Trudy is constipated

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since this keeps happening, I'd go ahead and order the MiraLAX from the US. At least then you'll have it once it arrives and can use it once it gets there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Coralcup

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just collected her from the vets. Confirmed Megacolon
Said if ur happen again I should put her to sleep
NO
Lactoluse for life every 2 hours
Please help me

Coralcup

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I order the miralax off ebay if takes 2 to 4 weeks to arrive
I got the impression the vet expects me to get up in the night to give it her
How can I go out if shes on it every 2 hours for life too
I have other cats

Does the miralax really work as expensive

Coralcup

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm. Too ring them if Sge starts straining. They said give her more lactoluse

Isnt there any other way
Vet says she must eat the Hugh fibre response

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The only thing I know of for megacolon is a diet that is very low residue, meaning almost all protein and very little in the way of carbs so that their stools are greatly reduced, and some form of "medication" (i am using this term to include Miralax just in case you ever get your hands on some). Did you ask about the use of what is available to you where you are, as fionasmom fionasmom suggested? Most megacolon cats are also on Cisapride, which is a motility drug and helps the colon move the stool along. Did your Vet discuss anything other than Lactulose with you? I understand you have to see a particular veterinary practice for low income, but they should still discuss things with you if you bring them up.

Coralcup

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since this keeps happening, I'd go ahead and order the MiraLAX from the US. At least then you'll have it once it arrives and can use it once it gets there.
Takes up to 4 weeks to arrive

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Takes up to 4 weeks to arrive
Yes, I got that. You can be giving lactulose during those four weeks while you wait for it to arrive. Just because it take a while to get there doesn't mean there's no point in ordering it. Megacolon doesn't go away, which means you'll be dealing with this for years to come. So you might as well order some Miralax or Restoralax (thats the Canadian name for it) and use it once it arrives.

Coralcup

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've ordered the miralax
I have slippery elm. How much hiw often

I. Been reading up on Megacolon, with surgery it's a death sentence
I asked the vets if anything can be done and they said no
On. Google someone mentioned a colectomy

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From the Little Big Cat page:

Oral Use
To give by mouth, mix about 1/4 teaspoon of Slippery Elm bark powder with cold water for every 10 pounds of body weight (cat or dog). The bulk powder may be very fluffy, so pack it down as much as possible to measure it. Alternatively, use 1/2 capsule (per 10 pounds), opened and the contents mixed with water. Slippery Elm powder will absorb many times its own weight in water, so be sure to add enough to make a moderately thick gruel. This gruel can be given by syringe or eyedropper, or added to baby food, canned food, or a homemade diet. It has a slightly sweet taste and is usually well-tolerated by cats and dogs when mixed with food. Give a dose 5 to 30 minutes before meals for sore throat, and 30 minutes before meals for digestive tract problems, such as inflammatory bowel disease, until symptoms resolve.

Or you can make a syrup using this method.

To make slippery elm syrup
Recipe
Author Anitra Frazier gives the following recipe for Slippery Elm Bark syrup in her book, The New Natural Cat, which applies equally well to our canine companions when adjusted for weight:

• Into a small saucepan place 1/2 cup cold water and 1 teaspoon powdered slippery elm bark.
  • Whip with a fork.
  • Bring to simmer over low flame, stirring constantly.
  • Simmer 1 or 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
  • Cool and refrigerate. Keeps 7 or 8 days.
  • Give a teaspoon of syrup (5 cc) for an average-size cat (again, about 10 pounds) 5 minutes before a meal to minimize diarrhea, or to soothe and heal mouth ulcers.
The syrup method says its for diarrhea, but slippery elm is good for constipation as well.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you've ordered the Miralax. It's so much better than Lactulose in both effectiveness and ease of administration! It isn't nasty and sticky and is very easy to give. Once it arrives, you can mix 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of Miralax with 1 tsp of water. Mix it until it dissolves and then you can mix that into Trudy's food. It's both tasteless and scent free. Unlike Lactulose, which draws water from the body into the colon, Miralax uses the water it was mixed with to add water to the colon. So if you mix more water with the Miralax, the more water will go to the colon to soften the poop there. Miralax mixed with water can be given twice a day and adjusted in quantity and how often it's given based on Trudy's resulting poop.

Coralcup

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope she survives that long, I'm. Really worried
Stupid vet says if it happens again I should let her go
I was in floods of tears
The cats are all I have. I live alone
I love her she's so sweet

The thought of giving lactoluse every 2 hours for life isn't a nice thing either. She s hard to medicate

She's not interested in the high fibre biscuits either
She keeps going to the kitchen tap
I can't watch them all 24 hours a day too
Also means I can never leave the house as she needs lactoluse every 2 hours
I feel frustrated worried and upset
So many horror stories online too Bout this condition

I go without so I can feed my cats

Coralcup

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From the Little Big Cat page:

Oral Use
To give by mouth, mix about 1/4 teaspoon of Slippery Elm bark powder with cold water for every 10 pounds of body weight (cat or dog). The bulk powder may be very fluffy, so pack it down as much as possible to measure it. Alternatively, use 1/2 capsule (per 10 pounds), opened and the contents mixed with water. Slippery Elm powder will absorb many times its own weight in water, so be sure to add enough to make a moderately thick gruel. This gruel can be given by syringe or eyedropper, or added to baby food, canned food, or a homemade diet. It has a slightly sweet taste and is usually well-tolerated by cats and dogs when mixed with food. Give a dose 5 to 30 minutes before meals for sore throat, and 30 minutes before meals for digestive tract problems, such as inflammatory bowel disease, until symptoms resolve.

Or you can make a syrup using this method.

To make slippery elm syrup
Recipe
Author Anitra Frazier gives the following recipe for Slippery Elm Bark syrup in her book, The New Natural Cat, which applies equally well to our canine companions when adjusted for weight:

• Into a small saucepan place 1/2 cup cold water and 1 teaspoon powdered slippery elm bark.
  • Whip with a fork.
  • Bring to simmer over low flame, stirring constantly.
  • Simmer 1 or 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
  • Cool and refrigerate. Keeps 7 or 8 days.
  • Give a teaspoon of syrup (5 cc) for an average-size cat (again, about 10 pounds) 5 minutes before a meal to minimize diarrhea, or to soothe and heal mouth ulcers.
The syrup method says its for diarrhea, but slippery elm is good for constipation as well.
Thank you

Coralcup

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If She gets blocked again the choice is euthanasia or find a vet who does colectomy and find the money
What would you do if it was your cat

Coralcup

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trudys just had her first poop since I got her back from surgery

It was diahrhea
Is that bad
Better than constipated
She won't eat the fibre response
She's ate some canned food. Seems bright

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is another website with excellent information on constipation. Gut Bacteria and Fiber Since Trudy won’t eat the fiber food, that’s okay. It’s much better for her to eat food with a high moisture content which would be canned or raw food. To increase her fiber, you can sprinkle Inulin, or FOS into her canned food. You can use psyllium husk, but I would use a small amount of it since it has some insoluble fiber which bulks the poop. Soluble fiber helps the poop retain moisture which makes it softer. The feline constipation site explains all of that and more.

Since you asked, if she were my cat, I would definitely not have Trudy put to sleep over this. I would instead have her on a raw diet with added water with each meal. I would cook and offer her bone broth to try to further increase hydration. I would mix soluble fiber, slippery elm, and/or Miralax into her food and/or would use a product like this to help keep her poops regular. USDA Organic Probiotics with Prebiotics I would adjust how much of those things I gave her based on the resulting poops. Giving less if she has diarrhea and giving a little more if she’s still constipated.

That doesnt mean you have to do those things. They’re just what I would do. I’ve never had a cat with megacolon though, just one with a persistent prolapse.

Coralcup

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Like my Toby who keeps prolapsing. He's doing great atm touch wood

SShe not eating a great deal. Had some can tuna. Little bit