Update On Lily!

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay for Lily! As long as Zoe is eating enough dry food for her needs, and drinking lots of water, it should be okay. If she's eating enough calories from dry food, she should be getting the daily levels of taurine. Maybe she's gotten tired of the sardines food? Since she's a kitty, she might just start eating the wet food again in a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'll definitely look into that! I know the GNC Cat vitamins have taurine so might go back to that till she gets over this weird non eating well bit. Plus I trust GNC because Lily gets the glucosamine and hairball treats by them

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got to thinking, maybe there's static building up in her fur when you're brushing? You could do like I have to - I keep a damp-to-wettish paper towel and give him a wipe now and then with that inbetween brushing strokes..

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good idea! I sometimes do that when I'm trying to clean her when I'm brushing her.
Tonight hasn't been to eventful. Nobody touched their dinner tonight. :nono: stubborn girls.
No poop today. Hopefully tomorrow I'll find something. I won't be home from like 5 am till like 9 pm tomorrow so hopefully mom will text me if she goes good. I gave her pumpkin mixed with lecithin and ez egg yolk last night so hopefully that'll make its way out tomorrow, tomorrow will be day 3 since she last pooped, but every 3 days used to be her norm before she got blocked up.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poop! Yaye! Mom texted me yesterday (as promised) if she found some in the litter box while I was gone from 5 AM till about 8 last night. And she did, and described to me what it looked like (I would prefer a picture :flail:) so that put me at little more ease for the day while I was gone. Then this morning, I found a bunch of tiny balls again, which made me sad. BUT! Just a few minutes ago I found a nice sized, kinda broken up log, so that was a good poop! Yess! Yaye Lily!
I gave her a bit of pumpkin mixed with egg lecithin, and the EZ egg yolk this morning, I'm surprised it worked that fast. She'll get more tomorrow morning, since I have the can of pumpkin open in the refrigerator. Then, give it a break for about 2/3 days. and her hairball treats between those days.
She walked today, we got two walks outside, since it was overcast, but mid 60's. She always looks for grass to eat, and I feel bad because theres really not much fresh grass out there with it being the dead of winter. I've bought "cat grass" before, she has no interest in those little pots, I've even grown some about two years in a bigger pot and not much interest. But we walked around the side of the house, by the driveway, and she likes sniffing things, I guess thats her way of exploring.
I went to Petco today and picked up a few random cans of things, different flavors. I tried Chicken & Liver with them this afternoon, and NO WAY, she nor Zoe would touch it. I've got some beef in there I'll try that in a few days. I just think they are getting tired of tuna tuna tuna. Because all they eat is TUNA with duck, TUNA and sardine. But that was all they would eat for awhile, and not just lick the moisture out, and now I'm happy if they do lick the moisture out again. Silly unpredictable girls.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No poop yet. It's been a day and a half, almost 2 days? Tomorrow I'll give her more pumpkin-egg lecithin-yolk. I found a thrown up hair ball this morning so I smeared some vaseline on her paw, not sure if she licked it off or flicked it off somewhere. Actually, dont know if she got any in her cuz as I was typing this I got up to wipe her paw bc there was alot of litter stuck to her paw so she was still sticky.
I got her to eat some friskies cuts with extra gravy (just licking the gravy) so there's some hydration.
Zoe is still being a pain in the butt with the non eating of wet food. Mom said she did ok with breakfast but when I gave her dinner she wouldn't touch it and then came back and ate her crave dry food. Oh and I've tried chicken and liver, and beef wet food, to try to get her to eat wet food again and yeah no one likes it. Urgh!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I kinda feel like no one really reads these anymore, but hey I like my Lily updates! And its almost like if I don't post it, did the poop even happen??! LOL Anyway! We got some poop this morning! a good one too. Very shortly after her pumpkin/ez egg yolk/lecithin mix. And she walked a bit today on her own, she went into the woods by herself. Didn't do too much exploring, but she did walk on some tree stumps and scratched on those.
Still struggling with food over here. Lily did decently, Zoe took one lick and done. I picked up some more random crap ( I spend more money on stuff that just gets thrown away) I picked up Simply Nourish kitten tuna & potato, that was a no. And I think it was Instinct? Rabbit. that'll probably be a no also but I'm going to keep trying. They are both getting tired of tuna varieties when they used to devour the tuna & Duck. Maybe I should starve them and then offer them good wet food and I bet they will eat then! (I'm kidding, I would never starve these rotten little boogers)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sure there are members who read your updates! And, you can use it track how Lily is responding (poop wise) to the 'concoctions' you give her - to help you determine what the right combination is for her!!! Although, it might be easier to see results with a spreadsheet or chart. ;)

Wish I could help you with the food. To me, that is a bit tougher to work through, especially when two cats don't necessarily like the same foods.

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since this is an ongoing GI issue for Lily, you might want to inquire about gastrointestinal motility therapy with your vet. Cisapride, a "prokinetic" GI motility drug has been very effective for repeat constipation, obstipation, or hairball obstruction. It's only available via compound pharmacies, which can flavor it for picky kitties like yours. Has a xray series on barium been imaged to rule out the onset of megacolon? Other than that, consistent medicating daily, adhering to a regime, is the best way to avoid obstipation or constipation. Some will still obstruct with fecal matter, and require enemas weekly to monthly, esp in cases of megacolon undiagnosed or untreated. When picky cats refuse a therapeutic canned diet, temporary use of appetite stimulants are used to encourage them to eat moist food until weaned off, and now behaviorally conditioned to eat the therapeutic diet. Discuss the benefits and side effects of cisapride, daily miralax, barium xray series, and appetite stimulant with your vet, just to get him thinking beyond "Lily's weight management." Review the controlled feeding quantity so your vet is "reassured" you are participating actively in following his/her recommendation for weight loss. They may have such tunnel vision on her weight, the abnormal motility and your daily management of her intake and output has faded to the background. Lotsa work, but worth patient persistence with vet communication for that diva of a floofball, right?!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This morning they did *ok* with breakfast. They wouldn't eat their normal breakfast, wouldn't even touch it, so Lily got friskies extra gravy, Zoe licked instinct rabbit. And just tried feeding them practically begging them to eat their tuna and duck and yeah no. I will try something different in about 45 minutes because they've got me wrapped me around their little paws.
Nothing new on the poop front, not since Thursday so not worried yet. She will get more pumpkin egg mix tonight or tomorrow morning, regardless if she poops between then, gotta keep this up regularly.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She got two walks around the house this morning. I kicked her out the front door twice so she'd have to walk around. :devilish: And a little while ago we walked around the back a little bit together. I found on the screened in porch a BIG long hairball that I didn't notice her hack up, probably the last few days. Poor baby. I bought a zoomgroom, almost got an expensive big furminator but decided against it from what I've read on here. No great poop news, lots of dark balls yesterday, balls with a couple clumps in it today. So yesterday she got the pumpkin egg mix, today I skipped pumpkin and just used chicken baby food with EZ egg and lecithin to hopefully loosen things up a bit.
I gave them Instinct limited ingredient rabbit today, Lily licked some of the juice off, (after I stuck some in her mouth to taste it) and Zoe did decently with it, licked a lot of the juice out of it, and maybe even ate a morsel out of it. So that means rabbit might be something to add to rotation, if I can find something that has more gravy and not have to be chewed so much. (WHY they won't eat morsels or chunks or shred is beyond me). Now Lily is lying in the living room, I keep looking over to see if she gives me any indication that she's thirsty and try to lead her to her shower.

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feeby is a 'pate only' kind of gal, and will do nothing but lick gravy/liquid off of any others. But, she sure can eat a piece of human turkey, or a bite of filet mignon with no problem. Go figure...
Some folks all around the globe are PAID to distinguish this phenomena, trying to answer the big "Why?"
Food Preferences in Cats: Effect of Dietary Composition and Intrinsic Variables on Diet Selection
Impact of macronutrient composition and palatability in wet diets on food selection in cats. - PubMed - NCBI
Factors influencing the food preference of cats. - PubMed - NCBI

And then, I kid not, how their food odors affect OUR emotions. Ha! How the odor of pet food influences pet owners’ emotions: A cross cultural study

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good Morning!
So I've tried something new (again) I bought some vets best hairball relief. Yesterday I crushed two pills up, and mixed it in with pumpkin and EZ egg yolk and water. She got it again this morning. And, we got a decent poop this morning, like literally within 5 minutes of the mixture. Yesterdays poop was broken up and bally so that's why I wanted to try something new. The lady at the pet store told me to smear peanut butter on her nose and have her lick it off.... peanut butter.....? Never heard of that as a laxative for cats and dont think I'd feel comfortable giving her peanut butter. Not much else to report on. Too bad I gotta work today, its pretty out and would be a good day for us to do some walking.
I'm so tempted by the way, even though they are so picky, to buy and stock up and wet food, just to have it, like 30 packets of sardine and tuna, and duck and tuna, bc sometimes they eat those, just in case we go into a true lock down bc of the virus. Like I'm more worried about having enough food for them if things go down than food for me bc they are so picky and wouldn't eat human food. Ooh and I'd get like a big bag of crave too.