*UPDATE* Did Jack get spooked?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's all l can think of anyway?

Bedtime last night. The lights went out and the kids settled down, but 15 minutes later Jack let out such a high pitched yowl like he does when he's ready to be sick, but then started growling?.

I turned the light on and he jumped off the bed to come face to face with Rosie who was sitting in the wardrobe. (I leave one of the wardrobe doors open slightly because Sophie likes to wander in
)

His tail bushed up and Rosie was just sitting watching him wondering what was wrong with him?. I picked Jack up and put him back on the bed, but he watched Rosie like a hawk, and growled at her all the time. He followed her around, again his tail bushed up, and poor Rosie was just looking for a safe place incase he jumped on her.

They finally settled for the night, but Rosie stayed downstairs, but when l got up again this morning we had a repeat performance, only it wasn't as bad. In between growls he makes little meows to Rosie as if to say "I'm your friend but i'm scared of you", so other than thinking Rosie spooked him last night i'm lost???

Rosie's fine, and Jack's fine because he came for his usual cuddles, but still watching Rosie's every movement. He even gave Sophie nose kisses this morning

I decided to let the girls have free reign in the conservatory and kitchen with their litterbox etc while i'm at work, then closed the kitchen door so Jack has the rest of the house on his own, so hopefully when l go home this afternoon he'll be fine with her.

Oh and the Feliway has been sprayed around the house and their blankets, and the vanillas been applied

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does Rosie go in the wardrobe often? If not, maybe Jack thought she was taking over Sophie's usual "hangout"?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Does Rosie go in the wardrobe often? If not, maybe Jack thought she was taking over Sophie's usual "hangout"?
Not really, she'll walk in for a nose around like Jack and Sophie but that's about it.

I think Jack never saw her go in because l never either, then when l put the lights out he saw the Rosie peeping out?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But he yowled and growled while on the bed - and then you turned on the light and he jumped down and poofed his tail and growled at Rosie?

And when you say there was a repeat performance this morning - you mean the yowling and growling - or the poofing at Rosie?

And normally he's fine with Rosie, right? (I recall seeing the three of them snuggled together).

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He was on the edge of the bed when he yowled, and that's when he must have seen Rosie sitting in the wardrobe. I don't know if she had peeked her head out and that's when he saw her, then jumped down with his tail all poofed up and started growling. And the same happened when he spotted her downstairs this morning.

He did the same when l got home this afternoon, but it was more like a long meow with his back sunk low just staring at her???. He did try to jump at her, but she jumped up on the chair and l brought him in the livingroom

Now Rosie's hissing at him because she's obviously on her guard and she won't come in. He's been no bother with Sophie, and i've been going into see Rosie and she's fine other than wondering what she's done.

But it does seem like he got scared last night because before we went to bed they were fine?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Rosie feeling ok? Cats are sensitive and if Rosie is under the weather, or is about to be, maybe Jack senses that? Maybe her scent is off to him.

How was he when Rosie had her tail problems earlier?

Maybe try that vanilla extract on the base of the tail trick?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Is Rosie feeling ok? Cats are sensitive and if Rosie is under the weather, or is about to be, maybe Jack senses that? Maybe her scent is off to him.

Maybe try that vanilla extract on the base of the tail trick?
After reading the clarification, this was my reaction. I can't think of something else that would explain it - other than Jack having gotten spooked!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Is Rosie feeling ok?

Yes she's fine, and they all hissed at each other when they were poorly. The strange thing is they were snuggling together only 30 minutes before this happened???. l did wonder if she was off colour and he sensed it so i've watched her like a hawk since yesterday, but she's been doing everything as normal and even bolts up when she sees me with the treat jar.

Sophie spent all day in the room with her yesterday and she hasn't had any reaction with her?

Last night Jack chased Rosie so she jumped up on the window ledge for safety, and had l not been there i'm sure there would have been fur flying.

I hated doing it, but l closed Rosie in a room on her own to give her some peace when l went to bed, plus l wanted to make sure she was using the litterbox ok , which she is, then this morning sprayed the house with Feliway again. Jack came down and walked slowly into the conservatory where Rosie was. They sat looking at each other giving each other slow blinks with no growling at all, so l thought that was promising, but while l had breakfast, l brought Jack back in because l want to do this slowly. Then l opened up the room again and he sat on the other chair watching her, but again giving her slow blinks.

I've left Rosie and Sophie in the conservatory again while i'm at work, but when l closed the kitchen door Jack was crying to be with them, but l'm not taking a chance. At least i finish early and l have a long weekend to get them bonded again because he does love his Rosie

All l can say though is thank goodness for Feliway, because that's helped a lot!!

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

All l can say though is thank goodness for Feliway, because that's helped a lot!!
Sounds like things are getting back on track. Love to hear it. Feliway has really been a huge help in my household. It's like the miracle elixir for a multitude of problems
You're using the spray then? I use the plug ins because Ramsey had a "pee on the couch" problem a couple of years ago. I credit the Feliway with helping to "cure" this behavioral issue.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by NutroMike

You're using the spray then? I use the plug ins because Ramsey had a "pee on the couch" problem a couple of years ago. I credit the Feliway with helping to "cure" this behavioral issue.
Yes the spay. I've used the plugin as well when we moved house, but sprayed all the rooms in the new house for a couple of days to help them settle in.

Well an even bigger improvement!!. Jack came downstairs and came into the conservatory, looked at Rosie and gave her one of his squeaky meows, it was as if he was saying he was sorry. Rosie looked at him as if to say ' Don't think ill forgive and forget what you did so easily!!'

So were all in the conservatory, Rosies washing herself on one chair, Sophie's asleep on another chair and Jack's curled up beside me asleep on the sofa.

Were getting there.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Yes the spay. I've used the plugin as well when we moved house, but sprayed all the rooms in the new house for a couple of days to help them settle in.

Well an even bigger improvement!!. Jack came downstairs and came into the conservatory, looked at Rosie and gave her one of his squeaky meows, it was as if he was saying he was sorry. Rosie looked at him as if to say ' Don't think ill forgive and forget what you did so easily!!'

So were all in the conservatory, Rosies washing herself on one chair, Sophie's asleep on another chair and Jack's curled up beside me asleep on the sofa.

Were getting there.
I am so glad to hear there has been progress! A disturbance in the 'FORCE' (Rosie, Sophie, and Jack), I would never thought it possible.....They all love each other so much. for peace in the galaxy!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm - are you getting thunderstorms that could be making Jack nervous in general? Maybe everything smelled different because of the volcanic ash cloud?
that everything returns to normal and stays that way.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, no thunderstorms. Like l say they were snuggled on my lap only 30 minutes before this happened and both of them are fine with Sophie???
Because of Jacks behaviour Rosie is cautious, which l know l would be in her position. So if he goes too close to her she hisses at him. He gave out little meep sounds when he went close to her because
he obviously wants to be friends again, but because he's pushing it she's not having any of it, so we had a repeat performance last night

He chased her upstairs so l put him in the conservatory last night for some time out so Rosie could sleep on the bed with Sophiep. He was warm in there with his litter, food and water, but Jack hates being on his own so l thought this would help.

When l got up this morning he darted up to me meowing, so we had a chat!!. I opened the door and there was Rosie, Jack went to sniff her but Rosie hissed and ran off.

Soooo, I'm keeping them in separate rooms while I'm in town and ill sit with them in the conservatory again with the feliway at my side!!!

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, sounds like progress is being made. Glad to hear it. You may never know the full story. Cats have their own little thing going. Even my dogs can't figure out the cats

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by NutroMike

Well, sounds like progress is being made. Glad to hear it. You may never know the full story. Cats have their own little thing going. Even my dogs can't figure out the cats
I hope it never happens again because their all really close, and Rosie's washed them both and loved them like a Mother since they were kittens

The time out on his own did him some good. I came back from town and he was giving his squeeky little meow, looking at Rosie and when she stared back he smarted his eyes giving small blinkies at the same time.

Rosie was scared when this first happened but she's not now. If he went to sniff her tail she hissed at him, and he smarted his eye's again and crouched down. Jack's having to gain her trust again, but their getting there. Rosie's sleeping beside me and Jack's on the sofa just above her

We'll see what this evening brings though

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Were not there yet. Rosie wouldn't come in the livingroom last night and jack wouldn't stop staring at her so its obviously making her uncomfortable. So!, as much as l hated doing it he spent the night in the conservatory again. This morning l let him back in and he came upstairs with me. Rosie and Sophie were on the bed so he nose kissed Sophie then did the same to to Rosie, but then rosie hissed at him so he backed off.

He's upstairs now with her but crouched down about 3' from her.

Baby steps!!!!

EDIT : Just went to check on them again and their still a few feet apart on the bed but sleeping soundly!!