*UPDATE* Did Jack get spooked?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is taking longer than l thought Laurie, but l won't give up. They've been the best of friends all this time as you know, and if it takes weeks to get them back to normal again then so be it.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had fur literally flying this morning

I left Rosie alseep on her blanket on the sofa, and Jack and Sophie were already asleep on my bed when l went up, but then l was woken up to screams at 1.40.a.m. I went running downstairs and Rosie was on top of the sofa growling at Jack who was on the seat of the sofa. His tail was puffed up and swishing side to side. I picked him up and put him in the conservatory, but he really shook Rosie up so much that during their fight she peed a bit on the hardwood floor

She wouldn't come upstairs but started washing herself down, so l picked the fur up and washed down the floor and went back up to bed, then eventually she came up after 4.a.m

Jack nose kissed Sophie when l opened the door, then went upstairs and lay on the bed where Rosie was, but while l was getting dressed l could see him watching her, then noticed his tail start to swish, then just as he was ready to pounce on her l picked him up and now he's back in the conservatory

I just don't know what to do next. Do l keep them from seeing each other for a few days????

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just rang a behaviourist who can come down for 1 1/2-2 hours to do an assessment on them. £186 + 45p per mile!!!!. And she's not around the corner either, it's a good 2 - 21/2 hours drive from me
That's the nearest one to me because i've just rang my vets for the nearest one

Theres not a lot she'll see if l book her either because Jack always runs and hides under the duvet when a stranger comes to the house!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think you can manage to make a video or so of their interaction? That would give the behaviorist something to work with in case Jack "disappears" when she comes. You might want to keep a watering can handy in case they really get into it. We've learned the hard way that that's the only way to break up a fight between Jamie and Miezi.

I wonder if it's "just" a question of Jack being dissatisfied with the pecking order?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could do, but he seems to pounce when i'm not there?

I let him back in the room when l got home and all afternoon he's been going beside Rosie giving off friendly little meep sounds. Rosie's naturally hissed at him because she's wary now, then Jack just sits crouched down about 2-3' from her giving her slow blinks.

He's sitting beside me now meowing and purring giving me head bumps which i'm giving him scritches and speaking to him, but l think for a few days i'm going to have to leave him in the conservatory at night and when i'm at work to see if a longer spell apart will do the trick. I hate doing it because Jack hates being on his own, but if it means them getting back on track with each other?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a strange state of affairs! I haven't been commenting, because I really have no wisdom for you, but I have been reading along, and I remain mystified. I do hope you find an even keel soon.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about the distress in your household. I've been living with Lucy being really upset and Carly being chased since the kittens so I know how unnerving it can be.

How old is Jack now? I have heard that as they reach maturity, cats may challenge the status quo.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

How old is Jack now? I have heard that as they reach maturity, cats may challenge the status quo.
He just recently turned 4.

Poor Rosie is sticking to my side, and if she jumps down for a drink or for some kibbles she takes ages to get there because of her watching for him

Jack's sniffing everywhere she's been as well?

And!!!. I've just noticed when he stalks her the most, it's at night?. He's just come in and sat in front of her with his eyes huge, ears flat as if ready to pounce, but then Rosie started growling then he saw me looking at him and walked away?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert at introducing animals, but it sounds like you need to go back to the beginning and separate them for a period of time and slowly start the reintroductions as you would if they were just coming home to live with you. Also, try that vanilla extract on the base of the tail. Apparently that masks that cat smell and it might help with the aggressiveness.

Lots and lots of vibes that they will all be best friends again

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

He just recently turned 4.
Then he is past the point I was thinking of. It definitely sounds like redirected aggression though what started it sounds like a total mystery. I've heard that the offending incident could have happened hours before the aggression.

The only way I've heard to address it is to do reintroductions again. I would sequester Jack somewhere and let Rosie have the run of the house. Then do the exercises of feeding them on both sides of a door and swapping scents. I have found that playing with Carly has helped her gain confidence and she isn't as skittish around the kittens so maybe play time with Rosie would help her become more confident.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was it Rosie or Sophie that was recently under the weather? And when was her last annual check up?

I'm wondering if it isn't worth taking her in for a check up - just to make sure! Then maybe reconsider reintroducing them?

Also, Jana's thoughts make sense to me. Billy seemed like SUCH a submissive kitty when he was first here. He was about 2 when rescued. that means he's almost 4 now. It took him about a year to get completely comfortable here. ...and for the past few months, he's really focused his attention on Lazlo (usually the alpha, though it's a bit flexible) - and he no longer backs down, and definitely swipes out at other kitties - especially Shelly or Ming Loy when they get in his space and he isn't into it.

It's just really odd!!!!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I've heard that the offending incident could have happened hours before the aggression.

The only way I've heard to address it is to do reintroductions again.
Oh really?!. They were fast asleep together with me all that night on the sofa, then not long after being in bed that's when Jack changed so suddenly?.

I will leave him in the conservatory at bedtime, then when i'm at work and do the blanket swap again as well as the feeding. I've been brushing Jack, then Rosie etc..

Poor Sophie, she's one of the most laid back cats, and in the midst of all this she just carries on throwing her knitted ball up in the air that the cats protection gave them like nothings happening

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Was it Rosie or Sophie that was recently under the weather? And when was her last annual check up?
It was Jack first, then Rosie, but that was weeks ago and their fine now?. Rosie and Sophie are due their checkups in the next month though so i'll have a word with their vet

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm no expert at introducing animals, but it sounds like you need to go back to the beginning and separate them for a period of time and slowly start the reintroductions as you would if they were just coming home to live with you. Also, try that vanilla extract on the base of the tail. Apparently that masks that cat smell and it might help with the aggressiveness.

Lots and lots of vibes that they will all be best friends again
I feel really badly for Rosie with all this commotion going on. I was going to suggest exactly the same thing Natalie. I think maybe starting over might be the way to go. And here I thought things had gotten better ;(

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know, and this is why l have to put Jack in the room on his own because l don't want her thinking it's something she's done?

I hope i'm not tempting fate by saying things are improving, but there wasn't any growls or hissing from either of them last night.

Rosie was curled up by my side on the sofa, and Jack was curled up on my lap. Then l started scritching Rosie's ears, then thought i'd gently rub all over the sides of her face where their scent glands are?.

After doing that for about 10 seconds, l rubbed her scent all over Jacks face and body, then did the same to him, then back to Rosie etc... I did that for about 10 minutes, then 15 minutes later, Rosie stood up and put her front paws on my chest so l started stroking her, then Jack raised his head back towards Rosie, she leant forward and they nose kissed without any hissing for at least several seconds before she curled up at my side again!!

He went to see her upstairs this morning and she hissed at him, but l didn't see what happened and he came straight downstairs.

I think this is going to be a long process, but i'll do the scent transfer every day.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's took just over 2 month's but it looks like their finally back to normal!

Rosie stayed on my bed the entire time because she was obviously scared incase Jack jumped on her again when she was walking around, but she was fine with him on the bed and she still groomed him?.

She refused to walk on the floor, so at breakfast l would put her on the litterbox in the spare room, come in from work in the afternoon put her on the litterbox again, then carry her downstairs to the sofa where she stuck to me like glue, then carry her upstairs again at bedtime, put her on the litterbox, then onto my bed. I didn't want her on her own because l was worried incase she got depressed

I got the bubbles out one day and that made her jump down, then Jack and Sophie started to interact, so l got them out every afternoon.

Last week was the first time she came downstairs on her own, but she was cautious because her back was low when she walked fast from room to room and her eyes were everywhere
Jack still stalked her but l think he was just wondering why she was being like that still?.

Anyway, patience paid off and they seem back to normal now, apart from one thing?. Rosie won't go on their tree anymore since this all happened, so l think that's probably where it started. I've sprayed it with Feliway and she looks at it, but no way will she go near it so i'll have to get another tree for them.

Here's the snuggle buns a couple of nights ago

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yea for Rosie and Jack

I know you put a lot of effort and a lot of patience with helping them work things out and it looks like all that effort paid off. Patience is certainly the key

That pic is too sweet

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hooray!

So glad they are best friends again, and certainly hope it stays that way furever
. Sorry you have to buy a new tree, but it's worth it to have them together again, right? And I guess Sophie has been spared any anxiety from all this?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy to hear things are returning to, well semi normal
. Poor Rosie, how could such a sweet kitty become an innocent target? I'm sure both of you want to know!
I hope Jack is sorry for his misdirected aggression and makes it up to her