per photo.
If the camera is set on HD or high quality pictures the pictures will probably be 10 meg each and way to big to download
In the image mode on your camera set the size for 640x480 and it also download faster and pics will be about 2 meg.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what you're taking photos on, but occasionally one I snap on my phone will be over the limit, I'll go in to edit it, crop a tiny bit and the file size will reduce by half. Weird. :headscratch:

If the site is doing that for just one picture, then your camera probably did what mine does sometimes. If it's all pictures, then I'm not sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.Thank you Silver Crazy and Lari but the problem occurs with ALL the photos in my computer, it doesn't matter how OLD they are or if they had been taken with different cameras or a cell phones. Up till now I have been able to upload into TCS threads ANY photos from my computer, many of them many years old and taken with different cameras and cell phones. And now all of a sudden the usual proceeding will not work. As I mentioned before I don't get anymore the option between the thumbnail size and the full size. Instead I get an indication that "the uploaded photo is too large".

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you tabbytom but................do I have to do all THAT everytime I want to post a photo?!:confused2: but why have they changed the system?? It was so simple before:)

All my photos are the SAME as before and the same photos which before were uploaded so simply NOW are TOO BIG??

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you tabbytom but................do I have to do all THAT everytime I want to post a photo?!:confused2: but why have they changed the system?? It was so simple before:)

All my photos are the SAME as before and the same photos which before were uploaded so simply NOW are TOO BIG??
No, you don't have to do that every time. Sometimes for some reasons, the file is bigger than usual. I face the same problems too. Some of my photos are too big in size too.

Maybe what you cans do is limit the file size to a smaller one in your camera and by doing that, each time you take a photo, it's within the size.

No, the system has not changed as far as I know. The upload limit size for a photo has been 5MB. Any larger than that you can't upload it.

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom said:

"Maybe what you cans do is limit the file size to a smaller one in your camera and by doing that, each time you take a photo, it's h]\keot within the size."

I don't use a camera but a cell phone. I haven't the foggiest idea how to do THAT. Any way my problem is now with ALL my photos in the computer which before were uploaded without any problem. How they have become too big all of a sudden I cant understand. Sorry to be so darn incapable. Thanks for your patience and good will

Last edited:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tobbytom said:

"No, the system has not changed as far as I know."
Before the system gave me the option to choose between the thumbnail size and the fullsize but now I don't get that option anymore.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't use a camera but a cell phone. I haven't the foggiest idea how to do THAT. Any way my problem is now with ALL my photos in the computer which before were uploaded without any problem. How they have become too big all of a sudden I cant understand. Sorry to be so darn incapable. Thanks for your patience and good will
Newer phones have higher megapixels and will capture more details resulting in higher pixels.

"No, the system has not changed as far as I know."
Before the system gave me the option to choose between the thumbnail size and the fullsize but now I don't get that option anymore.
You still can choose between thumbnail or full size. I don't know why you don't get that option anymore.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Newer phones have higher megapixels and will capture more details resulting in higher pixels.

You still can choose between thumbnail or full size. I don't know why you don't get that option anymore.
NO tabbytom, I don't anymore get that option, that is why I supposed the system had changed. It doesn't matter WHAT photo I try to upload, now I get the message that it is too large, even photos that I have successfully uploaded in the past and very recently. It is the case of this month's competition photo. 😧

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi golondrina golondrina , I saved your picture for this month's contest and uploaded it here.

It's not too big (1,87 MB (way below 5 MB)) and I got the "Thumbnail and "Full image" option.

Take a deep breath and try to post this picture in this thread .... good luck !!!

IMG_20200428_192958.jpg