Trying to bring in an outdoor cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stewball. Yes I've seen that style. It was about $15 here. The one in my photo was under $5. I have it in my dining room where Pi likes to hang out. I don't want him scratching the carpet.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hip, Hip HOORAY! Got the test results back from the Vet today and Pi is now worm free!

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pipi that's great. So happy for your wonderful black pipi. Your a good mom[emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128516[/emoji][emoji]128515[/emoji][emoji]128515[/emoji][emoji]128515[/emoji][emoji]128515[/emoji][emoji]128515[/emoji][emoji]128515[/emoji]

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks stewball. I never saw that before. All three are my dog gwen and bell.
My two love them and one kitty I had for 16 years loved my furniture until I got one of those. Had I known I could have saved my poor furniture. She went mad about it. So ridiculously expensive here.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The snow looks beautiful.
I didn't know you have a dog as well Linda. What sort and name?

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Judy your yard is beautiful. Do you own all that land? I would be afraid to let pipi out. Would you consider having him an indoor cat? I would love to have bell an in door cat but My gwen is upset. She keeps attacking Nemo and she went after me too. Bell went out side today but he kept going in and out all day. Stew ball Nemo is Part jack Russell and part Chihuahua. He is only 10 pounds and loves both my cats. Here is a picture of him

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to cover my couches .ugh I hate the way it looks. I have brand new couches that no one sees.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Linda. I have a half acre. I was an only "child" and inherited the house and land when my mother and father passed away. I actually grew up here though left for many years to live my life in NYC. I love it here. Yes I will have him as an indoor cat IF he decides he wants that. By the time he gets outside again he may not want to stay out too long anymore. He's been inside 3 weeks now and until the weather takes a turn for the better will remain inside. He'd dearly like to go out though. Your Nemo is adorable!

marian100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You really need to be handling him. Make food available only at certain times and sit with him while he eats. Be consistent, talk to him, gradually decrease the space between you and him. Start to pet him (do not try and pick him up for ages). Eventually he will come when you call him making the correct association that you are the hand that feeds him and you can be domesticated by him (he has already successfully trained you after all). Once he is starting to come when you call he is just about ready for you to pick him up. Take him for a walk (in your safe arms) around the house. Judge for yourself how he is travelling. Find a nook in the house he can hide in and place him in it. Then close the house up and forget about him. Watch tv, cook tea do normal things, he knows your routine anyway you have been under close observation for months whether or not you know it. Another thing that is useful is to add a litterbox to his shelter that you built. He may not use it but he will investigate. Once you have moved him inside you can move that inside also. Like as not he will quickly get it and you will be proudly owned by cat.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You really need to be handling him. Make food available only at certain times and sit with him while he eats. Be consistent, talk to him, gradually decrease the space between you and him. Start to pet him (do not try and pick him up for ages). Eventually he will come when you call him making the correct association that you are the hand that feeds him and you can be domesticated by him (he has already successfully trained you after all). Once he is starting to come when you call he is just about ready for you to pick him up. Take him for a walk (in your safe arms) around the house. Judge for yourself how he is travelling. Find a nook in the house he can hide in and place him in it. Then close the house up and forget about him. Watch tv, cook tea do normal things, he knows your routine anyway you have been under close observation for months whether or not you know it. Another thing that is useful is to add a litterbox to his shelter that you built. He may not use it but he will investigate. Once you have moved him inside you can move that inside also. Like as not he will quickly get it and you will be proudly owned by cat.
Thank you Marian but I think you misunderstand...Pi is already inside my house and has been for 3 weeks now because we are having a terrible winter here in the northeast. I touch him and pat him all the time and he and my dog (a small Shih Tzu) get along splendidly. However he won't let me pick him up yet I started this thread a few months ago when he was still living outside.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going to make bell and in door out door cat. But I am worried about him bring in fleas and ticks. I will have him on flea and tick meds. Am lucky he stays close to the house. He does not Wander to far from the house and like you I have woods in the back of my condo and not much traffic. He does not go in the street. He is an amazing cat that just follows me all over like a little dog.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to make bell and in door out door cat. But I am worried about him bring in fleas and ticks. I will have him on flea and tick meds. Am lucky he stays close to the house. He does not Wander to far from the house and like you I have woods in the back of my condo and not much traffic. He does not go in the street. He is an amazing cat that just follows me all over like a little dog.
Doesn't sound like you will have much trouble Linda. Just keep him on flea and tick meds and he should be fine. Actually I live on a VERY busy street. Way too much traffic. Years ago it was much quieter but after they put in route 287 above me the traffic has mushroomed. As long as Pi stays in my yard, my neighbors yards, and the woods behind us he is OK. So far he has shown no desire to go into the street but it is always a serious worry to me. As I said in an earlier post I grew up in this house. My first dog was killed in the road right outside my driveway and I was only 7 years old at the time. I will NEVER forget it and for that reason am always super cautious when I have a pet. That is why it is so difficult for me to let Pi go outside but I know he loves it so. Its difficult.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good but no comment?
Stewball not sure I know what you mean by this. I will take a printout to the doctor's office Monday when I take Happy over for his grooming. I'm not sure the Vet will agree to give me an opinion on a photo but its worth a try. The thing is the eye is looking pretty good now that I have been bathing it each night so don't know if the photo will show anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.