Updates from Kiev

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Paul9856 Paul9856 : The news we're getting from Kyiv as of late has been pretty dismal. Hope you and Alina and the cats are managing as well as possible. If you should ever get internet access, please post a message to let us know how you're doing. You all continue to be in my thoughts. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dobry Den Everybody - as PM Boris Johnson said :) Well I can't say that life is getting exciting but it certainly has moments. Alina and I live on the 7th floor of a 12 floor apartment block and with the erratic timing of the power cuts we are avoiding the lifts which is not really doing much good to my knees but Pukin's latest attack was audible in our apartment but not window rattling, the electricity in our area stayed on which was a surprise but water pressure dropped right off for nearly 24 hours and the district heating stayed off until only a few hours ago so it got pretty cold. Having the electricity off for 6 hours at a time is a pain in the butt but not terrible, there is a fairly reliable schedule and we arrange our cooking and meals around that but losing water is much more awkward still not really a problem compared to Bahkmut and Kherson.

Thanks for thinking about us we are ok and expect to remain that way to the New Year, looking forward from that we are getting infromation from the General Staff to expect a new Russian offensive in the early part of the new year - that might be January - the ground will be frozen but very cold conditions or maybe March/April, we can't really expect Pukin to repeat his screw up of attacking during the thaw (late Feb) although it would be nice. The numbers being touted are 200k troops - not sure how their logistics will cope this time or what modern weapons will be available as we have been giving their army a pretty good kicking so far.

If we get anything new I'll come back and give you all an update

Love
Paul Alina and the kitties

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Another thank you for updating us. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to keep us in the loop. It brought a smile to my face to hear you call Putin, Pukin. :barfgreen: I'm assuming that was intentional. If we don't hear from you later in the week I'd like to wish Alina, the kitties and you Merry Christmas.🎄

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paul9856 Paul9856 , for what it's worth, I hope you have lots of pots and old gallon jugs and things like that so you can store some water for times when it's not available from the tap. Other than that I have no suggestions; the thought of being without water is seriously scary to me, due to some extreme dehydration I suffered during a gall bladder attack many decades ago, so that's where my mind leaps.

Also for what it's worth, the news we're getting out of Russia indicates that Pukin is conscripting just about any and everyone, specifically including people who are clearly unfit to serve. I think that you may end up with a totally different humanitarian disaster on your hands with the next offensive - captured Russian troops who already needed some fairly major medical care even before they were drafted. OTOH, they're also using violent prisoners as troops, so you're likely to be in for more atrocities as well.

And we're seeing reports of Russian troops feuding with mercenary troops, resulting in fights involving deadly weapons, and dead Russian (and mercenary) soldiers as a result.

I echo the sentiments of others here; Thank you so much for keeping us updated. We worry, and you are at the top of our worry list these days.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul9856

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it has been a while since my last update, we have been through a long quiet phase but recently Kyiv has come back under heavy air attack and recently the rockets and drones seem to be coming much closer to home. I am not afraid to say that it has been pretty damn scary with the middle of the night air raids but I keep hoping that Russia can't sustain the expense of the attacks for what is basicallly no results

Love to you all

Paul and Alina