Two questions for the same kitty

smg680

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ever since her last vet visit, Sassy has been given her own room to reduce stress from Pretty Kitty and Shadow being mean toward her. We've put in a litter box, which she uses most of the time (and I'll address the 'most of the time' part in a bit), her food and water dishes, toys I've bought her, and even a night light and a radio, which she and I both enjoy singing with! I do take her downstairs for a few minutes every night and during the day, so she doesn't feel trapped, but after I put her back in her room and say goodnight is when the problems start. I keep the door closed at night so Shadow and Pretty don't get in and disturb Sassy. They've both come in the room before, but I've been there to supervise them. I also try and come in and keep Sassy company for a while, but she still cries at night. I bought some little catnip-like chews online to deal with one of our un-fixed cats, but he hasn't eaten them yet, but I've given a few to Sassy, but I'm not sure if they work. I also bought this Feliway spray to keep her calm, but I'm open to more suggestions. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep Sassy calm at night?

Now onto the litter box. Sassy uses it for 'number 1', but I've often had to clean up 'number 2' since it's on the blanket we put on the bed to try and keep the litter off the bed, since that's where we put the litterbox. My dad put a blue tarp-like cover on the bed and we put the litterbox on top of it, similar to puppy-training pads. A few times, I've seen 'number 2' in the litterbox (good Sassy!), but sometimes she goes outside the box. I also got an unpleasant surprise when I spent the night in Sassy's room with her recently and learned that she pooped on one of the pillows on the bed. Luckily, I wasn't laying on that pillow, but I was close to it (I immediately took a shower just in case! Good news; no poop in my hair!). I bought something called 'Litter Magnet' to help her use the litterbox for pooping, and I thought it works, even though it's my first time using that. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will do that when they are upset. You might try two litterboxes for a while too, maybe with a different litter. some cats like number one in one box and number two in another! i really think this will resolve in time.
You might try supervising a few more frequent visits with the other cats for a time, growling, hissing and swatting are all normal, outright attacks that draw blood are not. You might get some calming treats on Amazon and give it to all of them to lessen any stress they are having. Usually, the day will come when she gets confident enough to stand up to those two little bullies and the dynamics will change. Make sure there are high places she can escape to around the house. A cat tree is good.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Or a bigger one. My cat does the same thing and the one in my bedroom is small so I have ordered a storage bin

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went back to see your other threads to better understand what is going on, although I am not still completely clear. Kitty peeing on stairs | TheCatSite

As I understand it, it was viewed as Sassy used to be a bully, although I am not sure I understand how that was originally determined. Nonetheless, something happened and now it is viewed that Sassy is being bullied by Pretty Kitty and Shadow. I know the vet suggested Sassy needed her own private litter box likely due to stress from being bullied by the other two. However, somehow this has morphed into Sassy being confined to a room all by herself most of the time?? It's no wonder that she cries at night, with being alone other than when you visit with her or take her downstairs for a brief visit. This is especially true if she was once able to be around people most of the time. Is it possible to swap sites so that Sassy has some free time while the other cats are confined?

What testing was done on Sassy when she was at the vets? This all sounds to me like there may be a health issue going on with Sassy - that does not appear to have been identified - which might be causing the other cats to bully her. Sometimes scents change in an ill cat and other cats can pick up on it.

If not a health-related issue, then it is an emotional one. Confining her is only adding to her emotional woes. You've gotten some suggestions about the litter box, so I won't add to that. But I honestly think that the litter box problem isn't going to be resolved until the other issues that are going on are addressed.

You also have at least one other cat - at last I knew an intact male, and if that is still the case, it is adding to the whole set of issues. Not just for Sassy, but possibly the other cats as well. Have you ever considered re-homing Sassy to a trusted family member, friend, etc.? Maybe she just doesn't need to be in the mix of your family pet dynamic?

Forgive me if I have missed something in my trying to understand all the nuances.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would go with site swapping, too. See if Sassy is happier having some "free house time" while the others are confined (and I would definitely get the unfixed cat fixed ASAP, as it can take months for those hormones to dwindle off completely.)
My Mom has two cats that hate each other. One has the run of the majority of the house during the day, and the other has a small section they are happy to be in during the day. At night, the cat who has the run of the majority of the house is confined so the other cat can have some free roaming time, too. It seems to keep them both happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smg680

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice. I try not to leave her confined all day; I take her out of the room so she can spend some quality time with the family and her sisters and have a few snacks. I took her out tonight, and she was very well behaved.

There was one exception, when she was hissing and growling at Bob, but I think that's because they don't interact as much, since he lives in our breezeway, but he often comes in to eat and socialize (he's friendly with Little Mama, and don't worry; Sassy, Pretty, Shadow, Bob, and Little Mama are all fixed). I was petting her to keep her calm, and telling her that Bob's a nice kitty, he's part of the family just like she is, and we love all our kitties equally. It also helped that I was petting her, and Dad was petting Bob. All of us were even watching a movie together, and Bob was even licking Sassy.