Transitioning Out Of Free Feeding

hilgenep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

When I adopted my cat Finn, he was being fed canned twice a day and free fed kibble by his foster mom. I was told he is 2 years old but I'm fairly certain he is NOT 2 and is probably more like 8-10 months.

He still gets canned food twice a day and is free fed kibble. I've read that this is can be a good diet for kittens and their lightening-fast metabolisms. But as he moves into adulthood and his metabolism slows, should I be phasing out the kibble? If so, what is a good age to switch to a scheduled-only, canned-only diet?

Thanks!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can phase out kibble and afford all wet food, especially in a male cat, do this. Their urethra is narrower than a female's to pass debris and kibble keeps them in a state of dehydration because cats have a low thirst drive, so the urine is less dilute to keep debris from accumulating. My Tommy was blocked 3 times.
He actually didn't get onto scheduled meals until he was about 3 and a the time he was placed on a diet and we decided to feed him five small meals per day. Some people find that 2 or 3 feedings work just fine in their household, but my bubba Tom is ALWAYS hungry so it's small and often. He's been on an all wet diet since he was 7 and we found that the cans of food we wanted to feed him ended up costing more than making our own food, so he's been on homemade since December.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilgenep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely like to get him on an all-wet diet eventually. I've heard that it's particularly beneficial for male cats. I'm sorry to hear Tommy had to go through that all that :(

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'd definitely like to get him on an all-wet diet eventually. I've heard that it's particularly beneficial for male cats. I'm sorry to hear Tommy had to go through that all that :(
Hi hilgenep, check out this thread :- Should I Feed My Cat Only Dry Food?

I've posted some articles there regarding dry food :wink:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is up to you, but I personally believe an all-wet diet is healthiest, the earlier the better. I've raised my current kitten, who I adopted at 4 months old, on all wet meals without kibble.

hilgenep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I should clarify a little. I definitely want to get him on an all-canned diet eventually. I guess my question is, is he old enough to be on a scheduled feeding routine? I work during the day so he can't get a lunchtime meal and I guess that's what makes me nervous. I don't want him to be get hungry during the day because he is still a kitten. Is he old enough to go from breakfast until dinner without eating?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. When my kitten was younger, I fed her at 6am when I got up, just before 9am before I left for work. Then she had two more meals after I got home from work at 6pm and before bed (9-10pm). On my days off, I would feed her an extra small meal during the day, but she never went hungry.

She's 9.5 months old now and eats 3 meals a day: one before work, one after work and one before bed.

You can feed 2-3 meals, like an adult, starting at 6 months, even though kittens should still be fed as much as they want to eat.

hilgenep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. When my kitten was younger, I fed her at 6am when I got up, just before 9am before I left for work. Then she had two more meals after I got home from work at 6pm and before bed (9-10pm). On my days off, I would feed her an extra small meal during the day, but she never went hungry.

She's 9.5 months old now and eats 3 meals a day: one before work, one after work and one before bed.

You can feed 2-3 meals, like an adult, starting at 6 months, even though kittens should still be fed as much as they want to eat.
Awesome, thanks! I think I will do just that - one before work, one when I get home, and one before I go to bed.