Trapping The Same Cat A Second Time

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

After you have TNRd a cat, is it likely you will ever be able to trap it again? I want to take in a feral cat from my colony but I will only be able to do so after I TNR the rest of them. I had to let him go for because I don't have enough room or time to socialize him while I am putting the other 9 cats through the TNR program. I was hoping to catch him last but he proved to be more curious than I thought.

What are the chances he will wander into the trap again, seeing as his first experience was not so good?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi be81174, thank you for doing the TNR in your area.

Is the feral you wanted ever come near you? Was there a chance like getting close to him without trapping him? Sometimes he may not be as feral as you think he is.

You can try getting him come close to you by luring him with food and try to get acquainted with him and see if he response to you. Try this not so stressful tactic first and it dosen't work, then do the same, starve him for a day and trap him and bring him in and slowly socialize him. It may take some time but you have to be very patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

While he was here recovering, he never hissed or anything. He even allowed me to touch him (although he took no comfort in it). he might have some potential. I even posted a question about it - in another thread.

I came to the conclusion that I couldn't socialize this feral, house the 9 or 10 others that will rotate through as I TNR them, keep my 2 cats, work full time etc...but when I am finished with the TNR I would have more time and patience to work with him. I let him back into the colony earlier this evening. He looked so HAPPY! He ran to his cat friends and looked wide awake. Indoors he was lethargic, didn't eat, drink or move. I thought he was sick...turns out he was just miserable.

Outdoors he is very timid. He never came close to me but knows my voice means food so he would come out to eyeball me from a small distance. If I sat still he would hang out with me but not too close. He'd just come and sit on the grass close by and relax. I bring toys to play with his siblings but he sits back and watches. I'll finish my TNR (I have to trap his momma before she gets pregnant again!) and then I will get to work on a plan for "Spike" and probably his siblings too. :-)

Thanks for your input. I'm new

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ok, you have to be patience. But looks like this boy has hope. When he eyeball you from a distance, do a slow blink with him and look away. This shows that you are submitted to him.
Yes, continue the play with the toys and keep it a routine till he gets used to you. Keep working on him and don't give up.

Keep us posted please and if you have any questions, please ask as there are many others here with good experiences about such things and can help you :wink:

coffee grinder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We were able to re-trap 2 cats to bring them inside after their TNR. We wired open the trap & starting feeding them near it, then in front of it, then just inside it, then way in the back of the trap. It took a couple weeks of moving their food progressively closer to the back of the trap for them to get over their reluctance to go back in. After a few days of feeding in the back of the trap we set it & got them. We socialized using all the advice on this site (isolate in cat proof room, spend lots of time sitting with them & talking quietly, interact with toys once they are comfortable in the same room, etc.) It worked out great with both cats. The investment of time is well worth it. Good luck! All of your cats are lucky to have such a great caretaker.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To answer the OP, yes, it can be done. We have a colony on our street & once or twice I have asked the shelter to come back & remove a TNR'd cat to the shelter. I have done this because, IMO, the cats in question were adoptable & too lovely to be in a colony.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!

After you have TNRd a cat, is it likely you will ever be able to trap it again? I want to take in a feral cat from my colony but I will only be able to do so after I TNR the rest of them. I had to let him go for because I don't have enough room or time to socialize him while I am putting the other 9 cats through the TNR program. I was hoping to catch him last but he proved to be more curious than I thought.

What are the chances he will wander into the trap again, seeing as his first experience was not so good?
When I was trapping my ferals I trapped two of them twice. So it can be done.

Keep up the good work.

Muffy