Should I Feed My Cat Only Dry Food?

aforumuser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started out feeding her a combination of dry and wet food, dry in the morning and wet food at night. I'm thinking about switching to completely dry food such as blue buffalo

Is it a good idea to feed her like this? 1 cup of dry food in the bowl and leave it for the whole day, then replace it the next day

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wet food is generally better for cats.

Cats have a low thirst drive so wet food gives them the moisture they need. It also tends to be lower carb which cats as obligate carnivores do best with.

Most people on here and who know cat nutrition will agree that a mid range wet food is better than best high quality dry food. I also am personally not a fan of blue buffalo as the sole food source; it has a fairly high fat content.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can do both, then do both. One of my female cats won't take to wet food so they are on kibble together. But, Princess Yue Pants just had a good dental cleaning today so I've been giving her canned ever since she came home. The boys got off kibble cold turkey in December for urinary health after Tom got a blockage. Those guys will eat anything. I change their kibble to canned, then to commercial raw, and then I started making my own raw.
Wet is better for them because they have a low thirst drive and wet keeps them hydrated all day. I do still have water fountains on both ends of the house the girls use every day, but the boys very little.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
IMG_2888.GIF with the above posters. Go for wet if you can.

The words wet and dry gives very a clear distinction over their meaning. Wet being hydrated and dry is dehydrated. So I choose the former.

I feed my boy canned food and still add water to it so that I'm sure he is fully hydrated on top of the 85% moisture that comes with the wet food. Dry food often states 10% moisture but how long can 10% last? Even wet food dries up after being exposed for a long time.

Here are some articles for you to consider :-

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

What Dry Food Does to Your Cat's Gut - Feline Nutrition

What Dry Food Does to Your Cat's Fur - Feline Nutrition

What Dry Food Does to Your Cat's Pee - Feline Nutrition

What Dry Food Does to Your Cat's Teeth - Feline Nutrition

Dry Cat Food - The Big Easy - Feline Nutrition

6 Reasons why dry food does not clean your cat’s teeth

One More Reason to Ditch Dry Food - Feline Nutrition