Trappers On My Complex

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so upset I don’t even know what I’m doing.

I work as regional manager for a property management firm in Orlando. We deal primarily with large apartment complexes. This morning one of the managers for a complex in my portfolio called to tell me that several residents there paid a “trapper” to trap and dispose of an established feral colony on the property.

I immediately drove the hour and a half to the property and spoke to the staff and several eye witnesses. They’ve all told me essentially the same story--that three men showed up with noose hooks and pellet guns and removed the eight de-sexed, vaccinated and perfectly healthy cats that made up the colony. They put them in covered plastic tubs (not carriers) with no air holes and took them away in the back of two pickup trucks.

They were paid $200.00 and have most likely murdered those cats. The property manager, several members of maintenance and I have gone through every cat at the local shelters and ours aren’t there.

We’ve looked everywhere.

I will be exercising my legal right to get rid of the residents who paid the trappers. When those residents require rental history, I will disclose the fact that I would NEVER rent to them again because they illegally entered into a contract which permanently altered the property. Our attorneys are drafting the Seven Day Notices at this very moment which I will personally deliver before leaving today. They will have seven days, not a second longer, to pack their belongings and go.

When I find the trappers—and I will, I promise--I’m going to sue them into oblivion. They had no legal right to do what they did and they knew that.

Those eight cats were sweet and good and never bothered a soul. One was a stray that our vet said had to be close to fifteen.

I honestly cannot believe this is happening.

I just can’t believe it.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry! This is a nightmare, those poor cats. And people wonder why ferals are so afraid of humans. People think that feral cats have no worth, like they aren't real cats. I hope you can find out who did this. Thank you for standing up for these cats. Somebody has to. It will show these heartless people that ferals do have worth and somebody cares about them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one of the most upsetting things that has happened in a long time. It's not like the cats were jumping on cars or anything. This property has garaged parking. When questioned the residents told me that they just didn't like the way the cats looked! One person claimed he was allergic but the cats are outside, not in his apartment!

I know it's wrong to take delight in the misfortune of others but I CANNOT WAIT to serve seven day notices on these awful, awful people.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once I got the name of one of the residents, I was able to convince her to give the others up. I offered to spare her if she gave me the names of the others.

She sang like a canary.

And then I told her that I'd changed my mind.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And every last one of them knew that they didn't have "legal standing" to hire a trapper for the property. They all knew it was illegal but carried through with it anyway. They called numerous trappers, all of whom refused and said that they had to be hired by the complex, not by residents. I honestly don't believe that the trappers they hired are operating legally.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome detective work. Somebody's got to stand up for feral cats and show that they deserve to live too. It's not even their property, so they should have called management, they had no right to have them killed. Can you find out who the guys were that trapped them and prosecute them too? Try to get their phone number.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I literally have tears in my eyes reading this. :bawling:

I have always enjoyed your postings and how much care you put into your colonies. It goes beyond just simple care and maintenance but actual love for all the cats who live on your property. To hear that the tenants would think it was in any way legal or moral to kill cats who were peacefully living there is beyond any imagining. I just don't understand.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to read this. It makes me sick to my stomach. You cared so much for those precious little lives.

Hopefully you can put the trappers out of business, though that was probably a fly-by-night "side job", not their normal business. Either way, sue them not only for trespassing, but cruelty to animals, and anything else you can throw the book at them for. Bye-bye to the tenants too...tell 'em not to let the door hit them in the butt on their way out...just get out.

:bawling: :fuming:

I never see any ferals over 2 years old in my neighborhood...I've often wondered if the apartments behind me do an annual round-up or something. :(

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I literally have tears in my eyes reading this. :bawling:

I have always enjoyed your postings and how much care you put into your colonies. It goes beyond just simple care and maintenance but actual love for all the cats who live on your property. To hear that the tenants would think it was in any way legal or moral to kill cats who were peacefully living there is beyond any imagining. I just don't understand.
Thank you, Kieka. That means more to me than you'll ever know, especially today. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have cried all day long.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
my heart aches for you. I am so angry! :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: Maybe karma will do their thing and well return the favor. How sad for you and your beloved feline friends. People do suck. Which is why I want to live in the country far away from anyone. I just can't stand people. It's not getting any better either. It's getting worse. So very sorry you had to discover this. Security cameras would be the next thing I would install. For future issues.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... just... wow

That is just heartbreaking.
I am so sorry.

The arrogance of some people just astounds me. Did they complain about the cats to the office before they decided on this action? If they were previously told that the colony was part of the property and if they were so bothered by it then they could have exercised their completely legal right to move. As it is, they are going to have to move anyway... under less than optimal circumstances to boot.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You go girl! I just hate the thought of what they did to those babies.

Sounds like an issue you need to pass on to Alley Cat Allies and the ASPCA....can’t hurt...maybe they would bring the really BIG stick to the party!

I would utube the whole thing showing the site and describe what happened. The power of the net!

Please keep us posted on the progress. If I could find those guys and I had an uncle Guedo in chicago I’d do a contract on them!

Sad