Trying to convert Kyle & Kegan

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can actually add water to the Natures Variety or Primal or whatever commercial raw you are feeding them to make it more soupy.  I always did, because it just looked "dry".  And there is certainly nothing wrong with just feeding them canned/raw mix forever.    They are still getting many benefits from it, don't you think?  Are you noticing a difference in their coats, the size of their poops.  Are they more active?  Are their attitudes better?  (course, with some kibble you may not notice as much change
, but I'm guessing you are!)

BTW, with my two raw eaters, twice a week I feed them canned mixed with a little raw, just because I don't want them to forget what canned food is, in case of emergencies! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dear Diary:

Three months later and we are still doing some weird mixing of canned and raw together.  I have taken to splitting the cans into thirds and adding three heaping Tbsp of raw to it, but I am still mixing.  It seems like it just isn't dinner to them without the canned gravy.  They eat the raw bites as afternoon treats regularly, but when offered alone for dinner, they look like "where's the rest of it?"

I have at least moved up the quality of the canned food - I am not sure they like the Nature's Variety canned food any more than the Little Friskies at 5x the price.  I just stopped at one of the two stores which sells the frozen raw today and scrounged up one bag of beef, they were out of turkey - Oy vey!

Also, on that issue of vacations - I just took a four-day car trip and did not hire a babysitter.  I put out a giant bowl of kibble and an equally big bowl of Primal freeze-dried chicken cakes.  To my surprise, when I got home the freeze-dried chicken was entirely gone and the kibble was only down a third.  Prior to this, the reception on freeze-dried had been very tepid.  Interesting, the Primal freeze-dried is the same size bag as the 3# frozen and about the same price, but weighs considerably less.  It's like they just took a bag of frozen raw cakes and nuked them into dust cakes.  I wonder how the nutrition compares between the two (fd vs. raw)?

So bottom line is I'm stocking everything: kibble, freeze-dried, canned and raw.  The kibble usage is way, way down and the tiniest bag they sell lasts me a couple of months.  I am serving out the kibble in a side dish portion like potato chips along with a sandwich.  I make them ask me for it and dole out a tiny handful every so often between meals.

Oh, yes and we have been eating up the vast reserves of Kinney's baby food.  Prior to Kinney's illness, he primarily ate baby food (pampered!) and I have jars and jars left over.  The brothers think this is the utmost delicacy and formerly only got to lick Kin-Kin's leftovers.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:heart2:

I'm glad all went well on the short trip. Very interesting they ate the freeze dried first!

I read through probably a little too quickly to catch up, but have you tried mashing up the NV bites and adding warm water instead of adding canned? For my cats, temperature and texture were an important part of getting to 100% raw.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I do not have any words of wisdom on this matter, I do appreciate the update. I've been wondering how this has been going.