Kitty peeing on stairs

smg680

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on some previous posts: I said that my dad and I took Sassy to Ambre's old vet to ask her about why Sassy poops outside the litterbox. We told her that Sassy's been having issues with pooping and peeing outside the litterbox. The vet said that it might be stress related, and also that she's being bullied now by her sisters, since she used to be the one who bullied them, and she won't go near the litter boxes in the basement. The vet suggested that Sassy has her own personal litterbox in a private room, and she seems to be okay with that. I think she's even used it once (fingers crossed).

Today, however, was a different story. Sassy has a habit of jumping up on not just the table, but on me and my family, and her claws hurt. This morning, I heard my mom yell out her name, and she told me that Sassy had clawed her leg. Naturally, I put her in the basement for 'timeout', but it turns out we had to keep her there for a longer time than normal, mostly because we were cooking, and I don't want to have the kitties underfoot while we do that, so Shadow and Pretty followed her downstairs. We also kept them in the basement so they wouldn't be underfoot when Mom had to do some exercises. We let them up again afterwards, of course, but I started seeing some wet patches on the basement stairs, which I immediately cleaned up. I don't want to rat Sassy out to Mom and Dad, but what can we do to keep this from happening again?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly if she has her own litter box in a safe place and she has been using it then the basement was not even her fault.
She was down there with the others that bully her so she didn't have that security to be able to use (I guess there's a litter box in rhe basement) the one in rhe basement.

Also I wouldn't put her in timeout for jumping up on your guys lap that is her giving you guys love and affection.

Her claws probably just need trimmed. Are you able to do that? Also maybe kitty caps could be utilized? The vet or a groomer will put them on and it doesn't cost much.

Please keep timeout for something that is a serious behavioral issue not for her trying to love on you guys. I understand your mom got scratched but it's kind of part of it when they are on us and have sharp claws unfortunately lol

I think with the peeing on the stairs though is not her fault. Just see if she continues using her safe place litterbox. If so then nothing needs done about the accident in the basement. Because that is exactly what that was an accident because she didn't feel safe and secure to be able to use the litterbox. Also are you 100 percent sure it was her that had the accident on the stairs? Could it possibly have been one of the others? Just trying to look at it from all angles.

I hope this helps to put your mind at ease about the peeing on the steps for now. I also hope giving the suggestion of cutting her nails and using kitty caps will help if you're able to do that. I'd hate to see her keep getting punished for trying to just love on you guys.

Please keep us posted. Stay positive that she will continue using her safe place litterbox 😺❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smg680

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that there are actually two litterboxes down in the basement. Sassy has her choice of using either one, so if she sees Shadow or Pretty using one, she can use the other one. Also, I mentioned before that I got some things to help with the claws, but I was shot down at every turn with them.

As for the jumping, it's not just on our laps, When we're standing, she climbs up our backs and onto our shoulders (my family and I are 5-to-6 feet tall. And get this; when he was a kitten, Ambre climbed a 40-foot tree in our yard, then had to jump down onto a blanket my mom and I were holding out, and he walked away without a scratch on him.).

And as for the timeouts, we try not to use those very often, but if we're doing something like unloading the car, we're going in and out all the time, and we don't want to be tripping over the kitties. If we're cooking, we don't want to spill anything on them, or us, and hurt anyone. Ambre used to go to the basement at night, but that stopped after I got hurt.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that there are actually two litterboxes down in the basement. Sassy has her choice of using either one, so if she sees Shadow or Pretty using one, she can use the other one. Also, I mentioned before that I got some things to help with the claws, but I was shot down at every turn with them.

As for the jumping, it's not just on our laps, When we're standing, she climbs up our backs and onto our shoulders (my family and I are 5-to-6 feet tall. And get this; when he was a kitten, Ambre climbed a 40-foot tree in our yard, then had to jump down onto a blanket my mom and I were holding out, and he walked away without a scratch on him.).

And as for the timeouts, we try not to use those very often, but if we're doing something like unloading the car, we're going in and out all the time, and we don't want to be tripping over the kitties. If we're cooking, we don't want to spill anything on them, or us, and hurt anyone. Ambre used to go to the basement at night, but that stopped after I got hurt.
I understand putting them up while doing things like bringing groceries in cooking etc.. but can you put Sassy in your room or wherever her safe place is away from the other 2? Even though there are 2 litterboxes down in the basement if Sassy is scared she will not use them just try to understand the why is all I'm asking.
You noticed giving her her own box in her own space and she uses it. Then all of them in one area she had an accident I think I would look at it from her point of being scared not feeling safe enough with them both around. I hope that makes sense.
And what do you mean you got some things to help with the claws but we're shot down?
Has sassy had another accident since being out of the basement?
Would you from now on be able to put sassy in her safe space and put the others in the basement when doing things that call for them being put somewhere?

And holy moley guacamole that's a long distance up in a tree I'm so glad the blanket worked!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats back claws do not retract like their front claws, so if the claws are not trimmed regularly, they can cause scratches on people and other things. I, too, don't know what you mean about getting some things to help with the claws but were shot down - a pair of clippers is inconsequential in terms of cost. You just have to learn how to use them.

I am not sure you are having success with a separate litter box for Sassy if you only think she might have used it once - but as mentioned above keeping her in the basement with the other cats is probably not going to help matters. The whole point in giving her a private space of her own with a litter box was to stop her behavior, especially if it involves bullying from the other cats. So, just because there are two litter boxes in the basement - that all the cats can access - doesn't mean Sassy isn't still feeing intimidated and uncomfortable trying to use one of them.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she has litter box avoidance in the basement, and you put her in the basement, why are you surprised she didn't use those boxes? I don't understand the confusion.

If you insist on time outs, she will need a separate time out with access to her personal litterbox.

You won't have success with Sassy's litter if you continue to lock her in a room away from it.

I also would never recommended locking a cat in a space with another cat who is bullying them.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Timeouts for cats are a time to reset & focus on something else. 15-30 minutes max. If you put her in time out, put her in the room with the litter box she uses. I suggest if you see her hunting you, you toss a small toy away from you. A loud high pitch ooooowwwww followed by blankly ignoring your cat for 5-15 minutes works better than a time out to teach a cat that they are hurting you. I suggest an ow at even a hint of fang or claws. Also trim her claws. Please be sure you give her lots of high up places to be.

⭐increase your house’s vertical space so there is more territory. More territory & no dead ends, mean less cat fights.

Also remove all the lids from the litter boxes. That way she can’t be trapped inside the box by a bully cat, as she goes. Be sure to use an enzyme cleaner. I suggest getting a blacklight, if it glows, clean it with the enzyme cleaner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smg680

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dad and I let her out for a little while so she can get some food and fresh air, but we keep an eye on the other cats. But she always goes back in her room at night. She has her own food bowl, her own water bowl, some little toys, of course her litterbox, and even a nightlight in there.

Speaking of the litter boxes, I've got another question. Sassy is good about peeing in the litterbox in her room, but she still sometimes poops on the blanket it's under. The blanket can easily be washed, but I want to know why she won't poop in the litterbox. What can I use to tell her to poop in the litterbox? I thought she might be nervous about something, so I bought Feliway spray online, and it seemed to work for a while. Should I spray something around the litterbox to tempt Sassy to use it instead of the blanket?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When is the last time she was seen by the vet? Has she had any issues with constipation or anything tummy related? If so and she has any pain while having a BM then cats associate the litterbox hurting them while pooping not that it is hurting because of whatever is going on with them. This can cause litterbox avoidance even if a cat feels better later on. I would personally get rid of the blanket all together. If you are worried about her still going outside the litterbox I would put down puppy pads or something. Not something soft like a blanket though. Also when she does go poop outside the litter box put it inside the litter box.
There is also cat attract litter you could try
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PKY7YA/?tag=thecatsite