Trying to bring in an outdoor cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi girls I just want to give you an update on my outdoor cat bell. He is doing great in the house . And him and my cat gwen are doing well together. They are not best buddy's but I don't think that will ever happen. They sleep together at night. Yahoo that's a start. Bell has been going out and just staying on the deck for about a hour at a time. At one point I could not find her an panicked. Here we go again. But as soon as I called his name he came right back. He let me open his mouth I wanted to check his teeth and I noticed he had no teeth in the front. Just his i teeth. He must be old. He loves me so much . He follows be every were I go in the house like a dog would follow. He is very attached to the hip. My husband can't believe it. Haha glad things are going well with you girls and of course your special Angels. Oh am we are not going to conn this weekend so I don't have to stress out about what to with bell. Judy I can't believe we are getting more snow tonite. When is it ever going to end.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi girls I just want to give you an update on my outdoor cat bell. He is doing great in the house . And him and my cat gwen are doing well together. They are not best buddy's but I don't think that will ever happen. They sleep together at night. Yahoo that's a start. Bell has been going out and just staying on the deck for about a hour at a time. At one point I could not find her an panicked. Here we go again. But as soon as I called his name he came right back. He let me open his mouth I wanted to check his teeth and I noticed he had no teeth in the front. Just his i teeth. He must be old. He loves me so much . He follows be every were I go in the house like a dog would follow. He is very attached to the hip. My husband can't believe it. Haha glad things are going well with you girls and of course your special Angels. Oh am we are not going to conn this weekend so I don't have to stress out about what to with bell. Judy I can't believe we are getting more snow tonite. When is it ever going to end.
That's great Linda. I wish mine loved me like that. Any improvement with bell and your husband yet?
hugs to you.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fine thanks. My friend left last week and I am now trying to keep my house in order which isn't easy with a dog and cat running around! I hope the vet can prescribe something for Pi's eye when he sees the photo. He really needs some kind of medicine. Then the challenge will be for me to apply it. Oh boy! Today I emailed the woman from Pet Rescue who trapped Pi last September for neutering and getting his shots. She said she is going to try to find a vet in the area who makes house calls. I honestly didn't think they existed. But if they do I imagine they are VERY expensive. We'll see what she finds out.

This afternoon when I took Happy outside for a few minutes we went in the front yard (now full of frozen snow.) Pi was on the back of the sofa looking at us out the bay window and not only did he have his paws on his hips he was also tapping his hind foot (paw) on the sofa!
LOL with two cats staring at me like I'm mad!
Better to pay the extra than stress both of you out.
Good luck if she finds someone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys I just had a brainstorm! In 2014 I had cataract surgery (both eyes and now I see like a hawk) and I still have an almost full tube of Erythromycin Ophthalmic Oinment (.5%). Its an antibiotic used for bacterial infections of the eye. My eye surgeon had me use that every night for 1 week prior to the surgery to keep any type of infection from starting. Anyway, I looked it up on a Veterinary website and this ointment is safe to use for cats as well as dogs and humans. The Vet on the website said to apply it every 12 hours for 10 days. He also said I should have my Vet take a look at the eye of course. So I will start today and tell my Vet tomorrow when I show him the photo. He may say to continue or prescribe something else but my hunch is he'll just say to continue with the ointment I have. Hope it works! And, by the way, his eye looks a lot better today so I'm pretty sure the boric acid solution I've been swabbing on his eye is helping.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow you are making great progress Linda! You're right, if Bell is missing so many teeth he is probably quite old--a lot older than you thought he was. That's more than likely why he doesn't want to roam any more. I hope that when I do let Pi out again he won't want to go far and for a long time. But, that isn't even an option right now that he has an eye infection and we have more snow on the way. NO I CAN'T BELIEVE MORE SNOW!!!! This has been the worst winter and I thought January/February 2014 was bad! He'll be inside until we start getting better weather then I'll have to make the big decision about his going outside again. I know it would be better for my peace of mind to make him and indoor only cat. But, I have to take his feelings into serious consideration as well. I want a happy cat after all. If he would just stay in my yard and the yards of my near neighbors all would be fine. He has never shown a propensity to go out to the road but there is always a first time and that could be a disaster. So, I have a hard choice in front of me at a future date.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is great brain storming about the eye meds. It just might be a cold in his eyes. Just think if it was not for a terrible winter we would have never had our babies in the house. This is the worst winter and cold winter we ever had.
So guess what . Me and my husband went out for two hours today and we keep the two cats together. I left the bedroom door open so bell could roam. We were so afraid to see what we would find and when we opened the door they were fine. Stewball bell is still very afraid of my husband. Maybe he remembers when he first came to our deck. But it is funny because when we all go to sleep at night he sleeps right by my husbands feet. It is so cute.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great brain storming about the eye meds. It just might be a cold in his eyes. Just think if it was not for a terrible winter we would have never had our babies in the house. This is the worst winter and cold winter we ever had.
So guess what . Me and my husband went out for two hours today and we keep the two cats together. I left the bedroom door open so bell could roam. We were so afraid to see what we would find and when we opened the door they were fine. Stewball bell is still very afraid of my husband. Maybe he remembers when he first came to our deck. But it is funny because when we all go to sleep at night he sleeps right by my husbands feet. It is so cute.
That is sweet.
Has he been feeding him treats?
You poor lot. On Saturday was the Tel Aviv marathon which started at 5.30th because of the weather. Too hot. Eventually it was stopped with oropl

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is sweet.
Has he been feeding him treats?
You poor lot. On Saturday was the Tel Aviv marathon which started at 5.30th because of the weather. Too hot. Eventually it was stopped with oropl
sorry.. people being told to stop.running but allowed to finish by walking. Quite a few people taken to hospital in serious condition. The temperature hit 28[emoji]174[/emoji]C. In February. Ridiculous. Cooler today thank goodness.
Bell must be so happy to be out of the cold, in a warm house, comfortable beds, on tap food and a sibling besides a mum and dad.
Lucky bell. I'd never let him out again if I were you.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And he's such a sweet boy too. I am amazed at how affectionate he is after living outside for the first year of his life until the last 3 weeks. I wish I knew his origin. He wants so much to be friends with Happy--he really likes him. But after 3 weeks of the "interloper" Happy is a bit grumpy. If Pi gets too close to him Happy will sometimes bark and run after him. I am hoping to stop that behavior as Pi is just trying to be friends and Happy was doing very well with it at first. I guess we've all be cooped up in the house too long with all the snow and cold outside. March is about to begin and I am so hoping that by mid month we will start to see an early Spring. I feel I should still keep Pi inside until I can get his eye problem taken care of because when I do let him out again I'm not sure he will come back right away. He has missed roaming his territory I know it.
You don't know it. You think you do.
When you take happy out does pi make a wild dash for the door? Does he stand by the door meowing loudly and scratching at it or is he just watching you take happy out with a look you imagine is a glare?
He seems perfectly happy at home so don't even think about letting him out. I think you're just feeling a bit guilty for no reason. Just relax. Happy will calm down again. Don't worry.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think my Nemo has cabin fever. He is chasing both cats all over the house. He went after my indoor cat and she was so frighten. My dog Nemo needs . Walks. I take he two times a day when we had nice weather. But I am worried about black ice. Ug and we are again getting more snow. It was so sunny out today an my bell did not want to go out. I opened the door a couple of times today but he wanted to stay in. I hope he chooses to be an indoor cat. And my Nemo needs his 20 min walks. How much longer will this weather last.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You don't know it. You think you do.
When you take happy out does pi make a wild dash for the door? Does he stand by the door meowing loudly and scratching at it or is he just watching you take happy out with a look you imagine is a glare?
He seems perfectly happy at home so don't even think about letting him out. I think you're just feeling a bit guilty for no reason. Just relax. Happy will calm down again. Don't worry.
Stewball, you're probably right. However Pi does run for the door sometimes when I open it. That's why I think he wants to go out. Today I took a photo of Pi to the vet – – the photo I showed you online. He looked at it and said he couldn't actually make a diagnosis from it because he couldn't see if there was an ulcer on the eye or not. But, he did say it was probably a bacterial infection such as conjunctivitis. He said the erythromycin would be fine to use if I could get it in the eye. And if I can I should use it three times a day until the infection goes away. He said the boric acid was also good. He would not prescribe anything stronger because he was not able to see the cat in person.

I asked him his opinion about my letting the cat out again after the weather clears up. I think you'll be interested in his answer. He said if I saw what they see in the veterinary hospital with regard to cats who are allowed to roam I wouldn't want to let him go out again. He said so many are run over by cars or killed or maimed by coyotes, raccoons or other animals that it just isn't worth it. He then suggested that if I really wanted him to go out I get a kitty harness and very long leash and take him out In the yard and let him walk around while I sit and read the paper or something like that. That's not a bad idea and I might just do it.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think my Nemo has cabin fever. He is chasing both cats all over the house. He went after my indoor cat and she was so frighten. My dog Nemo needs . Walks. I take he two times a day when we had nice weather. But I am worried about black ice. Ug and we are again getting more snow. It was so sunny out today an my bell did not want to go out. I opened the door a couple of times today but he wanted to stay in. I hope he chooses to be an indoor cat. And my Nemo needs his 20 min walks. How much longer will this weather last.
Sounds like he's already made the choice to be indoors Linda. Yes more snow I can't believe it! They say 2 more storms this week!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stewball, you're probably right. However Pi does run for the door sometimes when I open it. That's why I think he wants to go out. Today I took a photo of Pi to the vet – – the photo I showed you online. He looked at it and said he couldn't actually make a diagnosis from it because he couldn't see if there was an ulcer on the eye or not. But, he did say it was probably a bacterial infection such as conjunctivitis. He said the erythromycin would be fine to use if I could get it in the eye. And if I can I should use it three times a day until the infection goes away. He said the boric acid was also good. He would not prescribe anything stronger because he was not able to see the cat in person.

I asked him his opinion about my letting the cat out again after the weather clears up. I think you'll be interested in his answer. He said if I saw what they see in the veterinary hospital with regard to cats who are allowed to roam I wouldn't want to let him go out again. He said so many are run over by cars or killed or maimed by coyotes, raccoons or other animals that it just isn't worth it. He then suggested that if I really wanted him to go out I get a kitty harness and very long leash and take him out In the yard and let him walk around while I sit and read the paper or something like that. That's not a bad idea and I might just do it.
I see the vet and I are in complete agreement.
I like his suggestion. Does pi wear a collar?

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see the vet and I are in complete agreement.
I like his suggestion. Does pi wear a collar?
No Pi doesn't wear a collar. Happy doesn't wear a collar either. He wears a harness when I take him out. He also has a chip in him so if he ever did get out of the house and found by someone he could be traced back to me. Eventually I will have a chip put in Pi as well--when I can finally manage to get him to the vet. BTW I didn't hear back from the Pet Rescue woman yet so I Googled to see if there are vets in my area who make house calls. There is a veterinary hospital one town away from me that says they make house calls. I'll have to look into it. Maybe Pi will end up with a different vet from Happy.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No Pi doesn't wear a collar. Happy doesn't wear a collar either. He wears a harness when I take him out. He also has a chip in him so if he ever did get out of the house and found by someone he could be traced back to me. Eventually I will have a chip put in Pi as well--when I can finally manage to get him to the vet. BTW I didn't hear back from the Pet Rescue woman yet so I Googled to see if there are vets in my area who make house calls. There is a veterinary hospital one town away from me that says they make house calls. I'll have to look into it. Maybe Pi will end up with a different vet from Happy.
That's good to know. I pay an extra $25 for my vet to come to me. That was when lotto wasn't well.
It may take time for Pi to get used to wearing a harness.
Poor little blighty is wondering about calling whisky to come and play. Sweet boyml.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So cute stewball with our 2 cats. Bell is so sweet and so afraid of gwen. Gwen is a little bully.

I like what the vet said too Judy. He is right about other animals. Over the 8 years of having bell outside I saw him fight with other cats and raccoons coming right at him to steel his food. I would worry every night when I closed the front door and left him out for the night. I would hear cats fighting with him. I am pretty lucky now. He just hangs out on the deck with Nemo. I hope he does not want to go out when the spring comes. I have to get a chip for Nemo. Nemo always wear a collar and a Harness too. He is a runner. We have a lot if deer and we call him the deer hunter. Haha one time he got away from me when he saw a deer and he ran and ran in the woods . Lucky his leash got wrapped around a tree and I heard him crying. That's how I got him.

Stewball I can't believe how hot is was were you live. Did you do the run too? Why did they not cancel the race because of the heat.?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cute stewball with our 2 cats. Bell is so sweet and so afraid of gwen. Gwen is a little bully.

I like what the vet said too Judy. He is right about other animals. Over the 8years of having bell outside I saw him fight with other cats and raccoons coming right at him to steel his food. I would worry every night when I closed the front door and left him out for the night. I would hear cats fighting with him. I am pretty lucky now. He just hangs out on the deck with Nemo. I hope he does not want to go out when the spring comes. I have to get a chip for Nemo. Nemo always wear a collar and a Harness too. He is a runner. We have a lot if deer and we call him the deer hunter. Haha one time he got away from me when he saw a deer and he ran and ran in the woods . Lucky his leash got wrapped around a tree and I heard him crying. That's how I got him.

Stewball I can't believe how hot is was were you live. Did you do the run too? Why did they not cancel the race because of the heat.?
Lol linda. Me run? My family would be ROTH if they heard that. I hate walking even let alone running. It shouldn't have been so hot at this time of the year and they started the marathon at 5.30am instead of 8-9am to try to avoid the heat. The winner took a bit over 2 hours to finish. The last marathon the weather was ridiculous and I think 2 people died.
Don't even give bell the option of going out when spring comes. Have you tried putting the harness on him to see if he'll
walk with it in the house?

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to get a harness for Pi soon and start him wearing it a little bit each day in the house now before Spring gets here. Then by the time it does he shouldn't mind when I put it on him to go out. In addition to that he sees that I put a harness and leash on Happy so he MAY accept it. MAYBE.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm continuing to bathe his eye with a mild boric acid solution 3 times daily followed by a bit of erythromycin ophthalmic ointment. He allows me to do it and acts as if it feels good--soothing. I think the eye is starting to look better and no longer has that yellowish white discharge. What you see in the corner of his eye in this photo is the ointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.