Underweight cat

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old cat is underweight (2/5 body score) but not alarmingly skinny. She has plenty of energy, is bright eyed, and her coat looks healthy, so I don't think there is an underlying health condition. But I'm wondering if she needs more calories.

She currently gets a 3oz can of wet food twice a day and also has free choice access to dry food, which she will nibble on here and there, but not a ton (probably only a cup a week). I'm wondering if I should increase her wet food

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Increase. My cat is healthy buts eats a lot. I am guessing the food I am giving her is too low in fat. I was just looking up about cat food higher in fat and includes all the essential nutrients so I decided on rawz beef. It is unfortunate that she has food allergies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not had her to a vet very recently, but she is UTD on everything (went about 6 months ago). She is spayed and is indoor only but we do have a dog who could bring things in.

The only wet food she likes are the kinds in gravy, which I know are not as caloric or nutrient dense as pates. But I know some wet food is better than no wet food.

Her wet food is nulo and wellness and the dry food is instinct

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old cat is underweight (2/5 body score) but not alarmingly skinny. She has plenty of energy, is bright eyed, and her coat looks healthy, so I don't think there is an underlying health condition. But I'm wondering if she needs more calories.

She currently gets a 3oz can of wet food twice a day and also has free choice access to dry food, which she will nibble on here and there, but not a ton (probably only a cup a week). I'm wondering if I should increase her wet food
How much fat is in a 3 oz can? I go by this to get nutritional content
Catfooddb.com

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A normal active indoor cat requires around 200 - 250 calories per day. You can check on the can food where it'll state how many calories are there. Feeding wet food will keep her fuller and also hydrated.

As long as you run your hand along her sides and feel with your fingers and she's not boney, she's ok. A little feel of the bones is ok but not extremely boney.

Here's a chart for a guide :-
Q2FPH.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom yes, as mentioned in original post, she's a 2 on that scale as evaluated by myself and others. She is very boney to the touch. She has not had recent weight loss, but rather has always been at a 2. She is getting 300 calories of wet food and then also has access to dry

maggie101 maggie101 her wet food is 5% fat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are just naturally thin despite how much or how little they eat, kind of like people. As long as the cat is eating and isn't emaciated, I wouldn't worry about it.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
yes, as mentioned in original post, she's a 2 on that scale as evaluated by myself and others. She is very boney to the touch. She has not had recent weight loss, but rather has always been at a 2. She is getting 300 calories of wet food and then also has access to dry
As long as there's no health issues and no weight loss, I guess you don't have to worry that much.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just naturally thin no matter what. I had a cat who was at a two on that scale all her life (until she developed CKD in old age and became even thinner) but she was healthy for the majority of her life. I occasionally tried to get her to gain weight without success, but in retrospect, it wasn't necessary. She lived to be 19 and had very few health problems.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A normal active indoor cat requires around 200 - 250 calories per day. You can check on the can food where it'll state how many calories are there. Feeding wet food will keep her fuller and also hydrated.

As long as you run your hand along her sides and feel with your fingers and she's not boney, she's ok. A little feel of the bones is ok but not extremely boney.

Here's a chart for a guide :-
View attachment 417048
It is confusing . My cat is at a healthy weight. I feed her a 6oz can 124 cal,62% Fat. She eats 2+ cans. I assume not enough fat so she keeps eating? Other food higher in fat she eats one a day

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The scale doesn't account for the primordial pouch found on most cats either. My cats are at an ideal weight but look like a 3 from above but a 4 from the side, just because the pouch hangs down.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The scale doesn't account for the primordial pouch found on most cats either. My cats are at an ideal weight but look like a 3 from above but a 4 from the side, just because the pouch hangs down.
I was going to point out the same thing.

blob99, if your cat is energetic, bright eyed and has a good coat, you've noting to worry about. I suggest getting her to the vet for her annual checkup.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It is confusing . My cat is at a healthy weight. I feed her a 6oz can 124 cal,62% Fat. She eats 2+ cans. I assume not enough fat so she keeps eating? Other food higher in fat she eats one a day
Basically, we don't have to be too precise on the weight of the cat. That chart is just a guide line and to me, if my boy is healthy, playing, eating and sleeping and pooping and peeing normal, I'm not concern on his weight at all.

He is a lean boy and I would like him to be a little more pudgy but it's not happening and also he is not loosing weight nor boney. Some cats are on a leaner side and some are on the pudgy side and I think it's normal.

Let's not beat ourselves up as long as we give them enough to eat and they are healthy and give them lots of love.