Update On Lily!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been a few days/maybe a week since I posted about Lily. She is really starting to perk up! She's more alert and active, still lazy but more "involved" I took her on a walk in the woods this afternoon, and she had a good time exploring. I am attaching a picture of her being brave and exploring. I also noticed when we first started out on our walk, she was MUCH faster going down the deck stairs. I'm wondering if the Glucosamine supplement is already helping? (its the GNC glucosamine & DHA/EPA).
And we have POOPS! Almost every day I'm finding poop in her box, and I'm pretty sure its not Zoe because Zoe never got the hang of the litter box and prefers to go outside, plus Zoe is a lot smaller and there for, makes smaller poops. I've found a pumpkin puree that Lily will eat, at Petco. I was giving her just regular grocery store pumpkin that I had to stick on my finger and basically shove down her throat. I picked up a few packets of Tiki cat pureed pumpkin, which has wheat grass, and she ate ALL of it, by herself. I am so proud of this girl today. I hope we're on the road to having a happier healthier Lily again. And finally clean her out! yaye. Anyway here is her today being a "wild cat" in the woods.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All good news for Lily - and you!! I hope things keep going in the positive direction they are headed now!

It didn't take too long to notice a difference in Feeby when I started her on Glyco Flex Plus for her arthritis, so you are likely seeing the effects of the glucosamine supplement.

Not to detract from Lily - but did Zoe get over whatever freaked her out with her sleep cube?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ha, no she didn't FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . It's funny you ask that because just today when I went to walmart I picked up a new one. Hopefully this one will be less scary and no invisible monsters will be in there. I wanted to get another one because she was sleeping in Lily's, just her blue one has been untouched for weeks. Now they match at least. They are jungle themed, one has a lion on it, the other is a panther.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update time! :hyper: Its been a week since my last update. Lily is still going good! Yesterday she got TWO walks around the house. My Mom had texted me while I was at work, that Lily happily walked around the house with her in the morning. then when I came home, we did it again. Today, we went on our adventure in the woods again, Zoe came with us also. We didn't go as far today, because Zoe was with us, and I have to keep a closer eye on Zoe, I don't want to give her the idea that its okay to go that deep into the woods, since shes so more outgoing and adventurous than Lily. I will put todays pictures at the bottom of this post. And if anyone is wondering, yes those are graves they are sitting on, there is an old family graveyard (not our family) behind my house, then there is more woods. We would of stayed out there longer, but I decided to sit on a tree trump while they were exploring and I was bitten by some type of ant several times and it hurt so bad, even more than a bee sting!
I think Lily was annoyed that Zoe was on the walk with us, anytime Zoe ran by Lily, she would growl. Silly girl.
Anyway, she's pooping pretty good still too, about every other day. She still gets the glucosamine, I think its been a good two weeks now that I started giving her the glucosamine treats. And this morning I gave her another packet of the pumpkin and wheat grass. she didn't eat the entire package, but about half, still thats so much better than when I was forcing normal pumpkin down her. Anyway, here is Lily & Zoe on their walk!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well today has been a slow day for her. She's kinda grumpy, or at least not willing to do the outdoor things. I took her outside today trying to get her to walk around the house,(no woods adventure today) and she's just not having it. She walked to the front yard, with a few breaks in the garden, and then inside she wanted and has been napping since. It may just be too hot for her today, or just too humid for her liking. I thought she had some mild constipation building again because yesterday there will some balls in there, and it had been about 2 days (before this whole major constipation started she was only going every 3rd day). So this morning I gave her the TikiCat pumpkin and wheat grass, and she did poop a normal poop sometime while I was running an errand. Just a SLOWW Lily day, and she doesn't have much patience with Zoe today either. Zoe wanted to say Hi and to jump on her and Lily started snarling at her before she even got to jumping. Hopefully tomorrow will be better, maybe I'll try and walk her good early tomorrow before it gets hot. Hopefully next time I post I'll have some good news and more pics of my playful Lily.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a few days/maybe a week since I posted about Lily. She is really starting to perk up! She's more alert and active, still lazy but more "involved" I took her on a walk in the woods this afternoon, and she had a good time exploring. I am attaching a picture of her being brave and exploring. I also noticed when we first started out on our walk, she was MUCH faster going down the deck stairs. I'm wondering if the Glucosamine supplement is already helping? (its the GNC glucosamine & DHA/EPA).
And we have POOPS! Almost every day I'm finding poop in her box, and I'm pretty sure its not Zoe because Zoe never got the hang of the litter box and prefers to go outside, plus Zoe is a lot smaller and there for, makes smaller poops. I've found a pumpkin puree that Lily will eat, at Petco. I was giving her just regular grocery store pumpkin that I had to stick on my finger and basically shove down her throat. I picked up a few packets of Tiki cat pureed pumpkin, which has wheat grass, and she ate ALL of it, by herself. I am so proud of this girl today. I hope we're on the road to having a happier healthier Lily again. And finally clean her out! yaye. Anyway here is her today being a "wild cat" in the woods.
Beautiful

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! It could be that her having some new poop issues (hopefully resolved with your pumpkin/wheat grass regimen) just have her 'down' some. Just keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't have any additional issues crop up. Older cats scare the crap out of me, sometimes!!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we are blocked up again. I realized this morning it's been since Monday since she's had a good poop. She's pretty slow today, tried getting her to walk around with me, but she's not having it. I'm torn between giving her laxatone, or going back to the pumpkin. I was reading about laxatone and how it being oil based I gotta be careful she doesn't aspirate it? I give it to her the same way I give her pumpkin, from my finger, and just sticking my finger in her mouth so where she has no choice but to eat it. Yesterday she seemed pretty good, she on her own, walked around outside and walked on a few tree stumps. Maybe its the humidity too that has her kinda down and doesn't want to do alot of outdoor stuff. But I'm torn between pumpkin and laxatone? The vet was encouraging me to play with her, specifically a laser pointer, but she doesn't know Lily. Lily is not, and never was a big player, she's not into toys. My best bet of exercise are our outdoor walks, and letting her explore the woods. She likes that. I feel like we're not gonna get anywhere with the weight loss and exercise until I get her insides moving correctly to where she feels good enough to move around a lot.
On the bright side, she did like the new treats I got her, the "prescription treats" the royal canin satiety support. Much less calories than temptations.
Hopefully my next update I'll be posting pictures of my little wild cat exploring the woods. :-/

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was reading about laxatone and how it being oil based I gotta be careful she doesn't aspirate it? I give it to her the same way I give her pumpkin, from my finger, and just sticking my finger in her mouth so where she has no choice but to eat it.
I would stick with the laxatone. I am never sure how pumpkin will work as it can be used for both diarrhea and constipation. So, to me it is a gamble. It would seem to me the amount of laxatone you are using, as you described it, wouldn't be enough to cause aspiration.

Would it be possible to administer laxatone the way I do Feeby's antibiotics? I put the liquid antibiotic into a dish and add just a tiny bit of canned chicken water to it. I do this right before she is due for a meal. She likes the flavor of the chicken water, and has learned her meal is immediately following.

Also, as F FeralHearts said, use Miralax - just ask the vet whether you can use it in combination with the laxatone.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would stick with the laxatone. I am never sure how pumpkin will work as it can be used for both diarrhea and constipation. So, to me it is a gamble. It would seem to me the amount of laxatone you are using, as you described it, wouldn't be enough to cause aspiration.

Would it be possible to administer laxatone the way I do Feeby's antibiotics? I put the liquid antibiotic into a dish and add just a tiny bit of canned chicken water to it. I do this right before she is due for a meal. She likes the flavor of the chicken water, and has learned her meal is immediately following.

Also, as F FeralHearts said, use Miralax - just ask the vet whether you can use it in combination with the laxatone.
BTW this is interesting: My one vet let me know that the most recent studies about the pumpkin show a lesser effect with fiber/poop than they used to think - but it's still really good for satiating appetites and getting more fluid/water in them - which - of course, helps the poops!

I still give everyone pumpkin. :-) Especially little miss fatty pants. I am not giving up the pumpkin ever. :-D

stacydc83 stacydc83 Are you using Lactulose or Laxatone?

Last edited:

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
F FeralHearts Thank you for thinking my girls are beautiful:cloud9:. The vet techs kept commenting on how gorgeous Lily was, and not a word about Zoe, I'm like "hey, she's really pretty too!" Anyway, I have not tried Miralax, I had first read about pumpkin, and tried that first, and when I tried it first about 2? maybe 3 weeks ago? it seemed to really help so I stuck with that, I certainly hope it doesn't keep them from going like diarrhea, thats the last thing she needs right now! And before I read the replies, I brought her in from outside, she looked so miserable, she was just laying on the back porch, and I got about 2 finger dollops in her of pumpkin.
And the laxatone I'm using, the vet had simply said "laxatone" and there are tons of options, so I went with Tomlyn's natural Hairball remedy, without the petroleum. Its oil based, soybean oil, cod liver oil, flaxseed oil, and a bunch of other random oils, oh and lecithin, and then random ingredients. still looked better than the petroleum. And FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I've tried so many ways of hiding these things in food, tuna water, chicken water, and she's so stubborn she won't eat stuff like that, especially if there is something in it. that's why I just "get er done" with sticking the pumpkin or laxatone straight in her mouth. She's not a fan of it, but she gets over it quickly and doesn't seem to hate me for it. and then she gets a treat afterwards. Instead of the new prescription treats I gave her two temptations and her glucosamine treat as a reward. I think in a few hours, or tonight even, I'll do the laxatone. Hopefully over night I'll see something.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She pooped! Yaye. Still grumpy as hell though. I guess tonight I'll give her the laxatone right before I go to bed. I know when I was taking those happy walk pictures she had gone several times in a few days so I don't think one good BM is enough to make her feel good again. I tried playing with her. Just FYI, playing hide and seek by yourself is NOT fun, lol. I keep watching the weather channel, they can't give us a definite answer on if Dorian is going to be a big impact here, hopefully this weekend will be less humidity/cooler and maybe Lily will want to go on one of her adventures.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not giving the laxatone anymore. Lily does not like it. She was seriously pissed off over the laxatone, and now she looks like she doesn't feel good. She doesn't react like this with pumpkin. She gets it, accepts it, and then forgives me. She's clearly upset with me right now :( Hopefully Petco will take it back, it was $15.99 for the tube, I'll go to Petsmart and go to our stand by, the GNC hairball treats. Sorry Lily :(

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
xoXO I totally understand this.

2 of my 4 hate the stuff. I tried like 4 flavors. The two will only take the natural one and oddly enough it doesn't work as good as the non-natural one - which sucks - and it's so expensive. I'm actually considering posting here is anyone knows how to make some that the cats will actually eat! It's so frustrating.

XOXOXOXOXOX

She will forgive you. They always do. Eventuallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. XOXOX

Glad She pooped though - at least something good happened!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I feel so bad right now, she growled at me, and now she's sulking in the garage, she only goes to the garage when she's terrified of storms, I guess she did it to get away from me this time. Then she kept licking her lips for like 15 minutes after. I wonder if it makes them sick to their stomach? Maybe tomorrow I'll give her a break and not even stick pumpkin her mouth. I don't want to lose her trust. Doesn't help I awoke her from a very blissful looking sleep to give her that crap.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
F FeralHearts Thank you for thinking my girls are beautiful:cloud9:. The vet techs kept commenting on how gorgeous Lily was, and not a word about Zoe, I'm like "hey, she's really pretty too!"
Aweee they are both stunning and look very happy!

The reason I ask if it was Laxatone or Lactulose was that the Lactulose is this sticky liquid that you have to use a syringe to get in and boy does it PO the cats. Laxatone at least isn't fluid making it easier.

Thanks. I feel so bad right now, she growled at me, and now she's sulking in the garage, she only goes to the garage when she's terrified of storms, I guess she did it to get away from me this time. Then she kept licking her lips for like 15 minutes after. I wonder if it makes them sick to their stomach? Maybe tomorrow I'll give her a break and not even stick pumpkin her mouth. I don't want to lose her trust. Doesn't help I awoke her from a very blissful looking sleep to give her that crap.
Mine do that same thing when they don't like something. You probably didn't make her feel sick - that stuff can be sticky and she's probably got it all over herself. I've watched my cats trying to take it and the two that hate it do that too. It's like they are trying to get it all out of their mouths and fur... but yup she's no doubt PO'd!

It's for their own good. Remember that when you feel bad. It sucks we have to do this - but - it's all about helping them. Whether they want the help or not!

If you decide to try the Miralax, restoraLax is what it's called in Canada, make sure they get plenty of extra fluids. Miralax helps them to poop by pulling extra water into the digestive tract to soften things up. So extra water becomes extremely important.

If you think in any way there are a lot of hairballs stuck in the tract - talk to the vet first.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Todays update: I gave her the pumpkin that she will eat on her own, the tiki cat with wheat grass this morning. we had a slow walk halfway around the house, but its something. I returned the laxatone, I do believe it made her sick last night, she just wasn't acting right till this morning. So just don't feel right giving it to her. I tried the egg yolk today, that's a no go too. Urghh! So, I've read on here how many people use egg lecithin, a supplement. what is it, where do I buy it, and about how much does it cost, and how do you use it?
Yes she does have quite the issues with hairballs, and the vet had said laxatone, but yeah something about laxatone is not good for her. so ready to add more to our regimen, a more natural approach I guess.
So hopefully, my next update, will be happy pictures of her being happy and exploring. I don't get it, she was turning around and doing so great last week :(