Trying to convert Kyle & Kegan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Success!  And they both looked so much happier they got their full meal in.

What do you think?  How much time at this "dose" before increasing to the fatal 1/2 tsp?

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am even sneaking a boullion cube size of raw into Kinney-Kin's bowl.  He only eats 1/4 can of A/D at a time.  A previously unimaginable feat!!

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whizzing through my four flavors with the 1/4 tsp raw "dosing".  Apparently it is undetectable to their tender noses.  Once I get to the bottom of the pile tomorrow, maybe I will live dangerously and try 1/2 tsp.  To my amazement, I have even been getting Kinney to eat raw mixed into his A/D - he is already up to the 1/2 tsp (per 1/4 can).  A previously unimaginable feat.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tonight's the big night - we're moving up to 1/2 tsp.

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cool thing is that once they learn that raw is a smell that they associate with food, it will get easier.  It's not that they don't smell it, it's that it is becoming familiar at meal time.  The trick will be eliminating the canned food completely.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ready to move up to 1 tsp. raw per serving with Kyle/Kegan who I thought would be an instant shoo-in.  I will just progress step by step with them and their usual four flavors.  Clean bowls so far.

The real surprise has been the picky prince Kinney who is already at about a 50/50 ratio of raw to canned (SD A/D, which he has decided he loves).  I would never have thought I could get him to eat a single lick of raw and he is probably the one who would benefit the most.

I read the whole 26 page LDG thread (OMG!) on the transition to raw with all the mixes, combos, and toppers for the family of 8!  Including butchering of whole rabbits!!  Who could keep all that straight?

I guess my plan is to do this with kibble still being offered along with the raw transition.  After I think Kinney is out of the woods with his weight, we will see about taking the kibble proportions down a little at a time.

At least we're not having dismal failures like before, so I am happy with the slow progress knowing we'll get there someday.  What comes after 1 tsp?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm SO glad Kinney has taken to raw so well.  It's odd, my rainbow cat, Sven,was 16 when we switched to raw, and I never thought he'd like it, particularly because he also suffered from kidney disease, which really effects their appetite, but he was the first one to go for it.  Sadly, the switchover was too late for him, as he was literally in his last few weeks when we made the switch.   But he got to enjoy some great food at the end.

Now, as to what comes after 1 teas., I'd jump up to 1 1/2 teap and see what happens, and if they readily accept it, then I'd just keep increasing.  If they ever balk at what you've given them, then stop increasing immediately and stay at what they accept for a few meals before trying to increase again (or you may even need to decrease slightly if they give you a hassle).  It sounds, though, like their doing well and figuring out that it's FOOD

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are reducing the amount of canned fed with the raw as you increase the amount of raw food?

...and wow, reading my transition thread must have either given you a headache or put you to sleep. :lol3: Part of my problem was I didn't know how much raw food they should be eating. Finally got it worked out. :lol3:

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, I am not reducing the amount of canned to make up for the raw - we're only at 1 tsp.  I hadn't thought of when we get further along and larger amounts of raw increase the total amount being served.  I probably have a few weeks to consider that.  I guess after a while, I could delete the same amount of canned that I am adding in raw qtys. (add 3 Tbps. raw, delete 3 Tbps. canned)  Do we think that is important?  I was thinking that some point they would just dig in without me having to keep diluting..

They didn't have a problem with the 1 tsp. tonight.  Tried offering a small amount of same flavor raw undiluted off in its own dish on the side (in case they wanted to skip ahead) - no go..

The picture of the skinned whole rabbit reminded me of my father skinning rabbits that he had hunted when I was a boy.  I absolutely could not watch him do it.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read the whole 26 page LDG thread (OMG!) on the transition to raw with all the mixes, combos, and toppers for the family of 8!  Including butchering of whole rabbits!!  Who could keep all that straight?
Exactly my thoughts! I, too, read LDG's entire thread on the transition. Holy crap! 
  I think I would've lost my mind.

I'm now following your thread, Dan32, because I'll be going through the exact same motions in the near future with my three senior boys.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GoHolistic: It's harder than I would've imagined.  These guys have always flirted around with licking bloody packages, raw eggs left in a dish from an omelette, little bite of hamburger as I am making patties.  Apparently, it was all just an act!  Now I find myself trying to trick them into eating natural raw foods.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GoHolistic: It's harder than I would've imagined.  These guys have always flirted around with licking bloody packages, raw eggs left in a dish from an omelette, little bite of hamburger as I am making patties.  Apparently, it was all just an act!  Now I find myself trying to trick them into eating natural raw foods.
I'll admit...I don't look forward to it. I'm still struggling to get them to finish all their canned food and wean them off of dry.